Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

MCA
They seem to be gunning for 10 levels.
The slave collar guy is probably holding something in his hands originally. Yeah. It could be a bust. I wonder of who. The masters would not make statues of the slaves, only the slaves would after they were freed.

Keen observation but there could be other explanations. A gargantuan statue of a slave as a piece of propaganda to nail it into everyone's head that the fate of slaves is etched in stone, and displayed as an ever unchanging fact, and anyone could end up being enslaved under the right wrong conditions. Imagine a slave fed up and at his limits, thinking about rebellion or running away and then he looks up and sees the statue. "We went to all the trouble of building this huge thing out of stone and putting it here. Just imagine what further lengths we will go to, to put you in your place should you start being disobedient.".

Then again, it's buried under shit that's ages old and forgotten itself.

But my first thought was that it was some sort of giant or titan captured and literally turned to stone but then again, the iron on his neck would need not be also stone.

At any rate, it's just something that looks cool. I doubt they are giving it as much thought.

MCA
NEW INFO:

Josh Sawyer said:
the other race we haven't talked about yet are called the aumaua. they are larger than humans and are found in a lot of coastal and island areas. like orlans, they look somewhat... different, but they are still a bipedal race. we're still working on their concepts (as we are with orlans), but we will show them when we feel they're in a good place.

ZhWUC.jpg

MCA
Also, "aumaua"; LOL. Might as well have a race named HUEHUEHUE and conquer the hearts of BROzilians. If the entire nation strived towards it, they just might secure one of the high tiers.

MCA
Josh Sawyer said:
we don't really think about things in terms of good or evil choices, but in terms of choices that a relatively sane/rational person would make with an understandable motive. sometimes it makes sense to allow players to be cruel, but it has to work in the context of what's going on. the game and its story aren't about being good or evil but deciding what values (and people, and groups) are most important to you -- and what you're willing to sacrifice to defend them.

Josh Sawyer said:
we haven't decided on the number of subraces per race, and cultures are separate from races/subraces, so that's even more up in the air. if we do have more subraces for certain races than other, it will not be by a large margin. we want to make the field of choices relatively even.

Maybe they should just let you choose any number of races up to a limit, with special conditions where applicable. Eg:

[ ] Race #1 - [ ] Race #2 - [ ] Race #3 - [ ] Race #4 - [ ] Race #5 - [ ] Race #6 - [ ] Race #7

And you can either pick just one and play a pure bred member of that race with maximum racial bonuses and whatever:

[ ] Race #1 - [ ] Race #2 - [X] Race #3 - [ ] Race #4 - [ ] Race #5 - [ ] Race #6 - [ ] Race #7

Or choose a number of them and play a mixed race with racial modifiers handled accordingly, which might disable some of the races for mixing:

[X] Race #1 - [ ] Race #2 - [X] Race #3 - [X] Race #4 - [ ] Race #5 - [ ] Race #6 - [ ] Race #7

And maybe choose your races in order of priority to determine the degree of your racial backgrounds:

[2] Race #1 - [ ] Race #2 - [1] Race #3 - [3] Race #4 - [ ] Race #5 - [ ] Race #6 - [ ] Race #7

MCA
Josh Sawyer said:
since tactical combat is one of the core features from IE that we're trying to emulate, we're not specifically designing the game for a pacifist run. that said, we do want to give the player many options to avoid combat, either through stealth, conversation, or the use of other skills. tim and i both want to make sure that players have a lot of options to use non-combat skills across the game. we think it adds a lot to the game.

NO RAT DIPLOMACY

So it will be impossible to totally avoid combat in PE. How shocking, considering how you also couldn't totally avoid combat in any Obsidian game whatsoever. It's a shame that Tim Cain, oh one of the masterminds behind Fallout, is even involved with PE.

Not that I care, though. As long as it's a good game, I'll pick it up during a GOG/Steam discount.

Captain Shrek

They seem to be gunning for 10 levels.
The slave collar guy is probably holding something in his hands originally. Yeah. It could be a bust. I wonder of who. The masters would not make statues of the slaves, only the slaves would after they were freed.

Keen observation but there could be other explanations. A gargantuan statue of a slave as a piece of propaganda to nail it into everyone's head that the fate of slaves is etched in stone, and displayed as an ever unchanging fact, and anyone could end up being enslaved under the right wrong conditions. Imagine a slave fed up and at his limits, thinking about rebellion or running away and then he looks up and sees the statue. "We went to all the trouble of building this huge thing out of stone and putting it here. Just imagine what further lengths we will go to, to put you in your place should you start being disobedient.".

Then again, it's buried under shit that's ages old and forgotten itself.

But my first thought was that it was some sort of giant or titan captured and literally turned to stone but then again, the iron on his neck would need not be also stone.

At any rate, it's just something that looks cool. I doubt they are giving it as much thought.

This is good stuff!

:bro:

EDIT:

It has a double vibe from Ozymandeus.

1) Look on the stone ye slave and despair
2) It is now buried and forgotten

MCA
HE SAID HE READS RPG CODEX EVERY DAY
Hh. Adam, did you write http://twitter.com/#!/adam_brennecke/status/98213614271475712 because of the Codex? How does it feel to be wrong? How does it feel to have your wrongness immortalized unless you delete that tweet?

Needs to be immortalised, just in case:

vqku1.png

Adam Brennecke said:
love the babies crying about D3 online only. seriously, don't buy it if you don't like it and invest in a pacifier instead

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer said:
We will have very little level scaling and almost entirely in critical path areas since there's a lot of variability in when players approach them. Especially when it comes to optional content and general exploration, there will be no level-scaling. In this regard, Fallout: New Vegas might be a fair comparison.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I've known it all along and tried to reason it into your numb skulls but it was way too fucking thick to get it through. And while at it, let's remember how cocksucking apologists tried -AND FAILED- to respond when I said that there would be level scaling:

apologist cocksucker in denial said:
b-b-but Sawyer sad such and such!:
J E Sawyer said:
I don't know where this topic came from, but I don't expect to use level scaling much, if at all, in PE.

Oh but what is that? Random shit comments that the devs make elsewhere that isn't officially affiliated or endorsed aren't binding for PE? Why, UTTERLY SHOCKED!

SUCK IT DOWN!

Enjoy your Real Crap with Prose and KOOL-AIDS and Level-Scaling in Titty Angles with FR-derivative crap and Fuck knows what else. But keep the dough rolling in; it will be majestic when ultimately, all of you will be disappointed with how next-gen popamole low budget-indie-DAO this game will turn out.

Those two posts don't contradict each other you stupid bastard

Captain Shrek

Those two posts don't contradict each other you stupid bastard

Well. There is Level scaling in the main story. It is not there in the optional content. Earlier he indicated that there would be almost none or none whatsoever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well. There is Level scaling in the main story. It is not there in the optional content. Earlier he indicated that there would be almost none or none whatsoever.

Wrong. He said there would be very little level scaling, and that little amount would only be in the main quest. Not that the entire main quest would be level scaled.

Captain Shrek

Wrong. He said there would be very little level scaling, and that likelywhich would only be in the main quest. Not that the entire main quest would be level scaled.
That remains to be seen.

Level-scaling is not evil incarnate lads. Unless they do it wrong (Bethesda way). We need another round of Q&A.

This point is getting old. Level scaling is TEH BAD. What is good is encounter scaling.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Wrong. He said there would be very little level scaling, and that likelywhich would only be in the main quest. Not that the entire main quest would be level scaled.
That remains to be seen.

Level-scaling is not evil incarnate lads. Unless they do it wrong (Bethesda way). We need another round of Q&A.

This point is getting old. Level scaling is TEH BAD. What is good is encounter scaling.

Semantics. :roll:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I've known it all along and tried to reason it into your numb skulls but it was way too fucking thick to get it through. And while at it, let's remember how cocksucking apologists tried -AND FAILED- to respond when I said that there would be level scaling.

the more you post in this thread, the more your brain shatters. right now you're at the full tard level, not noticing that sawyer's post in the past never implied that there won't be level scaling. he even repeated the exact same shit in the live chat yesterday... could it be that you're THIS guy?!

MCA
I've known it all along and tried to reason it into your numb skulls but it was way too fucking thick to get it through. And while at it, let's remember how cocksucking apologists tried -AND FAILED- to respond when I said that there would be level scaling.

the more you post in this thread, the more your brain shatters. right now you're at the full tard level, not noticing that sawyer's post in the past never implied that there won't be level scaling. he even repeated the exact same shit in the live chat yesterday... could it be that you're THIS guy?!

Except you are missing the point because you are brain dead: Before this last news came, apologist cocksuckers have relied back on Sawyer's Formspring answer as definitive proof that there will be no level-scaling in PE (and let's admit, the heavier implication in Sawyer's Formspring answer is that he would rather not have any of it at all). Now you see, this interpretation is entirely irrelevant to my position, which was "there will be level-scaling in PE", which has met with hostility.

Oh but it looks like I was right -once again, contrary to the cocksucker apologists' attacks submerged in self-denial. I lost count of the times I turned out to be right. It's quite tiresome, honestly. I could probably give you all the little details about the game that you will find out only when the game will come out, if only I cared to sit back for a couple of hours and concentrate on it.

You are probably too far gone to comprehend anything I wrote in this post, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom