Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, X-Files episodes when Mulder had real evidence (or was able to obtain it) always ended the same way. They threatened Scully and he backed off.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The lab wouldn't be there anymore by the time you go back to it. The documents would be exposed as forgeries. The skulls would go missing or you'd wake up in a ditch. Bates would mysteriously have no time for you anymore and law enforcement would probably want you on murder charges and so on.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire island had sunk by the time you try to get there. It's just that kind of thing. You know? It's a "mood" they were aiming for. The player is supposed to feel annoyed and powerless. He's supposed to try to go from NPC to NPC, trying to somehow finish this, clear this up. And then he's supposed to be disappointed. They attained their goal with flying colors.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The lab wouldn't be there anymore by the time you go back to it. The documents would be exposed as forgeries. The skulls would go missing or you'd wake up in a ditch. Bates would mysteriously have no time for you anymore and law enforcement would probably want you on murder charges and so on.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire island had sunk by the time you try to get there. It's just that kind of thing. You know? It's a "mood" they were aiming for. The player is supposed to feel annoyed and powerless. He's supposed to try to go from NPC to NPC, trying to somehow finish this, clear this up. And then he's supposed to be disappointed. They attained their goal with flying colors.

Arcanum apologists gonna apologize...

Oh and in typical Arcanum fashion, you really can't even try doing anything. Can't raise ruckus, can't take allies with you to the Island, no nothing. You can always just massacre the gnome - but if I recall correctly, the gnomes all have good alignment so you take alignment hits for it. The only reason you can't do anything with it is because the game said so and because it wasn't actually finished on release, so they accidentally a quest resolution.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, that quest felt extremely frustrated, which I guess was the point.

I wish Tim Cain had addressed the quest during that chat or was asked when we interviewed him :(

Now we will never know the tru7h nor will we know why MCA attacked Elzair at DragonCon

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's this asking for resolutions and closure that can really ruin what was otherwise a nice effect. Some questions are just meant to remain open. It's a story-telling tool that has been used since times immemorial.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

oh sorry, i thought we were playing the game as it was, not larping. My bad, i hadn't realize there were so many bethesda faggots on these forums.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
How do I anti-brofist?

Edit:

If you can't realize that "mood" is a huge part of what makes a good game great you're really missing out.

Edit 2:

:x

I'm getting trolled.

In order for a question to remain open, it has to be a question that has to remain open. You have to justify that somehow. Making the game ignore all your attempts at doing so isn't a good story device, it's just lazy. It's like writing "you're mystified" and leave it at that.

grotsnik

Arcane
Well, idonthavetimeforthiscrap is right, in that as far as I can remember, you can ignore the fake reporter and head straight to the main office of the Tarantian Telegraph (whose editor has already got a very profitable story out of you and should therefore be reasonable) and no dialogue option will appear - there's a legitimate complaint in that the devs haven't thought to make the conspiracy far-reaching enough to stymie you at every turn; aside from that one option with the fake reporter, you're only stymied because nobody's had time to account for your every movement. In other words, the frustration of the Half-Ogre Island quest was a great idea but would have been even better (and more frustrating) if the player had genuinely had a sense of impotence entirely within the gameworld, rather than a sense of impotence because the devs couldn't put a counter-measure in place against more than one permutation of the player's predictable desire to take down the bastards responsible.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Arcanum apologists gonna apologize...

Oh and in typical Arcanum fashion, you really can't even try doing anything. Can't raise ruckus, can't take allies with you to the Island, no nothing. You can always just massacre the gnome - but if I recall correctly, the gnomes all have good alignment so you take alignment hits for it. The only reason you can't do anything with it is because the game said so and because it wasn't actually finished on release, so they accidentally a quest resolution.

:salute:

Herostratus tells it like it is, instead of the other apologetic faggotry going on here, explaining away what was most probably just an oversigt or lack of completion. The most simple explanation is often the correct one.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
If you can get the point across in a few strokes there's no need to make many. The missing NPC and the journalist got the point across.

I can't believe you people sometimes. Arcanum is riddled with bugs and questionable design choices and flaws but this quest isn't of them; believe what you like.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Herostratus tells it like it is, instead of the other apologetic faggotry going on here, explaining away what was most probably just an oversigt or lack of completion. The most simple explanation is often the correct one.
What, the simplest explanation is that they forgot to finish a quest and it randomly made sense unfinished?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

What, the simplest explanation is that they forgot to finish a quest and it randomly made sense unfinished?

Forgot? Yeah, the fact that the game was an unfinished mess of aspiring to greatness was surely a factor of them "forgetting" to finish the quest and implement the mechanics properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom