Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Party and character creation

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Edit: no cypher.

Cipher then. Or Rogue. Their damage multipliers help with beating enemy DR and the extra accuracy helps.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Rogue is the straightforward answer. Paladin has some sort of bleakwalker combo that i can't recall, might've been patched out though.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Fixed the typo :smug:... what about ranger, are they any good?

Rangers are best in melee range, which can be a bit restrictive. Their biggest draw would be "Marked Prey", which "adds 20 damage to every attack". Sounds good for blunderbusses, but it seems to behave very strangely:

So I had the same problem and did some minor testing. Mainly because I wanted to find out which class would be best for a high damage blunderbuss build. The idea was that the 6 hits from the blunderbuss would trigger marked prey 6 times. Right?

Well turns out that the bonus damage seems completely random. I got bonus numbers reaching from 0.1 to 17.5. They also are in no relation to the main attack damage as I had grazes that did 1.2 base damage with an additional 9.0 bonus damage and regular hits with 8.5 damage and 2.1 bonus damage. The skills description also seems rather odd. 20 damage... of what? Does it take DR into acount? Is it raw damage? Does it 100% trigger on hit? It doesnt tell you.

So the only reasonable explanation I could come up with is: Marked Prey adds up to 20 bonus raw damage. This is the only thing that could explain the highly inconsistent non-related bonus damage. But I haven't tested it much further so dont quote me on that,

If you want to go Ranger, you should wait for the patch anyway (lots of pet bugs), which might clear up how Marked Prey works as well.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
what about ranger, are they any good?

Rangers are very good. Everyone goes crazy about rogues (and rightfully so - deathblows are bonkers) but rangers also have rather insane stuff going on. You need to choose your pet carefully, though, most of them are very bad.

Unbeliever

Learned
After I found Pallegina I started to enjoy fighting. Finally have opportunity to use engagement system for my benefit. Eder and Pallegina can block almost everything and Sagani's fox is some kind of third tank with that knock per encounter. With this three, Aloth and Durance finally have space to work with spells and my rogue opportunity to chose his target. Had a plan to kick out Sagani for Grieving Mother, but this work so good that I'm not sure in wisdom of that plan at this moment.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm thinking of trying a tankish Rogue build:
  • heavy armor, shield and hatchet
  • Riposte
  • Adept Evasion
  • Cautious Attack
  • S&S style
  • Superior Deflection
Anyone knows if this would work on higher difficulties or would it suck?

Ninjerk

Arcane
  • Riposte
  • Adept Evasion
  • Cautious Attack
  • S&S style
  • Superior Deflection
Not criticizing the idea, but what is the point?

Athelas

Arcane
The rogue's damage potential will go to waste with all those things weighing down his attack speed and recovery time. Riposte doesn't even trigger every time you dodge (which would actually make it useful), it just has a small chance of triggering.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh. I thought it triggered every time you dodge. And here I thought I actually found a cool build, goddamn it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Apparently only companions who got changes were Sagani (two points from con -> dex) and bug with the Pallegina's defences was fixed, didn't touch GM's ridiculous perception or Durance's resolve.

:balance:

Torrasque01

Augur
How about NPC progression tables like eder getting an extra talent when recruited at level 3?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Damn it so bothers me you can't do damage and have lots of dialogue stats at the same time

How is it in BG you could make a thief or ranger with bow or crossbow, or a mage, priest or druid without high physical stats and be effective, and in PoE you're just stuck with that single dps build
it sucks

You can't even be a good *healer* without cranking up your melee damage. At least if some ability damage would depend on something else than Might, and if some types of weapons would not depend on it, there could have been more builds

Last edited:

Ellef

Deplorable
Probably already posted but Darcozzi Paladins get a fire retaliation like Fire Godlikes. Scion of flame + vulnerable attack darcozzi paladin might be something for my next playthrough, might just be an inferior fire monk though

Ellef

Deplorable
  • Riposte
  • Adept Evasion
  • Cautious Attack
  • S&S style
  • Superior Deflection

It's probably a bit underpowered but that shouldn't change your mind, otherwise we'd all be fullplate wearing chanters summoning 6 drakes or something. There's a bunch of retaliation items that triggers attacks when you're hit, so along riposte, you're covered. Maybe pair the rogue tank with a paladin support for auras and the deflection buff(s) to help out.

Shevek

Arcane
I bet a ranged fighter with a blunderbuss might be good thanks to confident aim and weapon spec. Decent in melee too. Non squishy.

Ellef

Deplorable
I'm taking a look at ranger and it looks decent actually. There's a perma 50% dmg buff when the target is dotted at lvl 3 and the bear is an extra roadblock. Trying to make a POTD party with the classes I missed last playthrough (ranger, barb, pally).

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm playing PotD. Here's my party:

Rogue main. Dual-wielding fast-attack stuff. I initially went for a mix of stealth-guns and the blades, but frankly on PotD you miss a fucking lot and missing with a gun is super costly. It's still alright vs. certain enemies, but certainly not worth investing in. I also fancied going Equilibrium with dual-flintlocks, but alas.

Barbarian hired. Fucking wrecking machine of the Conan Order. I use average-to-fast weapons, dual-wielding. Fuck Intelligence. It's all about Might and Dexterity. He's only getting better as the game progresses. My #1 damage dealer, statistically speaking. Use a really nice 2h-sword for singled-out enemies/bosses.

Aloth. Debuffs, mostly. Damage here and there, but what's the point if you miss?

Durance. Buffs, mostly. Focusing on Accuracy-boosts, since on PotD accuracy is probably more important than anything. Without a lot of boosts you won't be hitting shit. Rarely do anything else. Buffs don't miss, damage and other shit do.

Kana. Dude kinda fucking sucks on his own, but he's a nice wildcard. I either roll him with an Estoc/gun. Mostly a Phantom dispenser at this point.

Eder. Basic tank. Just stands there and gets the shit kicked out of him for a living while everyone else does the fun stuff. His Knockdown rarely lands. He mostly eats a shitload of food and then burns it off in the ensuing battles.

Nothing bothers me much except phantoms/shades which I assume bother everyone. I really do not like fighting those things. They're annoying, unfun, and carry a shitload of RNG compared to how other enemies behave, especially the Shadows/Shades.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Haha, Barbarian with Chanter's fire aura is like playing Diablo 2. Click on enemy group and see them die.

hiver

Thanks! 18 though is a little high, I guess that's the maximum check but how about just more than half of them? Or is there a lot that require that high by the end-game? I was thinking lowering might and/or dex a little on a rogue to get 14 int and per for interaction purposes but if that's not enough for >50% of checks I'd just concentrate on one.
Ive seen check for 16 Resolve in Raedric hold, and most of the other ones are lower, atleast in the first part of the game.

I think i turned off seeing exact numbers later.

Anyway,

My party,

A wizard fighter, spellsword, fighter mage

F6qR6HJ.jpg

nmcIunQ.jpg

- early screenshot,

Aloth, Mother, Durance, Eder, Pellagina. Or my resurrected Rogue Honodan sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shevek

Arcane
Ive seen 17 and 18 resolve checks but items and rest bonus can help. I think I remember one with 19. Not sure.

hiver

Im seeing more for survival, and Intellect a lot lately. Shame for my build there.

Seaking4

Learned
Ive seen 17 and 18 resolve checks but items and rest bonus can help. I think I remember one with 19. Not sure.

A quest in Twin Elms has a 20 resolve/intelligence check. Which is the highest I've seen. I played with unqualified interactions checked off for like 99% of the game so I'm not sure if it goes higher than that though.

If you play with them on it shouldn't be hard to hit most of them with rest bonus + items. For example, there is a cloak of + 3 resolve in [random location].

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to play dwarf with blunderbuss, which class would be best for that?

Edit: no cipher.

My blunderbuss ranger has the highest (or second highest, but it's hard to outdo a nuking wizard) damage in my party and provides a tank on top of hitting harder than my rogue (admittedly my rogue has no weapon comparable to leadspitter). Marked prey + blunderbuss is great. I went with an aumaua for the extra weapon slot but a boreal dwarf would probably work well too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom