Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Of the Big Three, which is your favorite? (Fallout, PS:T, Arcanum)

Which one is the greatest (listed in chronological order of release)?

• Fallout

• Planescape: Torment

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout. Because it *wasn't* fantasy shit. I'm so fucking sick of Fantasy settings™ ... (Planescape was ok though...).

Yeah, mostly this. It was a breath of fresh air for that time. Also seeing "Wasteland" in action was shocking news for me.

That is also why I loved FF7 back then too, sure it had fantasy shit in it but it is still in a futuristic city with trains, reactors and such.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What is PS:T doing among those RPGs?

You could substitute it for Disco Slysium, going by that logic.

To answer the question, as someone currently replaying Fallout, I'd say Arcanum is the much more fun game. But it's not a creation of genius, because Fallout was there first.

Arbiter

Scholar
Fallout. Because it *wasn't* fantasy shit. I'm so fucking sick of Fantasy settings™ ... (Planescape was ok though...).

Super mutants = orcs
Ghouls = undead
Brotherhood of steel = order of paladins
Deathclaw = Tarrasque from DnD
Chosen one = standard fantasy trope

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Arcanum wins for me for the character creation screen alone, it's one of the games I start up even if just to spend some time thinking what kind of monstrosity I'm going to emerge next.
True. You know a game is an RPG if the character creation screen inspires you for character concepts just by the options it offers you.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Super mutants = orcs
Ghouls = undead
Orcs = Niggers
Ghouls = Working Class
Brotherhood of Steel = Incels
Deathclaw = Brits
Chosen One = Libtards born in a middle or upper class family

SexExitium

Augur

Super mutants = orcs
Ghouls = undead
kinda glossing over the whole postnuclear retrofuturism thingy there
(also the chosen one is from fallout 2)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Arcanum wins for me for the character creation screen alone, it's one of the games I start up even if just to spend some time thinking what kind of monstrosity I'm going to emerge next.
True. You know a game is an RPG if the character creation screen inspires you for character concepts just by the options it offers you.
Attributes.
Skills.
Maybe some customization of your character's physical appearance thrown in (mostly portraits).
Some "backgrounds" or "histories" that can add advantages and disadvantages to your character (Arcanum and Daggerfall for example).
This is an RPG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What about Arcanum?
A "fantasy setting" undergoing an Industrial Revolution!
Oh yes I liked the Arcanum setting. That was also at least a bit more refreshing for a fantasy setting. But I just still love the original Fallout setting.

Alan

Educated
Out of all three, Fallout's got the money. No contest

Planescape Torment's just a book. Should be compared to other books. I don't think people care about it in the book world

Arcanum is nowhere near as cohesive an adventure as it should be. It's got a bunch of things going for it, but they forgot to give you an actual reason to play the game. It happens all the time because there is simply too much demand

Fallout is a golden hen, really. You only need to follow the Fallout scheme, plus a good villain, in order to produce one of the greatest

Learned
All three are sublime games, but I'll go with Arcanum which is the one closest to my ideal game, and yes, even without UAP.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Fallout is a golden hen, really. You only need to follow the Fallout scheme, plus a good villain, in order to produce one of the greatest
Fallout has some pretty weak quests around the beginning, but given it started as a hobby project, that's easy to explain.

Alan

Educated

Laz Sundays

Educated
Arcanum is nowhere near as cohesive an adventure as it should be. It's got a bunch of things going for it, but they forgot to give you an actual reason to play the game.
???
I don't remember any sense of urgency or purpose to the game
Seriously? You didn't find constant conspiracies, mythbusting and epic speeches/debates to be engaging enough? Jeez, what does it take to tickle you, wow. I remember it as the most epic adventure a game has given me. Couldn't wait to progress quests. In fact, it was so engaging that I forgave everything bad about it, just to see where it goes. The execution was horrid, but the world and quests are one of the best of all time. Rarely any game has made me so immersed in its stories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom