Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

of gender and classes in rpgs

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
In real life certain vocations tend to be almost exclusive to one sex. For some reason its not true for rpgs.

Lets start with women. If you look at what class real women pick in mmo, it will be a healer.
If you grab random healer in random rpg its likely to be a woman.
There are cleric orders for women only, seers that need to be a virgin. There is nothing that would be men exclusive on divine side.

Men however...
Lets start with bard class. Does it make sense to have female bard? Look at movies, real life: have you ever seen a woman grabbing acoustic guitar to the party to pick up men? If they do so its to pick up chicks. Men become bards to get women. Same for lesbians. Hetero woman bard should not exist.
What would make sense is diva class bard but that doesnt fit in current bard archetype... Or some gypsy maybe?

Mage: while it makes sense for woman to look into enchantment school and be like succubi... Why should one become illusionist? This one is interesting because you can look at real world: do you know any successful woman illusionist?

For some reason there are no classes that would lock women out.

Real reason I started this thread was to show that when Lhynn says in box:
he is in fact sharing his homoerotic fantasies.

Someone might have another insight into the topic though

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
aka nerds afraid of the red pill. the fact that i have to play as a "half-orc" instead of an outright nigger to get my +3 STR -27 INT bonus to muh dik shows u how bitchmode video games r.

lets b real tho, the adventuring party that has women in it, is gonna get gobbled up by dragons big time, while the merry band of white supremacists are gonna genocide the earth after raping, enslaving, and setting it on fire first so dont expect the kike faggots in san fran to make rpgs with redpilled real world stats.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Did you just assume PCs gender based on their initial gender choice?

Vorark

Erudite
Didn't Arcanum have different stats if the PC was male or female? Thought it was a nice detail.

Vorark

Erudite
Indeed, I think it was STR that was reduced which makes plenty of sense irl.

Also you managed to quoted me right when I changed the wording :shittydog:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Should penalize strength but give better reaction from men, unless trying to exert authority. Also women should have it easier with black magicks/demon pact type of stuff since they are already evil by nature.

pippin

Didn't Arcanum have different stats if the PC was male or female? Thought it was a nice detail.

Many crpgs used to have this element. However Arcanum had backgrounds which were unique to women. Like being taught at a Beauty School or something like that.
I'm not against differences in gender when it comes to character creation, but what I'd like more is to have gender exclusive items, missions and factions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I know this is a retarded thread, but I thought I'd mention this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comtessa_de_Dia
And she's not the only one, but it's true that female bards are rare.

There have been RPGs which gender lock classes, especially MMOs. BDO has the Valkyrie, which can only be a woman. Warhammer Online had a *lot* of gender locked classes, like the Chosen, the Witch Elf, the Marauder, the Slayer etc. I can't seem to remember any single player RPGs with gender locked classes though. Maybe Inquisitor? Can you be a woman at all? Also, D&D has race locked classes like Dwarven Defender and Arcane Archer.

I think it adds flavor to the setting of a game, which is always good if it makes sense.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
If I remember correctly, Final Fantasy Tactics has a Dancer class and a Bard class which can only be used by females and males respectively.

Lostpleb

Learned
The thing is that games these days tend to be made with an 'all you can eat buffet' mentality. Just as well, it's reasonable to assume that most dude gamers are going to roll dude toons, and idem for the few female RPG players out there. The reasoning being that, unless you're playing a game which is specifically designed around replayability, it would be lame for the player to miss out on some content because of what is essentially a cosmetic choice.

That said, I think that minor gameplay influences are fine -- welcome, even. A bonus to an interaction here, a small class or spell variation there... the Ogre Battle series makes ample use of gender-specific classes.

http://ogrebattle.weebly.com/male-class-guide.html
http://ogrebattle.weebly.com/female-class-guide.html

Also, ain't got nothing against female bards. Give me a thick songstress, a cup of mead, and a slice of grilled mutton chop any day of the week.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
The old Reline Games had some gender specific Classes. Legends of Faerghail had Blacksmiths and Healers. IIRC Blacksmith was allowed for Human and Dwarven Males only, a epic level Blacksmith could use his Hammer to crush Dungeon Walls to Pebbles^^.
Healer was restricted to Females, they were restricted to healing and protection spells, but were the only ones who had access to he most powerful spells in this Categories.

Fate - Gates of Dawn had a lot of female only Classes: Witch, Nymph, Fairy, Banshee and Amazon, IIRC there was no male only Class.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Thats realistic of course. I like it. Morrowind had it too. I think even the first edition of DnD had something like that

But today that would equal misoguny or some other liberal BS

Tick Tock Crocodile

I can't seem to remember any single player RPGs with gender locked classes though.

Elminage Gothic has the Valkyrie, a female-only spear fighter. I would guess that class is in some other dungeon-crawlers too.

I personally believe that AoD did gender differences right.
:troll:

pippin

It's pretty safe to assume everything Elminage did was inspired by Wizardry. People who worked in Elminage games also worked in japanese WIzardry titles.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Yeah, looking it up I see the class is in later Wizardries too. I've only gotten as far as 4.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
I think even the first edition of DnD had something like that

Females had noticable Strength Penalties, made nonhuman female Fighters obsolete - and human female fighters not a sensible choice.
Doesn't matter much if u use proper 3d6 x 6 to get stats. The odds of getting Strength > 16 are p. low.

When we played D&D back in the Days we had generous Character Creation Rules, otherwise you got throwaway-all-the-same characters, and melee guys would suck even more against casters. Might be interesting in a Survival Game or a Game where you got killed every second fight, but we wanted some "semi-heroic" fantasy.

deuxhero

Arcane
Rolling for stats belongs in the ash-heap of RPG history, just like costing more to resurrect non-humans, story events being random, losing your old abilities till you reached a high level in your new class when multiclassing, gargoyles having detachable wings, mutliclass XP penalties, and bear lore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom