Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime On AAA titles and the nature of incline

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
the witcher of all games lol
What do you mean? The witcher is a fucking masterpiece that would be 10/10 if only it had more troll farts and angst.

honestly i didn't like it either, i never played 2 or 3 and i wouldn't of bought 1 at all if i realized it was out of eastern europe, think i got like 2 hours into it and quit, don't even remember why i disliked it

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Witcher is a great game, which pushes industry's standards for good writing. Witcher 3 writing quality + Underrail exploration and systems + AoD approach to storytelling would probably be the final storyfag RPG.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The Witcher 3 is not a fully recognized hardcore top of the line oldschool cRPG.

It's a modern 3rd person hack and slash action game with very very light RPG elements.

It's just as pop-a-mole as Fallout 4, (actually less RPG elements) only worse (lolyes)

Lhynn

Arcane
Absolutely nothing relevant to the discussion at hand.
You are such an underwhelming shitposter mate. Not only do you keep trying to make it personal, showing your bias and lack of an informed opinion, you actually think i or anyone at the dex gives a shit about what you think of me.

It's only absurd depending on the context. When I'm on the dex, I'm judging RPGs, this game does not feel like an RPG, it plays like any action adventure story game, heck, awful Bioware shit felt like more of an RPG than this game. And I didn't base it off of uninformed assumptions, I based it off of the limited amounts of time I could stomach playing W2 and 3, which is admittedly not very long. Those two games, along with farcry, are the only games I've ever stopped so abruptly and early. I only tried the thing because it was so recommended and everyone cited how it wasn't shit like the witcher 2. IT'S THE SAME FUCKING SHIT, I was suddenly expecting amazing voice acting and writing, but no, it's still awkward garbage lines with a weird dumb angst that seems like it wants to be GoT but can't, awful or cheesy VA, and I don't give a shit if the later game has better VA. You spend most of the game listening to your voiced protag faggot talk in his excruciating solid snake impression anyway.
Wouldnt know, didnt like witcher 2 so didnt play it much. I would like some examples of this "awkward garbage lines" that come up all the time according to you. As for spending time listening to the character, yeah sure, its his story you are witnessing, much like michael thorton in AP. Its just how the game presents its story, its not objectively bad, tho it may not be your thing. What matters if it was well done or if it wasnt, and as i said before, the presentation was really impressive in W3.

If the writing is PST level, than the writing isn't what makes PST's story or world great.
Sure it is, PST setting can be plenty retarded, but it was beautifully presented in the game, leaving the worst out and focusing on the interesting parts, tho i cant comment much, i still havent finished the game, the shit combat keeps me from enjoying the game as a game.

Witcher did not engage me, I didn't give a shit about my stupid mary sue character or his fucktoy(s). I actually felt like a complete retard when I played both of those games, like, I could only imagine a pimply faced nerd who uses an anime avatar enjoying and being engaged in the weird shit I was watching, I think the only comparable shame to being caught playing TW would be being caught plaing a weaboo hentai simulator.
Strange that you would bring up something like anime. I used to like anime, there are those i remember fondly even today. but i stopped watching simply because quality material stopped being produced for that medium. But you are implying they are all the same, when anime is merely a medium, plenty of good stories have been told in that medium, plenty of bad ones have been told in it as well, but in that regard it isnt different from books or murican tv shows, etc.
What this tell me is that you are a close minded retard, and that nothing interesting can come from you.

As for you playing those games and being scared of what people may think of you because you did, well, it doesnt sound healthy bro, you are kind of fucked up in the head, and not in the fun way.

(.....)
Probably I had something else to say, but in My opinion, incline never ended, and maybe decline doesn't even exist. We call decline the shortage of good crpgs but this, by definition, is the incline we've been searching For. There is simply no reason to expect a new renaissance, it will never come. Look At big games such as poe and w2, they didn't deliver. And Know what? They were appreciated the most outside the codex. Angry joe (ANGRY JOE) liked poe, he found it delightful. And w2 was according to someone "the fallout 3 we never had". My 2 cents.
hey you OP! someone else gets it. I agree.

Would you agree older games had smaller audiences? This implies the gaming industry has grown. Now, would you also agree because they were smaller they were also more niche, since niche is primarily--maybe not always--determined by the audience size? So if you can agree with both posits then I have another question: Assumings games evolve, and they most likely do, and also assuming there're different kinds of niche, where do you think you fall and what sort of evolution do you expect or want?

For example, I think my niche is small. I like exploration and enjoy playing older-style RPGs. I think these're still relevant today, but they require updated (or evolved) systems to stay that way. The question of WHAT gets updated (or evolved) depends on whether the game is produced for my niche or someone else's or for the mainstream. I think some worthhile improvements can be in the area of AI, environment modelling (more convincing), UI, game systems and many others.

I would argue the mainstream is also broken up into different kinds. Using "niche" and "mainstream" is just a means to understand therr'e different audiences and sizes. BUT it's just the beginning of determining what they're.

Figruing out where we belong is important because:
a) We want to find games we'll like to play--this is what genres are specificaly for!
b) It's nice to communicate with others of like-mind on occassion

Also being mainstream is not a reflection on the individual. Everybody is different. It doesn't mean you're lame brained or drooling or insulting things of that nature. And remember no matter how good you're at playing a game or juggling abilities or strategies, IT'S JUST A GAME. Respect others and don't judge them as individuals by the games they play.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
the witcher of all games lol
What do you mean? The witcher is a fucking masterpiece that would be 10/10 if only it had more troll farts and angst.

Edit: (Added Lhynn to my list of weirdos with faggy avatars, silencing this autistic BackNForth before it continues.)
:lol:
tumblr_nwlu5sJV6n1r4o9xho1_500.jpg

And nothing of value was lost.

Cadmus

Arcane
When I started reading this thread I thought I was on shrooms because nothing was making sense. Lhyn and co fixed it soon enough though.
TW3's problem (for some) is that the great RPing isn't governed by stats rather by decisions and previous decisions. OP is an insane person but I also had some shitty first posts so let's give him a chance to win our hearts back!

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
Whatever problems the mainstream has The Witcher is not one of them.
You would have more easy picking with Biowhore or Bethesda-whore then with the Witcher series.
Heck even your kickstarter darlings have more glaring issues.

If all mainstream RPG would be on its level I'm sure even Codexers could find some enjoyment out of them.
Mainstream game will never be your niche, that era has long passed decades ago. You have plenty of indie developers catering to you, even what could be considered "mid-developers".
Can you really say there is nothing about it you can enjoy as its own game rather then through the lens of CRPG?
Do you really want more Slutquesition or Ass Effect or Fallout Not RPG 4? That was the recent "mainstream RPGs" that come out.

I think the OP is rihgt and it bothers you people because you like Witcher 3 and can't see it any other way. Point taken. Most of ATS is just like most of you. I don't know why it's so hard for so many people to not understand the concept the OP is putting forward. It's one we're all familiar with. Or have at least considered at some length.

It's this:
A The larger your audience, the more the game is simplified to a common denominator.
B And the more it's simplified to a common denominator, the less likely it's to please someone who's niche.

SO the lesson? If you're niche, don't look for games selling to a large audiecne. You'll save yourself from the pain. However, also keep in mind most game companies desire to grow and so they'll always be attempting to simplify their formula to find a common denominator. So with time their game or sequels will be less likely to appeal to you.

Your best bet is to stay away from commercial games. Sucks, I know, but it's safer. There's less incentive for the makers to find a common denominator (for a larger audience). It's there, just not as strong.

I know I"m going ot get a flurry of responses rebuking me and "destroying" myargument but look.... I'm an older guy now and I've been through these arguments a million times. I'm too tired to entertain you all. I'm all argued out.

EDIT: I'll add this. Games which appeal to large audiences aren't dumb or dumbed down. They're different. People only use that term when they're angry and flinging projectiles at the apparent enemy. They'll throw whatever slimiest most toxic substance available. Nevermind what they say. We all do that. We're human. As we age, we learn to control it.

People with very high IQ's and lots of schooling can still desire "dumb" games. Sometimes you'll find it's the retarded psychiatric nutjob wanting to play the "smart" game. Bottom line, judge less and play more.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom