Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

Ryzer

Arcane
Can they possibly import Oblivion AI or something like Gothic 2's in OpenMW? You know it wasn't that bad in Oblivion, it was just extremely underdeveloped in Oblivion but the idea in itself was good.
That would be dope and that would instantly fix one of the most glaring flaw of Morrowind.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Can they possibly import Oblivion AI or something like Gothic 2's in OpenMW? You know it wasn't that bad in Oblivion, it was just extremely underdeveloped in Oblivion but the idea in itself was good.
That would be dope and that would instantly fix one of the most glaring flaw of Morrowind.

that already exists for morrowind (for non-openmw versions ofc)

None

Scholar
Probably. OpenMW's pathfinding would make doing it much easier than vanilla. If we're talking about it being coded in, then yeah sure it'd be 100% possible, someone just has to bother. On the modding side? I'm not familiar enough with OpenMW Lua to say for sure. It could be done in vanilla with MWSE-Lua but vanilla's pathfinding is so god awful that you'd have to come up with a custom solution or hope the devs implement something for you.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
ai improvements already done for vanilla by a russian modder u bums

thing is none of you follows the scene

everything openmw does has already been done by someone years ago for vanilla (by vanilla i mean mge xe +/- lua)

None

Scholar
ai improvements already done for vanilla by a russian modder u bums

thing is none of you follows the scene

everything openmw does has already been done by someone years ago for vanilla (by vanilla i mean mge xe +/- lua)
Who are you talking about? Axemagister?

OpenMW does have its advantages. Recast pathfinding, no light source restrictions, etc. The only differences I care about are all mostly visual and superfluous but it does things vanilla can not. I still play and mod vanilla and don't see myself ever switching over to OpenMW given its current trajectory, but I wish what I mentioned wasn't OpenMW exclusive.

Last edited:

None

Scholar
His mods are always interesting, but having NPCs throw rocks at the player isn't what most people have in mind in regards to implementing schedules.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Reinstalled OpenMW yesterday and really liked some basic improvements. The ability to specify an alternate data directory, and just unpack mods to that directory and go. That way, I can back up that directory before any sketchy changes, and if it doesn't work, restore.

Also, just reading the documentation on linux installs: the steam install requires Proton to install - GoG requires Wine - is that simply for extracting the files and getting the game in place, or does OpenMW use Wine in the running of OpenMW? I'd test myself but I won't be home until Monday.

I'm assuming I could copy the Morrowind directory to Dropbox, and avoid installing it Unbuntu altogether and just point the config to the sync'd Dropbox directory structure to find Morrowind.esm.

Sibylla

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag!
It just wants the data file esms, get them one way or another.

what I want to see is luj1 attacking the daggerfall unity project with same fervour displayed here

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Probably. OpenMW's pathfinding would make doing it much easier than vanilla. If we're talking about it being coded in, then yeah sure it'd be 100% possible, someone just has to bother.
You just need to "translate" Wrye's mod Morrowind Comes Alive (or something like that), since that mod already has given NPCs schedules (but just teleports them).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
MCA has been outdated for 10+ years

that mod is a mess and nowadays people laugh when someone brings it up

today there are lightweight Lua schedules which are like 1 kb

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
what I want to see is luj1 attacking the daggerfall unity project with same fervour displayed here

I dont play or mod daggerfall

OpenMW is a futile project because for 10+ years they didnt want to cooperate with Hrnchamd (creator of MCP and MGE XE) and the morrowind community, instead they opted for a different pipeline

so now every mod in the world needs to have 2 versions, one for vanilla and one for OpenMW

they are stubborn and idiots imo

of course all the profilic modders are making stuff for vanilla and not OpenMW

OpenMW is constantly lagging behind mge xe/lua because no one in the world is gonna port a gazillion mods to OpenMW

None

Scholar
Probably. OpenMW's pathfinding would make doing it much easier than vanilla. If we're talking about it being coded in, then yeah sure it'd be 100% possible, someone just has to bother.
You just need to "translate" Wrye's mod Morrowind Comes Alive (or something like that), since that mod already has given NPCs schedules (but just teleports them).
And as you point out it doesn't really go the full distance. Neither does any other mod, as they all rely on teleporting or disabling NPCs. Its just smoke and mirrors. It is one thing to disable Fargoth or teleport him into his house, it is another to have him walk there by himself and then leave on his own and go back to wandering or his next task.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And as you point out it doesn't really go the full distance. Neither does any other mod, as they all rely on teleporting or disabling NPCs. Its just smoke and mirrors. It is one thing to disable Fargoth or teleport him into his house, it is another to have him walk there by himself and then leave on his own and go back to wandering or his next task.
Yeah, what I was too lazy to spell out.

Akachi

Educated
Oblivion would probably benefit more from a new engine than Morrowind or Skyrim. Its engine is extremely limited by its poorly optimised distant LOD that rapes your GPU with draw calls, destroying FPS even on well-optimised modded setups. Besides that, too many NPCs with complex AI suffocates its engine and ends up making anything like waiting take forever, passively affectecting FPS, and making the main advantage the game has over other TES games into a nightmare the more you do with it. It is extremely CPU intensive, yet it only uses a single core because even dual cores were brand new when the game came out. It's unfortunate they are testing Skyrim models instead, probably a sign we're more likely to see that trash with a new engine instead when unlike Oblivion it has nothing redeemable about it at all.

OpenMW is a futile project because for 10+ years they didnt want to cooperate with Hrnchamd (creator of MCP and MGE XE) and the morrowind community, instead they opted for a different pipeline

so now every mod in the world needs to have 2 versions, one for vanilla and one for OpenMW

Didn't know this. Amazingly stupid.

Sibylla

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag!
you misunderstand the goal which is having a foss engine to run the game. similar to arx libertatis, ja2-stracc, openttd etc. tim cain boasts how he can recompile arcanum now but cant release it to public. we are happy we can rebuild and play morrowind forever on linux/bsd, even different cpu arches like arm.

they are in no way competing with projects patching and building on the original closed source program. its also why they cant cooperate, not because of typical modder drama. at most some dev can copy features from MCP.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
you misunderstand the goal which is having a foss engine to run the game. similar to arx libertatis, ja2-stracc, openttd etc.

I know what open source means

their goal was to become the main way to play morrowind, but it never even came close

i really dont care if someone wants to use it. i have modded morrowind for a looong time and know more about modding history than anyone here

also arx libertatis and stracciatela didnt take 15 years

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom