Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Peachcurl

Cipher
Is it worth playing for single player? Are there micro transactions or that sort of garbage?

Yes, single player is worth it.

But yes, there are microtransactions. Most are cosmetics only, with the exception of "stash tabs" which are essentially extensions of item storage.

You probably don't need additional stash tabs for playing through the main campaign. But they are pretty much mandatory for the end game.

Üstad

Arcane
Is it worth playing for single player? Are there micro transactions or that sort of garbage?

Yes, single player is worth it.

But yes, there are microtransactions. Most are cosmetics only, with the exception of "stash tabs" which are essentially extensions of item storage.

You probably don't need additional stash tabs for playing through the main campaign. But they are pretty much mandatory for the end game.
Thanks good to know. I haven't spend a penny for micro transactions ever and no intention to do so in future. I have special hatred for people force this shit.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
40.png

Overall thoughts on the league:

- Early Archnem implementation was no bueno, but after a couple of weeks the nerfs and the power of my character both caught up and since then there were no issues.
- League mechanic itself is simple but satisfying. Rounding up a big pack and blasting them with a panda for a big loot explosion felt really nice, but also abusing Abyss nodes to farm high ilvl items with Sentinels was interesting.
- New Atlas Keystones are great and the ability to block certain content is a godsend. Harvest in every other map is powerful, but also grating as fuck. I hope it gets removed next league or in the near future.
- Uber Bosses were a mixed bag. Some felt like the difficulty was appropriate. Some felt like ass rape. The rewards do not justify the difficulty increase at all. Omni/Ashes/Melding rarity is now appropriate for their respective power level, but still feels like a gay change from the league before. Especially now that you could really use that power for the Uber bosses.
- Challenges were pretty nice for the most part and made extended the life cycle of the league for me. The rewards are pretty good with two sets and the set itself looks good. I would have preferred something different, because I already have a bunch of sets, but it's still good. The last couple of challenges felt like a chore though. I wish they would have featured Heist and Expedition as an option, instead of the Legion, Blight and Delve ones.

I wanted to play some more builds, but right now I want to take a break and recharge my hype for the next league. I'm gonna go play Stray now.

Last notable drops:

notable1.png

Perkel

Arcane
how many years ago they announced poe 2?

2018. So 4 years already.

Also last year Chris said that they finished act 1 and they were in middle of act 2 out of 7 acts total.
So yeah at best they are in act 3-4.

They were supposed to "take on Diablo 4" but it looks like they will be late by multiple years to take it on.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hyuuuuge nerf to minion builds. Depending on exact details minions might be trash for league starting now, at the very least.

Mostly nerfs as well, skimming the buffed skills didn't make anything stand out as seeming viable.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I just don't get why they couldn't just put the +2 minion level on the Tree instead of simply deleting it. That way you could have actually enabled more minion builds that don't rely on the Necromancer Ascendancy. They did it with Ghost Dance and Wicked Ward.

Minions was the build I would always recommend to new players. Now I'll have to tell them to play Seismic instead. This shit isn't going to diversify the meta, it's going to calcify it instead.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just don't get why they couldn't just put the +2 minion level on the Tree instead of simply deleting it. That way you could have actually enabled more minion builds that don't rely on the Necromancer Ascendancy. They did it with Ghost Dance and Wicked Ward.

Minions was the build I would always recommend to new players. Now I'll have to tell them to play Seismic instead. This shit isn't going to diversify the meta, it's going to calcify it instead.

Will anyone even go Necromancer for minion builds anymore? Seems like Guardian is looking like it might become the new defacto minion ascendancy.

Seems so weird that an ascendancy called Necromancer may end up the worst ascendancy for doing minion builds.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I just don't get why they couldn't just put the +2 minion level on the Tree instead of simply deleting it.
Don't worry. You'll still be able to get +2 all minion gems on i84 helmets. For you I actually mean it too, I don't think someone who plays the game as much as you will have a hard time acquiring a helmet like that.

It's a massive nerf for casuals/ssf/league start though.
Will anyone even go Necromancer for minion builds anymore?
It is a good question. That node was by far the best one in the ascendency, and the replacement seems laughably bad in most cases (I guess maybe some weirdo chaos conversion spectres will be happy about it?). I don't think Guardian is necessarily obviously better though. The 2 crusade passives are better than anything the necro has got, but the rest of it doesn't do much for minions. It's possible the backlash will just push everyone away from necro, but it seems to me guardian/necro is fairly on par now, with the real choice coming down to what secondary mechanics and such you want to use.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will anyone even go Necromancer for minion builds anymore?
It is a good question. That node was by far the best one in the ascendency, and the replacement seems laughably bad in most cases (I guess maybe some weirdo chaos conversion spectres will be happy about it?). I don't think Guardian is necessarily obviously better though. The 2 crusade passives are better than anything the necro has got, but the rest of it doesn't do much for minions. It's possible the backlash will just push everyone away from necro, but it seems to me guardian/necro is fairly on par now, with the real choice coming down to what secondary mechanics and such you want to use.

I think the thing that swings it for Guardian is they get a lot more other bonuses on top of the minion stuff. Big survivability and defensive boosts without a significant loss of damage compared to a necro build.

I honestly don't know what GGG is thinking removing 2 gem levels and replacing it with unholy might of all things.

It might at least be a fair trade if it was Unholy Might + a bunch of passive minion bonuses.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I think the thing that swings it for Guardian is they get a lot more other bonuses on top of the minion stuff. Big survivability and defensive boosts without a significant loss of damage compared to a necro build.
Necros get bone barrier, 10% reduced damage taken if there's a nearby corpse. This seems comparable with what guardian gets to me?

unholy might
Yeah, this one is just weird. It does nothing for minions that aren't physical damage based, and even then, it's going to be a hard sell running unholy might for 30% chaos conv, when you probably want to go brutality if you are scaling phys. And the passive tree already has 25% chance for minions to gain unholy might on kill which is going to be close to 100% uptime while clearing for a lot of builds.

Maybe if it was unholy might + minions gain 100% increased unholy might effect or something.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Seems so weird that an ascendancy called Necromancer may end up the worst ascendancy for doing minion builds.
I know, right? It's that Ascendancy's signature build and they are gutting it. Makes no fucking sense.

Guardian will probably be more popular just due to the fact that Holy Relic is buffed into the stratosphere. Honestly, numerical buffs like that one look so inelegant. Makes me think the Balance Team isn't considering their choices carefully but instead are just throwing darts at a bingo board or some shit.

Don't worry. You'll still be able to get +2 all minion gems on i84 helmets. For you I actually mean it too, I don't think someone who plays the game as much as you will have a hard time acquiring a helmet like that.
That helmet is still -3 total levels on whatever was in there. The total power possible is reduced for everybody, not just Necro.

Besides, the entire point of being a minion cuck at league start is that you get the power early, without having to worry about gear. Now it's just like every other build.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There is nothing in the patch notes about making the gameplay less cancer.
One day PoE 2 will come and it will also disappoint.

Last league was already unfun and made me quit early. I even stopped my standard run as they added Archnemesis bullshit even to standard. Goodbye game killed by retards.

Last edited:

Reever

Scholar
Patron
The necro nerfs are big, however, it is an ascendancy that has survived a lot of nerfs and every time it still rose as one of the most played archetypes. So I think it's better not to overreact too much to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom