Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm rolling a Barbarian as soon as I get to playing it.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Getting the impression a lot of people here say it's hard because they're playing on the stat-bloat/dice-bloat difficulties i.e. not the Rules as Written. :M

Agreed. I've played on challenging and no character has been downed even once. Granted, I've barely left the tutorial but the stories of people dying to the assassin's are either people playing on a statbloat difficulty when you are still on a level without any real tactical options (or chance to buy stuff etc) or people completely unfamiliar with dnd/pathfinder.

troupeg

Educated
Uh oh. Cohh made an Inquisitor and only gave him 10 strength. RIP.
I just started watching this guy when I saw the Twitch link. Is he new to D&D? He's making some dumb conclusions that I can't follow, and insisting on playing on a high difficulty.

He's definitely not new to DND/Tabletop Rulesets/etc. He's played at the very least both Baldur's Gate games, Planescape: Torment and both Neverwinter Nights games

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I may hate Jan Jansen, but at least he was written as a retarded character acting like a retard, sounding like a retard, and he still had the good sense to be more circumspect considering his nature and dealings. Hell, you actually had to help him *first* (after it had been implied that he was up to no good, thus informing him that you were no legal teetotaler, before he revealed anything to you at all.
I think he is representative of the general BG2 style. At least the way I remember it - my wife finished BG2/ToB a couple of months ago. If you think he is not representative, show me what you think is.
I don't disagree, so I'm not sure what you want me to say. He's a shit character, but as far as shit characters go, he's well-written.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Shadenuat

Arcane
First dungeon gave me 10k gold so that's enough to make 5 custom dudes. Although I did not sell these relic thingies that say "antiquer would pay more". Anyone knows what's that about?

Bought 2 Full Plates +1 instead. Packing steel.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Pathfinder balance goes like this: Play a caster.
Eh, nah. Most D&D-derived RPGs vastly downplay the 3E/PF caster supremacy because:
1) the reason casters are gods in 3E and derivatives is because they can solve *every* situation with spells and often do so better than other classes, but in cRPGs, non-combat uses of spells are much less abusive. You can't Dominate a king into becoming your puppet, you can't scry->teleport->nuke something out of existence, you can't teleport everywhere at will, Charming someone to interrogate them usually doesn't work (it's basically a low-key mind control spell for combat purpose). You usually also can't fly, either. If you want to use summons to trip every trap on your way instead of using a Rogue, they are sometimes coded to be unable to use doors, for instance;
2) martials in every D&D edition are very competent at dishing out damage, and that's what most cRPG problem solving boils down to; Fighters are usually much better at dealing damage than Wizards because their damage is on demand, easy to access, and very low resource-intensive. You don't have to abuse the 5 minute adventuring day if you are stacked with Fighter-types. Mages and their kin are amazing for battlefield control and enabling damage to actually get through magical defenses (with dispels), and also really good at dealing AoE damage - which is sometimes unwieldy (friendly fire, ahoy!) unless the game is designed to exclusively fight enemies in Cloudkill shaped rooms with a lockable door. But if you want to crack down on an HP sponge boss, you want swords, not (magical) words;
3) you often get really fucking good magic weaponry in cRPGs, but not too much in terms of insane spellcaster help. Scrolls are randomized and not guaranteed, which may be a problem if you're not a Sorcerer. There aren't many powerful utility items for Wizards as in tabletop, where you can craft a wand for every contingency in existence to save spell slots.
I doubt this game has much non-combat magic usage, but if it is faithful to Pathfinder's combat systems, then martials are probably still capable of chaining feats and features to get some combat maneuvers, which elevates them from the traditional Baldur's Gate beatstick. So you can actually have martials with a semblance of battlefield control.

Cael

Arcane
Pathfinder balance goes like this: Play a caster.
Eh, nah. Most D&D-derived RPGs vastly downplay the 3E/PF caster supremacy because:
1) the reason casters are gods in 3E and derivatives is because they can solve *every* situation with spells and often do so better than other classes, but in cRPGs, non-combat uses of spells are much less abusive. You can't Dominate a king into becoming your puppet, you can't scry->teleport->nuke something out of existence, you can't teleport everywhere at will, Charming someone to interrogate them usually doesn't work (it's basically a low-key mind control spell for combat purpose). You usually also can't fly, either. If you want to use summons to trip every trap on your way instead of using a Rogue, they are sometimes coded to be unable to use doors, for instance;
2) martials in every D&D edition are very competent at dishing out damage, and that's what most cRPG problem solving boils down to; Fighters are usually much better at dealing damage than Wizards because their damage is on demand, easy to access, and very low resource-intensive. You don't have to abuse the 5 minute adventuring day if you are stacked with Fighter-types. Mages and their kin are amazing for battlefield control and enabling damage to actually get through magical defenses (with dispels), and also really good at dealing AoE damage - which is sometimes unwieldy (friendly fire, ahoy!) unless the game is designed to exclusively fight enemies in Cloudkill shaped rooms with a lockable door. But if you want to crack down on an HP sponge boss, you want swords, not (magical) words;
3) you often get really fucking good magic weaponry in cRPGs, but not too much in terms of insane spellcaster help. Scrolls are randomized and not guaranteed, which may be a problem if you're not a Sorcerer. There aren't many powerful utility items for Wizards as in tabletop, where you can craft a wand for every contingency in existence to save spell slots.
I doubt this game has much non-combat magic usage, but if it is faithful to Pathfinder's combat systems, then martials are probably still capable of chaining feats and features to get some combat maneuvers, which elevates them from the traditional Baldur's Gate beatstick. So you can actually have martials with a semblance of battlefield control.
One other thing is that getting a fighter kitted out with a golfbag of weapons and armour and stuff in PnP runs you up hard against the wealth-by-level table whereas a cRPG shits all over the WBL table. This tips the balance towards fighter classes.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Where can you get fire bombs?

Alchemist's fire? Bokken sells them.

I went to Old Sycamore and it turns out that following the story path without doing side quests seems to be the way to go at first, the area is full of relatively easy enemies compared to the shit you encounter at the Temple of the Elk.

Sentinel

Arcane
Where can you get fire bombs?

Alchemist's fire? Bokken sells them.

I went to Old Sycamore and it turns out that following the story path without doing side quests seems to be the way to go at first, the area is full of relatively easy enemies compared to the shit you encounter at the Temple of the Elk.
He's not at my trading post anymore :negative:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ad hardest difficulty - a small team, possibly no time to properly balance it out. A word of the wise - never play any RPG on launch, you're wasting that special first moment on a massively undercooked product. Has been true for almost a decade now.

Also a reminder about how completely retarded the hardest difficulty in D:OS2 was on launch. After going against a concrete wall for hours I finally gave up and went lower. No idea if they patched it out eventually.

Elex

Arbiter
First dungeon gave me 10k gold so that's enough to make 5 custom dudes. Although I did not sell these relic thingies that say "antiquer would pay more". Anyone knows what's that about?

Bought 2 Full Plates +1 instead. Packing steel.
pathfinder: moneymaker

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Did you managed to get the final companion in the caves? I clicked to recruit her and the party screen didn't pop up. Thus the character disappeared and not i can't recruit her.
:negative: It was the only fuckable woman,fuck you bastards!!!

troupeg

Educated
I just started watching this guy when I saw the Twitch link. Is he new to D&D? He's making some dumb conclusions that I can't follow, and insisting on playing on a high difficulty.

Question: Is this guy dumb?

Answer: He's a streamer.

Not really. He apparently, instead of raging and calling the game too hard, went and read how the game and it's stats/classes/feats worked off stream. That's not a typical streamer move.

To quote him: "Why am I doing better? Because I actually went and read how the game works"

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So the settings lie? Interesting.
They don't lie, but for whatever reason there is no default "Core Rules" difficulty - Normal nerfs monsters while Challenging buffs them.
To get "Core Rules" you basically take "Challenging" and change the option for monster scaling to off. This will probably break the achievement for playing on "core rules or above" difficulty though.

That said, some people report that balance is stern even without buffs since typical enemy CR levels are higher than expected.

DemonKing

Arcane
I can't say the journal does a great job of telling you where to go next - I basically spent most of my gametime today wondering around the map with my level 2 party getting my butt handed to me (at one stage I met a large water elemental that one shotted my dwarf with a 30HP bash). Wouldn't be a big issue except the game seems to set you a time limit to complete the main quest.

Elex

Arbiter
So the settings lie? Interesting.
They don't lie, but for whatever reason there is no default "Core Rules" difficulty - Normal nerfs monsters while Challenging buffs them.
To get "Core Rules" you basically take "Challenging" and change the option for monster scaling to off. This will probably break the achievement for playing on "core rules or above" difficulty though.

That said, some people report that balance is stern even without buffs since typical enemy CR levels are higher than expected.
enemy CR is upscaled but on normal enemy deal less damage... so game is balanced?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom