Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Odin demands blood! Let's revive the Viking Age in Crusader Kings 2!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
MAGIC DUKES CALIPHS!

Jafar-disney-villains-16284813-700-507.jpg

Man, that DLC can't come out soon enough. Now I know how biodrones must feel all the time!

newcomer

Learned
So pictures are up.
I guess my only salvation is:
1. Don't update, OR
2. Convert to orthodoxy before update, usurp the byzantine title (or eliminate HRE & re-create title), and surrender caliphate to a single count

But there are problems with (2) :

ck2_11.jpg

:mhd:

newcomer

Learned
by the way, Mongols show up around 1260 right? i got some 20 years before they show up then..

1260? Did none of them come before 1224? If so I doubt you will see mongols other than Timurids...
One more thing, do you play mutant version & if yes, have you fixed the mongol event, and what version is your CK2? If you played mutant & haven't fixed mongol they won't come

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
ja9nb.jpg
Much better. All I had to do was give away most of my duchies (to bishops, which was probably a mistake in hindsight, but it seemed like such a good idea at the time). Now to stomp that Galich(which will take a while.... :() and then maybe claim some revenge on Poland.

newcomer

Learned
Much better. All I had to do was give away most of my duchies (to bishops, which was probably a mistake in hindsight, but it seemed like such a good idea at the time). Now to stomp that Galich(which will take a while.... :() and then maybe claim some revenge on Poland.

Btw Jaedar, what's the name of your province on the eastern border of the map? Is it "SURGUT" ?

If yes I guarantee you that you'll be having a very valuable experience :smug:
Look forward for it :D

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, giving duchies to Bishops is a bad idea in the long run, since Archbishops have a relation penalty all of their own towards non-clergy lieges. Same thing with Mayors, Doges also get penalty against feudal lieges. (actually it's a county-level penalty, but Ducal title makes them always count for that, the only way not to have relation penalties with them is keeping them Baron level in the scheme of things).

inb4 Jaedar is raped in very horrifying fashion by gorramn Mongorians.

Luzur

Good Sir
by the way, Mongols show up around 1260 right? i got some 20 years before they show up then..

1260? Did none of them come before 1224? If so I doubt you will see mongols other than Timurids...
One more thing, do you play mutant version & if yes, have you fixed the mongol event, and what version is your CK2? If you played mutant & haven't fixed mongol they won't come

the first unupdated version, straight out of the store.

im gonna play this session to the end, then get all updates i can find, including Vaarna's mod.

its 1235 in my game, and only ive only seen....someone who got roflstomped right away by Persia arrive, cant even remember who they where.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Mongolians can't stand against the concentrated firepower of a fully operational Russian Empire!

If only that fucker would stop betraying our betrothal so my heir can get the super stats needed to destroy all opposition.

mondblut

Arcane
Well, being a tyrant king ain't that useful anyway, since you can't really hold more stuff than your demesne allows, unless you want thieves guilds and other stuff popping up everywhere.

Actually, I am pondering over trying a game of Having No Vassals Whatsoever. Revoke all titles and screw the out of bounds demesne penalty, there are no vassals to offend.

Dunno if it ever happened to you, but the golden horde just got roflstomped by the Ilkhanate in my game, meaning their first invasion is stuck at -68% and they don't own a single county anywhere. Thought that was nigh impossible with their doomstacks but apparently they were able to hold it off.

Ilkhanate has doomstacks of the same caliber initially. This happened in my game too, twice. I had both khans murdered to make them restart, and Ilkhanate won again... despite having a war with ERE on the other side. ERE got fucked, too.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, being a tyrant king ain't that useful anyway, since you can't really hold more stuff than your demesne allows, unless you want thieves guilds and other stuff popping up everywhere.

Actually, I am pondering over trying a game of Having No Vassals Whatsoever. Revoke all titles and screw the out of bounds demesne penalty, there are no vassals to offend.

Going over your limit also gives you a penalty to income from every province due to poor taxation. If you go far over the limit you're going to be sitting on an income very close to 0.

newcomer

Learned
If only that fucker would stop betraying our betrothal so my heir can get the super stats needed to destroy all opposition.

One of the nice things you can get by having a gigantic empire is that you can handpick your potential wifes (and husbands too) since they are small & educate them personally, because most likely those genius children are born in your realm. For HQ husbands, you can try to invite the parents of a < 6 years old genius boy to your court, causing them to bring their child with them. Try using the people finder & see whether anyone in your realm suit your ambition, you'll have a much easier time arranging bethroral

Norfleet

Going over your limit also gives you a penalty to income from every province due to poor taxation. If you go far over the limit you're going to be sitting on an income very close to 0.
Yes, the question becomes whether it is still possible to generate income through alternative chicanery and manipulation while at 0% demesne efficiency. Because if you can still function at 0%, then the sky's the limit from there.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Problem is that you'll see revolts coming up from basically everywhere, and without vassals you gotta take care of them yourself which limits the amount of troops you have for invasions, not to mention that you constantly have to get some levies up and running. You also shouldn't forget that after about 100 or 200 years, most of the levi-count comes from upgraded baronies and cities, which you can't do without any income. Only proper resources might be captured prisoners, making people attack you constantly so you can get the reparations and pimping out your children.

mondblut

Arcane
Hm, how about "having no castle vassals whatsoever"? City (and temple?) baronies do not revolt. Add in an antipope so that the bishops will pay you no matter how much they hate you.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The main problem with going over the demesne limits is not actually the penalties, but the event spam. I once tried to rule England all by my self, but I gave up when I'd get several events per game week about shit going wrong due to me not being able to properly govern everything. This made the game completely unplayable.

newcomer

Learned
Some income-generating revenue at 0% tax rate:

- Collect tax tithe (not sure)
- Spymaster spy network (is it even... possible with no vassal to spy on?)
- Marriage (Maximize potential by going elective & use plots to eliminate spouse)
- Ransom prisoner (I think you'll lose in overall because of army upkeep)
- Siege rush (IMO one of the more reliable source)
- Go bankrupt & take loan (Once a year, ofc you have to refuse to repay the money :smug: )

The main problem with going over the demesne limits is not actually the penalties, but the event spam. I once tried to rule England all by my self, but I gave up when I'd get several events per game week about shit going wrong due to me not being able to properly govern everything. This made the game completely unplayable.

Several events per game week, eh...
With my almost 2k demense realm, every few game weeks I got several events about... random disease outbreak & rebellion, sometimes conversion also... I guess your events are more forgiving...

Kayerts

Arcane
- Collect tax tithe (not sure)
- Marriage (Maximize potential by going elective & use plots to eliminate spouse)

I think the tithe is based on monthly income, although I'm not sure whether the it uses base income or calculates in demesne penalties.

- Spymaster spy network (is it even... possible with no vassal to spy on?)

You can actually get blackmail opportunities anywhere there's a gay noble, as far as I can tell, even in foreign lands.

- Ransom prisoner (I think you'll lose in overall because of army upkeep)

It really depends on the war you're fighting, but sure.

I'm theorycrafting here, but it seems like the best 0% income strategy with a large realm is to keep banishing your wealthy mayors and bishops, thereby confiscating their fortunes. The 0% efficiency is applied only to your taxation as their liege, right? I.e., they're still getting income; they're just not passing it on.

newcomer

Learned
I'm theorycrafting here, but it seems like the best 0% income strategy with a large realm is to keep banishing your wealthy mayors and bishops, thereby confiscating their fortunes. The 0% efficiency is applied only to your taxation as their liege, right? I.e., they're still getting income; they're just not passing it on.

Yeah, but the problem is the posts before this were talking about no-vassal country, so by that definition mayor and bishops are no-go...
For spymaster event... the blackmail gay noble is bugged right? I never get any blackmail money from that, only from corruption

Norfleet

Well, not quite. The core reason for the "no vassal" approach is so you can do whatever the hell you want...but if mayors and bishops don't interfere with this, then could potentially make use of this. Obviously, not suitable for a completely pure zero-vassal-for-the-sake-of-zero-vassals game, but still a route to explore for the 0% demesne approach. Obviously, the SPAM can become rather obnoxious: I remember this from CK1 when doing the Mongol Culture Exploit.

It may also be rather slow to convert provinces to your religion, given that you have only a single chaplain and no vassal chaplains to help you out here, unless church vassals also do this job.

newcomer

Learned
IMO if you allow mayors & bishops, I guess a zero vassal country can be more powerful than the proper country with strategic vassal management; these mayors & bishops are simply too rich...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom