Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is there even such a thing as crafting "leveling gear"?
Not on softcore unless you use weapon to do damage.
It is good to save alts until you can roll high tier suffixes (get good bases).

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think PoE2 jumping into the future and allowing for new lore releated to the Ezomytes who so far have been pretty uninvolved in most of what happened during PoE1 will allow them to start with a somewhat blank slate and explore some of the other factions/races that we haven't seen a lot of. PoE1, for the most part, is just Vaal/Eternal Empire/Oriath shenanigans, with PoE2 we are probably gonna see a lot more Maraketh/Ezomyr storytelling and I've always liked those two cultures much more than the Empire/Oriath.

Perkel

Arcane
Had some more experience with the market. Holy shit, low level characters really have no business consuming currency. I blew like 5 chaos on a new axe only to later find a much better one for like 2c.

Is there even such a thing as crafting "leveling gear"? Every time I bought something the powerspike was YUGE and I think 2c was the most I ever spent.

Tip: Never buy gear unless you are really reallyreally want to play some build. Use market only to sell excess stuff to play with crafting yourself. If you will start to buy stuff everything you will do will turn to shit because you will be always to buy for few chaos better gear or stuff than you find ever by yourself.

fuck the lore buff melee

Not possible to do that. They would have to first radically change those things:

- rework elemental damage to work like physical damage, because it is elemental damage that shreds through all defenses, not physical.
- reduce amount of monsters at all times to half of what is today and buff their hp. Because that gives superiority of AOE damage of single or small AOE which is what melee is.
- nerf into oblivion AOE damage as never should AOE damage deal more damage from afar without risk than someone close up in melee risking stuff.

abija

Prophet
- rework elemental damage to work like physical damage, because it is elemental damage that shreds through all defenses, not physical.
- reduce amount of monsters at all times to half of what is today and buff their hp. Because that gives superiority of AOE damage of single or small AOE which is what melee is.
- nerf into oblivion AOE damage as never should AOE damage deal more damage from afar without risk than someone close up in melee risking stuff.

1 and 3 aren't real issues and even if 1 was an issue what you said is a terrible solution.
2 is the root of all evil in PoE. They need to slow the game down, limit the number of monsters, severely limit regen/leech mechanics and so they can get rid of stupid burst as only way to kill characters.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Finally got to maps, did a lvl68 magic map with low mods, created a rather weak metamorph (1/4 flask), and got instakilled by some random ass explosion out of nowhere.

Was on 5.1k life, max res and fortify. Balancing is still fucking ass.

Also, I think that they should put a cap to AS as well, so that your characters can't reach Trillions of DPS, melting every boss away, making GGG think that they should give bosses even more HP and DMG to counter the next builds with even more AS and uber billions of DPS.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also, I think that they should put a cap to AS as well, so that your characters can't reach Trillions of DPS, melting every boss away, making GGG think that they should give bosses even more HP and DMG to counter the next builds with even more AS and uber billions of DPS.
I don't know if capping AS would do it, but yeah, it does seem like GGG are steadily moving the balance towards the expectation that you'll have a complete instant screenmelting build with 10k ES.

I think I've said before, but I think the core issue is the flask system. There is no way for the enemies to inflict damage by attrition, so if you can't get oneshot you can't die. Bosses are a bit more reasonable since they offer limited flask recharge, but ofc most people just have leech for practically infinite sustain anyway.

Perkel

Arcane
Flasks stuff is easy to fix. Just do what POE previously had. No flask recharges for boss hits and 0 minions on bosses to fill up those charges. Previously if you fought boss, flasks were the limit of your kiting even then you could still get away to city to refill them but i always thought it should be removed from game and player should run away from boss batlle or at least when he did that Boss would have again full life.

Instead we have piano stuff which is just retarded.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Finally got to maps, did a lvl68 magic map with low mods, created a rather weak metamorph (1/4 flask), and got instakilled by some random ass explosion out of nowhere.

Was on 5.1k life, max res and fortify. Balancing is still fucking ass.

well enemies can't kill you when alive so they decided what if they can kill you when dead?? :philosoraptor:

Perkel

Arcane
No shit, i was fighting 2 days ago with metaporph that was locked in standing animation and looked like figurine on table moving around.

abija

Prophet
I think I've said before, but I think the core issue is the flask system. There is no way for the enemies to inflict damage by attrition, so if you can't get oneshot you can't die. Bosses are a bit more reasonable since they offer limited flask recharge, but ofc most people just have leech for practically infinite sustain anyway.
It's all the "regen" systems that need to be looked at. Leech is also super strong and makes you invulnerable unless you go down very fast.

Zeriel

Arcane
I think PoE2 jumping into the future and allowing for new lore releated to the Ezomytes who so far have been pretty uninvolved in most of what happened during PoE1 will allow them to start with a somewhat blank slate and explore some of the other factions/races that we haven't seen a lot of. PoE1, for the most part, is just Vaal/Eternal Empire/Oriath shenanigans, with PoE2 we are probably gonna see a lot more Maraketh/Ezomyr storytelling and I've always liked those two cultures much more than the Empire/Oriath.

Imagine liking desertniggers more than Romans. I am speechless.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
New patch is up.
Autopickup for body parts is on. Wonder if GGG nerf rewards now with it.
Still no map convertion button, guess it will be next year

Absinthe

Arcane
Finally got to maps, did a lvl68 magic map with low mods, created a rather weak metamorph (1/4 flask), and got instakilled by some random ass explosion out of nowhere. Was on 5.1k life, max res and fortify. Balancing is still fucking ass.
And this sums up the reason why melee sucks. Dodging is still your best (and frequently only) defense against getting one-shot. That said you definitely needed more hitpoints, and you generally want resistances above 75%. A simple Loreweave can get you 78% all resists (but it overrides all other sources of modifying maximum resistances, so you can't go higher, but you can also run Exposure maps without any negative effects). Ahn's Heritage unique shield will give you +3% max resists and permanent Onslaught. Saffel's Frame gives +4% max resists but you can't block attacks. A corrupted amulet gives +1% all max resists. There's a passive for another +1% to all max resists and +1% to each elemental max resist separately. Boots, Gloves, Helmet all have a +1% max resist of a specific elements possible as shaper mod. Purity auras can give massive bonuses to specific elemental resists with high level and high aura effect (+4% max resist minimum without doing anything, but can reach over +12% with the right build). Max resists are capped at 90%, btw. Do not underestimate the power of moving from 75% max resists to 80% max resists either, as it means you receive 20% less elemental damage. And going from 80 to 85% means you take 25% less elemental damage compared to what you took at 80%.

Aside from that 5.1k life honestly isn't that much. The Fortify buff helps a lot though. Aside from stacking more life, you can also raise your EHP further by stacking energy shield, using mana with Mind Over Matter, or using Guard skills like Steelskin (which gets much better when you raise its level) or even equipping Magna Eclipsis. Lvl21 Steelskin + Lvl4 empower (+ Increased Duration) in Magna Eclipsis makes for a lvl28 Steelskin which absorbs 4.2k damage for instance, with the Magna Eclipsis absorbing another 1k damage. There are also sources of reduced damage taken, like the crystal skin passive, and flasks that lower damage you take. Magna Eclipsis is pretty cheap by the way, especially if you just buy the base uniques and do the vendor recipe.

GGG does need to get builds under control more so that it becomes possible to present meaningful challenges that require using your head instead of oneshotting three screens, but I think it's a bit of a lost cause now. The meta has settled into a grind-heavy beast and based on how PoE was designed around the D2 repetitive grind endgame it seems like they were deliberately heading for this sort of meta, even if they don't like the particulars of it.

Had some more experience with the market. Holy shit, low level characters really have no business consuming currency. I blew like 5 chaos on a new axe only to later find a much better one for like 2c.

Is there even such a thing as crafting "leveling gear"? Every time I bought something the powerspike was YUGE and I think 2c was the most I ever spent.
Only in SSF. Leveling items are dirt-cheap usually. Otherwise crafting leveling gear mostly consists of doing vendor recipes to get basic boots, weapons, and minion helmets for the most part. Smashing alchs and chaos on low level items is no longer advisable unless they're jewels. Spamming alts on flasks is also popular, especially utility flasks.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
He was talking about Tier 1 maps. Those used to be something people did before Merciless Malacai, and they are way easier than Kitava A10 generally speaking. Most people aren't going to have 5K HP on their first map, getting one shot there is a bit silly. All of the things you are talking about are things people get by playing maps. Trading for the best items in the game before you step into the first map is absurd.

Went with a wonky ass(assin) build. A poison/minion thing with Arakaali's Fang and Cobra Lash. Damage is pretty sweet, but setting up spiders on bosses without adds is a hassle.

As for the league itself, shit feels like Betrayal all over again. Rippy ass mechanics + random FAT packs appearing out of nowhere and all that nonsense. And of course - you can't see shit. At this point I gotta ask, are there some cheats or whatever to reduce the fucking VFX clutter? Also how ya'll feeling at red tiers, because I'm getting bodied at random, while breezing through the rest of the map (RNG defenses are partially at fault here, but still).

d1r

Patron
Finally got to maps, did a lvl68 magic map with low mods, created a rather weak metamorph (1/4 flask), and got instakilled by some random ass explosion out of nowhere. Was on 5.1k life, max res and fortify. Balancing is still fucking ass.
And this sums up the reason why melee sucks. Dodging is still your best (and frequently only) defense against getting one-shot. That said you definitely needed more hitpoints, and you generally want resistances above 75%. A simple Loreweave can get you 78% all resists (but it overrides all other sources of modifying maximum resistances, so you can't go higher, but you can also run Exposure maps without any negative effects). Ahn's Heritage unique shield will give you +3% max resists and permanent Onslaught. Saffel's Frame gives +4% max resists but you can't block attacks. A corrupted amulet gives +1% all max resists. There's a passive for another +1% to all max resists and +1% to each elemental max resist separately. Boots, Gloves, Helmet all have a +1% max resist of a specific elements possible as shaper mod. Purity auras can give massive bonuses to specific elemental resists with high level and high aura effect (+4% max resist minimum without doing anything, but can reach over +12% with the right build). Max resists are capped at 90%, btw. Do not underestimate the power of moving from 75% max resists to 80% max resists either, as it means you receive 25% less elemental damage.

Aside from that 5.1k life honestly isn't that much. The Fortify buff helps a lot though. Aside from stacking more life, you can also raise your EHP further by stacking energy shield, using mana with Mind Over Matter, or using Guard skills like Steelskin (which gets much better when you raise its level) or even equipping Magna Eclipsis. Lvl21 Steelskin + Lvl4 empower (+ Increased Duration) in Magna Eclipsis makes for a lvl28 Steelskin which absorbs 4.2k damage for instance, with the Magna Eclipsis absorbing another 1k damage. There are also sources of reduced damage taken, like the crystal skin passive, and flasks that lower damage you take. Magna Eclipsis is pretty cheap by the way, especially if you just buy the base uniques and do the vendor recipe.

Welll, there was a reason why I was only doing lvl 68 maps so far. All the map bosses up to this point were weak as shit compared to this low lvl metamorph.

My build was build around 6 endurance charges, fortify, and a -10% phys red from my chaos golem. I couldn't get frozen, shocked, or immolated either because of my golems. I also had a 800HP regen, which would have ended up close to 1k if I had gotten my gear together resulting me in nearly 7k HP. It really feels like that nothing really matters in this game but pure luck and a very heavy offensive (which ironically seems to be the best defensive stat in the game).

Then again, I probably would have survived the encounter if I had traded more, but I just can't be arsed to do it in this game. It's pure cancer for the most time.

Absinthe

Arcane
So you're playing as Elementalist Witch, Diablo1_reborn? Anyway you definitely needed more life. What's your build? Do you have a PoB link for us to look at?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...stash tabs are on sale right now. Because I bought mine 2 days ago, lel.

Whatever, I'm in act 8 with 2 premium tabs and a currency tab. Recommendation on stash improvements are welcome!

d1r

Patron
So you're playing as Elementalist Witch, Diablo1_reborn? Anyway you definitely needed more life. What's your build? Do you have a PoB link for us to look at?

https://pob.party/share/tosiwoonikotus

Is what I am usually playing when I play PoE. I just created it, since I don't have a PoB template for my Ele yet (I was planning to create one as soon as I got to mapping, but I didn't expect to die on day 1).

Absinthe

Arcane

Is what I am usually playing when I play PoE. I just created it, since I don't have a PoB template for my Ele yet (I was planning to create one as soon as I got to mapping, but I didn't expect to die on day 1).
That's not full PoB. That's just the passive tree. Can't tell what skills, links, items, jewels, etc. you are using with that. You can also set your profile to public and we can see what you're doing by looking up your username. You seem to be running a dualwield mace elementalist life witch? Still don't know your skills, items, and links though.

d1r

Patron

That's not full PoB. That's just the passive tree. Can't tell what skills, links, items, jewels, etc. you are using with that. You can also set your profile to public and we can see what you're doing by looking up your username. You seem to be running a dualwield mace elementalist life witch? Still don't know your skills, items, and links though.

Will create one this weekend. Stay tuned.

janior

Arcane
Patron
elderslayers - ez
guardian of hydra - ez
guardian of phoniex - DUDE WTF I GOT ONE SHOT 5 TIMES by this dude lol he wasnt even near me
Im thinking to respec into shield maybe some block would save me from dying although my dps would suck without a second weapon
PoB https://pastebin.com/5dr3CM78
any suggestions to improve this build?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom