Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox announces Sengoku

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

The next in-house Paradox title isn't a sequel, it's <a href="http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2011/2/paradox-interactive-announce-sengoku" target="_blank"><strong>Sengoku</strong></a>.
<blockquote>Paradox Interactive are proud to announce their newest internally developed game, Sengoku, a Grand Strategy title for the PC set in 15th century Feudal Japan. To celebrate the occasion, a teaser trailer has been released!

View the announcement trailer here: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNMkcbDZWE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNMkcbDZWE
</a>
In this deep character driven strategy game, you play as the head of an illustrious Samurai family. The year is 1467 and civil war has broken out. The authority of the Ashikaga Shoguns has collapsed and it is every man for himself in the provinces. Honor and duty vie with survival in the delicate dance of power, conquest and betrayal as you attempt to unite the land of the Rising Sun through a combination of deal-making with foreign powers, sending your powerful samurai armies into battle against your enemies, and unleashing shadowy Ninja clans under the cover of darkness to assassinate your rivals!

FEATURES:
<ul><li>Control a noble family in Feudal Japan</li><li>Rise in influence and power within your clan and go on to claim the ultimate prize</li><li>Conquer and grow while rewarding your most valued retainers in your bid to become Shogun</li><li>Detailed historical map of Japan during the warring states period</li><li>Make deals with external powers, including the Portuguese and the Dutch</li><li>Employ the aid of powerful Ninja clans when your Samurai armies are not enough</li></ul></blockquote>

Cenobyte

Prophet
Oha, I hadn't imagined this to be their next title. But I think it has potential, and Paradox usually delivers, even if it takes a lot of patches and expansions

:thumbsup:

Monocause

Arcane
And it now makes sense why they gimped the Jap content in Divine Wind.

They made excuses on official boards all the time that "implementing all the factions would put a strain on CPUs" or that "there is a limit to the number of events" but I dunno why didn't they just tell that they're making a dedicated game to cover the period and don't want to cannibalise sales. Is that bad PR?

Yeesh

Magister
Gondolin said:
It wouldn't hurt to show a bit of their actual game, instead of just scrolling up and down the map.
If the game is anything like the other Paradox grand strategy titles, there isn't much else to show besides menus and (presumably) giant samurai warriors following arrows from province to province, pausing occasionally to stand next to each other while bars gradually change from green to red.

Higher Game

Arcane
Yeesh said:
If the game is anything like the other Paradox grand strategy titles, there isn't much else to show besides menus and (presumably) giant samurai warriors following arrows from province to province, pausing occasionally to stand next to each other while bars gradually change from green to red.

:lol:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
We will probably meet a perverted foreigner and his pink-haired slave.

Gondolin

Arcane
Yeesh said:
Gondolin said:
It wouldn't hurt to show a bit of their actual game, instead of just scrolling up and down the map.

Menus are fine. I'm playing EUIII and I'd like to see the new system.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
pocahaunted said:
Grand strategy, they say? When it only includes Japan and a token foreign diplomacy menu? Yeah, I'll skip this one.

Someone obviously doesn't know anything about Japanese history.

Damn those American Civil War games! I can only play as the North or the South! Why can't I be the Ottoman Empire?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am so tired of Japan and Japan focused games. Divine Wind was enough already.

But the period is quite interesting and there are not many realistic sengoku games... Perhaps they will deliver.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
curry said:
Basically they're just selling CK2 twice.

And trying to get some free marketing from CA on top of that.

I dunno I love pdox, but this is such an obvious moneygrab....

Blasterhead

Educated
A crusader kings style game in feudal Japan would be great. Stop complaining! Need something to finally compete with Sword of the Samurai.

Then again... 'Employ the aid of powerful ninjas!' is a bit... err...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Meh. I usually like these paradox games, but their combat system really isn't deep enough to support a game with as much fighting as the sengoku era should have.

It could still be cool if they get the historical flavor right, but I'll be on the fence until we know more.

Norfleet

commie said:
Someone obviously doesn't know anything about Japanese history.

Damn those American Civil War games! I can only play as the North or the South! Why can't I be the Ottoman Empire?
This is precisely why this particular place and time is a popular one for making in a game: It's nice, compact, and fairly self-contained. Japan's relatively remote location and isolationism pretty much keeps the entire thing confined to a map from which no one would be leaving. No pesky questions of why there is this sharp edge on the map beyond which you simply cannot march, even though interesting stuff is that way: You are on an island, there is no leaving. You don't get to sail to Korea until you finish.

exe

Augur
Anyone can tell me where they stole got the music from? I heard that one before, but I can't remember where.

curry

Arcane
exe said:
Anyone can tell me where they stole got the music from? I heard that one before, but I can't remember where.

Hearts of Iron 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom