Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

ds

Cipher
Patron
A from scratch engine re-implementation takes longer than a source port? Who would have thought.

None

Scholar
A from scratch engine re-implementation takes longer than a source port? Who would have thought.
Is there even anything missing from OpenMW feature wise? As far as I'm aware they've been spending more and more time on tasks that are outside the scope of reimplementing MW on a 1:1 basis.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Is there even anything missing from OpenMW feature wise? As far as I'm aware they've been spending more and more time on tasks that are outside the scope of reimplementing MW on a 1:1 basis.
I'm not a MW expert but AFAIK there is nothing missing. I didn't find any issues in the base game during my completionist playthrough with OpenMW two years ago.

I was just responding to luj1 commenting that "arx libertatis and stracciatela didnt take 15 years" when those engines started out with a working copy of the source code. At least for Arx Fatalis there also wasn't much of a preexisting modding scene, and in particular no script extenders or other AF-specific injectors so really no competition for becoming the de-facto way to play the game. Really not a comparable situation to OpenMW at all.

JBro

Arbiter
what I want to see is luj1 attacking the daggerfall unity project with same fervour displayed here
He's too stupid to play something like Daggerfall. Dude thinks MGE's hacky bullshit is more impressive than the long term engine replacement of OpenMW.

deuxhero

Arcane
https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/milestones/46#tab-issues
https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/milestones/45#tab-issues
It's mostly inaccuracies to very small details of Morrowind, and regressions keeping the newest release candidate from being formally released.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
what I want to see is luj1 attacking the daggerfall unity project with same fervour displayed here
He's too stupid to play something like Daggerfall. Dude thinks MGE's hacky bullshit is more impressive than the long term engine replacement of OpenMW.

Well that is stupid

Its not about being more impressive. Some dude can recreate Morrowind in Minecraft and call that impressive

Both are impressive. Point is that OpenMW is still an inferior way to play Morrowind

CHEMS

Scholar
Outside scripting shenanigans, OpenMW offers a better experience compared to vanilla

As soon openmw lua scripting gets more advanced, no one will actually need to play vanilla

None

Scholar
Point is that OpenMW is still an inferior way to play Morrowind
Yeah, I don't get how people can expect to have a true Morrowind experience without the authentic random PC crashes.
Can't tell you the last time I crashed with vanilla. I don't know if it is MCP or not, but the game is remarkably stable considering all the crap I throw at it.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, I don't get how people can expect to have a true Morrowind experience without the authentic random PC crashes.
Can't tell you the last time I crashed with vanilla. I don't know if it is MCP or not, but the game is remarkably stable considering all the crap I throw at it.
Lucky you. Last time I played I could not even start Solstheim main quest because of the constant crashes there. Weirdly, on another save it was ok.

CHEMS

Scholar
I've got a lot of mods on my openmw build and i don't remember any crashing

There also the new navmesh disk caching that reduces loading times considerably, a must if you use huge terrain mods like Tamriel Rebuilt and such

OpenMW is definitely the best way to play Morrowind in 2023. It's not missing anything and has a lot of quality of life and stability improvements. But by far the most exciting thing about it is the devs' plan to eventually support other Bethesda games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Fargus

Arcane
To me it's rather useless... or marginally useful to be fair. Openmw would have been a good way to play the game if it supported mwse mods like Ashfall or many combat enhancements and QoL mods. Right now there are only two reasons i see for using openmw: VR mod or buggy multiplayer (last time i played it with a friend one of us got stuck with incurable corprus, amazing experience). And if not for VR mod requiring it i wouldn't have even bothered. So i have two installs: heavily modded one on my laptop and one for vr with openmw on pc.

You need to go out of your way to make the patched Morrowind crash randomly these days. I had no random crashes since like 2008 lmao and i used different versions and mod set ups throughout the years.

ind33d

Educated
Oblivion would probably benefit more from a new engine than Morrowind or Skyrim. Its engine is extremely limited by its poorly optimised distant LOD that rapes your GPU with draw calls, destroying FPS even on well-optimised modded setups. Besides that, too many NPCs with complex AI suffocates its engine and ends up making anything like waiting take forever, passively affectecting FPS, and making the main advantage the game has over other TES games into a nightmare the more you do with it. It is extremely CPU intensive, yet it only uses a single core because even dual cores were brand new when the game came out. It's unfortunate they are testing Skyrim models instead, probably a sign we're more likely to see that trash with a new engine instead when unlike Oblivion it has nothing redeemable about it at all.
yeah trying to launch oblivion with HDR and Bloom on at the same time probably caused Chernobyl

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It has fairly good mod support and it gets better every release

'Fairly good mod support' means like 60-70% of mods and 0% of Lua mods which are some of the best ever made

MCP-MGE gets better every release too, only faster. Because its where most of the Mw community is

Üstad

Arcane
I don't understand these modding technicalities, can anyone explain why lua mods don't work on OpenMW?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom