Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Of the Big Three, which is your favorite? (Fallout, PS:T, Arcanum)

Which one is the greatest (listed in chronological order of release)?

• Fallout

• Planescape: Torment

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura

Results are only viewable after voting.

NotSweeper

Educated
1642944409409.jpg
Fallout 1 simply cannot compete, sorry.
I was gonna go into a rage filled retard rant, but since the question is which is favorite instead of which is best, I guess I can't call the people who voted for PS:T retards (they're retards).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, the Arcanum character creation and development is very nice. Magick / Technology interaction / tradeoff too. The "inventions" and robust magical system - though its as unbalanced as it gets.

Sadly there's more to gameplay then character creation. And for example, Arcanum combat is some of the worst I've ever experienced. Perhaps the worst.
Also while the world created is nothing short of impressive and interesting, the game fails to pull me in and become involved in the adventure, care about the characters and so on. Something that PoE is often criticized for - but its much worse in case of Arcanum IMO.

The 2 other games in the ranking don't have such problems.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Disintegrate spell in Arcanum...
I only ever use it against really troublesome enemies like the Fire Elementals.
Magick is seriously OP in Arcanum.
Tech is slightly more balanced, but also has some very powerful tools - Stun, Paralysis, Knock-Out grenades, Elephant Gun, Tesla Gun, Paralyzer, Anaesthisizer.

Cael

Arcane
Tech is slightly more balanced, but also has some very powerful tools - Stun, Paralysis, Knock-Out grenades, Elephant Gun, Tesla Gun, Paralyzer, Anaesthisizer.
Some of the end game stuff like that +stat potion is tech only, aren't they?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You mean the Vivifier?
It's a schematic you find in Vendigroth, along with the two ingredients you need to make one.
You need Elixir of Physical Prowess and "Unknown Chemical Compound" and Therapeutics at 78 and Chemistry at 85.
You can buy manuals from the Tarant University to increase your expertise in those Tech disciplines.

Cael

Arcane
You mean the Vivifier?
It's a schematic you find in Vendigroth, along with the two ingredients you need to make one.
You need Elixir of Physical Prowess and "Unknown Chemical Compound" and Therapeutics at 78 and Chemistry at 85.
You can buy manuals from the Tarant University to increase your expertise in those Tech disciplines.
But the Elixir is a level only schematic, so you need a certain level of Thera to make it in the first place?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You mean the Vivifier?
But the Elixir is a level only schematic, so you need a certain level of Thera to make it in the first place?
No.
You just need to buy Tech manuals from the Tarant university that will increase your Therapeutics.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
...Pyro Axe.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
...Pyro Axe.
Hell yes.

Gibson

Learned
Ps:t just because it's the best setting for me. The other two are better at playing, but to me they have nothing on ps:t when it comes to setting.

Melcar

Arcane
As a game, Fallout. PST takes it for setting and story, but I never cared for the gameplay or reading the walls of text more than once or twice. Arcanum has a really cool concept, but I don't know, I could never finish it.

Snufkin

Augur
Since there is no dedicated topic on Arcanum I will post here.

I finished game with 2222 kills and 60 level. I did every quest in game and cleared all dungeons. :P

jackofshadows

Magister
There's at the very least the "dark" main quest branch. There's also 50 lvl cap so who knows what modded monstrosity have you played. And finally you're saying that as if there's no random encounters and no portal (with finite yet colossal amount of optional xp).

Last edited:

Snufkin

Augur
There's at the very least the "dark" main quest branch. There's also 50 lvl cap so who knows what modded monstrosity have you played. And finally you're saying that as if there's no random encounters and no portal (with finite yet colossal amount of optional xp pool).
I played with UAP installed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom