Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Stabwound

Arcane
So, this shit is coming out in less than a week. Who all is playing? It isn't divided into separate servers you can group with pretty much anyone as long as you're in the same ladder.

I wish cuthroat league was in from the start, but it looks like it won't be for a while until they fix the balance issues it has.

Damn, I can't wait for this game.

aris

Arcane
I'm definitely going to play it. Looks like a worthy ARPG contender, unlike what TL2 was.

Raapys

Arcane
Yes and yes.

The only gameplay-influencing thing you can pay real cash for is stash space. Which gives you an advantage in the long run, but not in regular play. There are also character slots, though I wouldn't consider that as having an effect on the actual gameplay. You can always just make another free account, too. If you have the patience, you can actually use those other accounts as mules, thus avoiding having to buy more stash.

On the other hand, it's not a shame to support what looks to be the best diablo-clone we're likely to see for the near future.

aris

Arcane
Much of the graphics really looks improved! Combat also looks more fluid now with better animations! Good stuff, getting more and more excited about this.

Raapys

Arcane
I've never played any online game as stable as PoE. Patches lead to a downtime of just a few minutes, server restarts are pretty much instant. I think it'll be fine. And it's not like there'll be millions hitting the server at once. Probably no more than a few thousand, given the lack of publicity.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Will there be subscriptions?

Is respec a pay token?

There's no "full respec", you get respec points every now and then but that's it.

F2P, yes. With cosmetics, I think they'll be coming soon.

But also P2W (stash tabs)... unless they've removed regal factories somehow (haven't played in a month+). It's not a minor thing, either. It's pretty much the difference between being filthy damn rich and being able to afford anything that's on the market and in the state of "well, I hope I find a cool item to trade!" Mules do the same thing (and are free), but a) you are limited to mules as well b) it's way harder to keep track of mules as opposed to stash tabs.

Castanova

Prophet
So, this shit is coming out in less than a week. Who all is playing? It isn't divided into separate servers you can group with pretty much anyone as long as you're in the same ladder.

I wish cuthroat league was in from the start, but it looks like it won't be for a while until they fix the balance issues it has.

Damn, I can't wait for this game.

Yeah, can't wait. I bought the Kiwi supporter pack. I wanted to give them some money and I got a limited-time-offer pet out of the deal. Plus 250 "points" to spend on stash tabs.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, that applies mostly to older/softcore servers. On a race server regals aren't terribly valuable compared to cool items to trade or just scads of lower tier orbs to use for making decent items to fill a slot you haven't upgraded in 20 levels.

I agree that there is definitely a competitive advantage in having more stash space though. But it's pretty minor compared to something like selling respecs, xp bonuses, or the like. You have a lot of stash space to begin with, and unless you're using a program to keep track of item names for you, the extra space probably won't be of much use to you anyways since trying to sort dozens of items on multiple pages by name is incredibly tedious. You're probably just as well off playing the market on a server where regals are that valuable.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I decided to update my client in preparation for the open beta... I haven't played in months... going to take forever to update. I suspect so much has changed that it will be almost a totally different game.

Kind of looking forward to it.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Well, that applies mostly to older/softcore servers. On a race server regals aren't terribly valuable compared to cool items to trade or just scads of lower tier orbs to use for making decent items to fill a slot you haven't upgraded in 20 levels.

I agree that there is definitely a competitive advantage in having more stash space though. But it's pretty minor compared to something like selling respecs, xp bonuses, or the like. You have a lot of stash space to begin with, and unless you're using a program to keep track of item names for you, the extra space probably won't be of much use to you anyways since trying to sort dozens of items on multiple pages by name is incredibly tedious. You're probably just as well off playing the market on a server where regals are that valuable.

http://www.poeex.info/

A regal is 2:1 to gcp (according to this site, I doubt the current xr are much different). 1 gcp can already buy you some decent late/end-game unique like http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Perandus_Blazon or Wondertrap, 10 gcp can buy your pretty much 99% of stuff you'll ever need including nice-looking 5L maybe even a 6L. The most I've seen is 40 gcp traded for the best wand on the server.

In other words, a regal factory is tremendously profitable once it gets going and once you start exchanging lists with other "regal factory owners". And yes, these guys *do* keep lists of things they have, it's not that tedius when you realize it effectively breaks the economy for you in a game based around an economy. It's really the difference between being filthy, filthy rich and one of those guys who finds 1 gcp in maybe a week (at least that's their droprate for me...).

Allanon

Augur
I decided to update my client in preparation for the open beta... I haven't played in months... going to take forever to update. I suspect so much has changed that it will be almost a totally different game.

Kind of looking forward to it.

I'm in a similar situation. Had the beta access for almost a year now I think, played it a little at first and didn't find it interesting. Looking back, I think it was inferior to TL2 and even D3. There are some interesting ideas, but the overall package isn't that exciting. In any case, decided to re-download the client again to see what changed in the meanwhile.

Garbonzo

Educated
I tried to like this game and I even bought the beta.

But the skill tree was just way, way, way too complicated for this girl's brain.

It seems needlessly over complex even. Like an old Final Fantasy game or something.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

A regal is 2:1 to gcp (according to this site, I doubt the current xr are much different). 1 gcp can already buy you some decent late/end-game unique like http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Perandus_Blazon or Wondertrap, 10 gcp can buy your pretty much 99% of stuff you'll ever need including nice-looking 5L maybe even a 6L. The most I've seen is 40 gcp traded for the best wand on the server.

In other words, a regal factory is tremendously profitable once it gets going and once you start exchanging lists with other "regal factory owners". And yes, these guys *do* keep lists of things they have, it's not that tedius when you realize it effectively breaks the economy for you in a game based around an economy. It's really the difference between being filthy, filthy rich and one of those guys who finds 1 gcp in maybe a week (at least that's their droprate for me...).
So basically, the more paying looters that are out there the less worth the regal orb will have? Where is the problem? The economy will fix itself to make farming them worthless.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I tried to like this game and I even bought the beta.

But the skill tree was just way, way, way too complicated for this girl's brain.

It seems needlessly over complex even. Like an old Final Fantasy game or something.

Legit way to do it is to copy someone else's build that you like - it's what I did. It's also complex only in the way of overwhelming you with info (it's huge), what it is though is either simple +stat nodes (like +10% elemental damage), or "key" nodes that define your character, like Chaos Infusion (you always have 1 HP max, but you get Chaos damage immunity and your energy shield doubles).

I don't know or care for the majority of the skill tree, the only char playstyle that appeals to me anyway is Witch so I just focus on tinkering with that part of the whole and ignore the rest.

So basically, the more paying looters that are out there the less worth the regal orb will have? Where is the problem?

Problem is it's paid-for advantage. Which shouldn't exist in principle - it really is a slippery slope for devs.

Re: your point, the current regal price is actually the *result* of this farming... This shit has been going on for months, but price hasn't budged much. So far it's been kinda "inside" knowledge too, you need to play quite a lot of time to get to know about regal farming in the first place. Reason I'm spreading this everywhere so, as you say, more people will abuse it and hopefully either it becomes pointless or gets cut by devs.

Honestly though, I'd appreciate someone more knowing's input into the whole issue and the future of it. I'm not an expert here myself

abija

Prophet
For people updating really old clients, you're better off just doing a clean install. The patcher is trying to do a bit too much and you end up with empty spaces in the big file increasing its size for no reason.
Also, about inventory management, pretty sure their site is giving you full info on your stash/char/inventory so should be pretty easy to make a tool to handle that.

empi

Augur
Man i'm too excited for open beta, but resisting playing much PoE atm so i'll keep my energies for some hardcore grinding. Pretty much sorted out the build i'll run, a fairly nerf-free wand shadow. Also there's not enough hype for open beta on the kkkodex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom