Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

dukeofwhales

Cipher
J.E. Sawyer said:
according to rose literally no one on the show floor has made it past the beetles in dyrford crossing so far #tuningtyme

Apparently there's a lot of people worse than Adam.

If I was thrown into the game at level 5 with a full party and with no knowledge of the systems I would suck too. Not really a fair indicator of how people will do when they start with one level 1 character and get more party members/level up over time while learning the game systems & mechanics.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Probably not a fantastic way to build excitement for new/casual fans if everyone is getting crushed by the beetles. I know, I know, who wants them anyways, but unfortunately Obsidian will need to bring some converts to the fold for this game to be a success. I'm pretty sure it will anyways, but I want this game to do as well as possible.

Weasel
Roguey: Codex Cassandra.

"The Cassandra metaphor is applied by some psychologists to individuals who experience physical and emotional suffering as a result of distressing personal perceptions, and who are disbelieved when they attempt to share the cause of their suffering with others, and they feel like they are being ignored."

What's the matter Roguey, on too many ignore lists?

:martini:

coffeetable

Savant
agreed. without knowing anything about the current difficulty level, it's probably too low and should be raised at least slightly
as long as it isn't like that one island in Icewind Dale, the one with the hasted undead warriors who can reliably hit -10 ac and can wade through high level turning attempts like they aren't there
rope kid said:
mmm ha ha

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
sup guise

been there, done that, played about two hours of this shit on Wednesday (I would write here sooner if I had a fucking internet connection), wanted to play more on Thursday and Friday, but those fucking queues man

what can I say?
- it looks downright gorgeous, I had to change my diapers at least seven times
- character models... aren't that great, but at least they're passable
- the dialogues, with all the attribute testing and [mood stance]s - MAH LORD :bounce:
- I really hope the final icons will be similar to those IWD placeholders
- though those in inventories feel too small, at least on a fullHD screen they're simply miniscule
- combat. right now, it was a complete clusterfuck to control. it might be because I was thrown into an unknown system with 5 leveled characters for whole of two hours with only years of Infinity Engine as experience, but I definitely struggled at times with coordinating, using abilities, avoiding pinning down my ranged attackers and being blocked in melee. I think I was more getting used to it towards the end, though, but there's a lot of polish to be made yet.
- pathfinding is TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. I wasn't able to count the times my melee fighters were stuck one by another when trying to get into melee range; they just tried to run directly towards the enemy but weren't able to move an inch. This shit needs major improvements.
- then again, walking from place A to place B didn't include getting critically stopped by a table, so maybe there's hope yet
- I can't say anything about the hero-eating insects, I went West:troll:
- encountered some pretty funny bugs, like characters permanently stuck doing attack animations, or zoom out function downsizing characters rather than actually zooming out
- UI could get some improvements, for example health bar is not distinct enough
- fuck I want to play the shit out of this gaem

ask me anything

oh, and 'sup
1524910_350847581734733_3633608743553240772_n.jpg

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
An aside:

Remember all the butthurt about the music a few months ago? What's happened with that, huh?

I noticed that the game's battle music is more in the Baldur's Gate/Michael Hoenig tradition than the regular background music. Not a bad compromise, I guess.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The programming team better hope their completely rewritten pathfinding code is up to snuff because I'd hate for them to ruin Josh's brilliant vision.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The programming team better hope their completely rewritten pathfinding code is up to snuff because I'd hate for them to ruin Josh's brilliant vision.
We should say to Josh, he forgot to use the same pathfinding as BG2, because otherwise he wouldn't mimic the old feeling properly.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think that one of the more "technical" reasons why D:OS was so enjoyable to many reviewers, was the really well-done pathfinding. So I really hope Obsidian fix this issue, or else the game's review scores are bound to suffer, especially given the well-established "Bugsidian" reputation, and that would be a shame.

Frusciante

Cipher
An aside:

Remember all the butthurt about the music a few months ago? What's happened with that, huh?

I noticed that the game's battle music is more in the Baldur's Gate/Michael Hoenig tradition than the regular background music. Not a bad compromise, I guess.

Honestly hearing the music ingame now I think it sounds great. Very fitting and very nice.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

We are all audiophiles that would not criticize music from a video clip with substandard audio quality (a.k.a. piece of shit sound)

Frusciante

Cipher
sup guise

been there, done that, played about two hours of this shit on Wednesday (I would write here sooner if I had a fucking internet connection), wanted to play more on Thursday and Friday, but those fucking queues man

Thanks for your impressions. Kind of surprised that there are not more impressions on the internet. Cant find anything on gaming sites etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
sup guise

Thanks for your impressions. Kind of surprised that there are not more impressions on the internet. Cant find anything on gaming sites etc.

Gamescom isn't over yet. These sites have a lot of things to cover besides Pillars.

Besides, the game has already had not one but two large publicity blitzes not so long ago, so nobody's that eager to post about it again. And the beta is going to go public in a few days anyway...

Hormalakh

Magister
Probably not a fantastic way to build excitement for new/casual fans if everyone is getting crushed by the beetles. I know, I know, who wants them anyways, but unfortunately Obsidian will need to bring some converts to the fold for this game to be a success. I'm pretty sure it will anyways, but I want this game to do as well as possible.

Dark souls is also a hard game: people still love that game. The difficulty of the game isn't inherently what makes it fun, or not fun. There are many more aspects that matter.

Hormalakh

Magister
After watching the streams I have the feeling that constant microing all party in every encounter could be a huge pain in the ass.

I do not mean auto-attack not working, but having to use class abilities of ALL party members all the time (some of them through drop-down lists no less), even against basic opponents. In IE games fighters were very easy and fast to manage 95% of the time, as you just clicked who they were supposed to attack, here you will have to babysit everyone, just like in Dragon Age: Origins.

Since I enjoy such gameplay, this will only cause me to play slower, because my OCD will force me to go optimally through every fight, but I think this might be a deal-breaker for more casual players like my wife and and my sister, who both loved the first Baldur's Gate and enjoyed the second one (although the added complexity of high-level D&D was almost a deal-breaker for them and I had to help them in some encounters).

In the end, Obsidian might be surprised that this game does not attract the same crowd as BG did, although there are many more gamers out there right now, so the sales numbers might still be good.

I'd rather have less battles and that they cut out the trash mobs.

Jezal_k23

If the quests are anything like New Vegas, the diplomatic options will be a lot 'dumber' than combat, since they often didn't require any particular problem solving or mental activity at all provided you had the right stats. Besides, that would make sense in a game like F:NV or Tides of Numenera where non-combatant characters are a viable player choice, but Josh has said Poe is not like that.
There are no social skills in PoE.
Yes, I know. Science wasn't a social skill in F:NV, but it was the most common stat check in dialogue iirc. No social skills is a good thing, but it doesn't mean the diplomatic victories will be any more challenging. For example, from the Gamescom videos it sounded like you have the choice of fighting the Ogre or simply picking the correct dialogue option.

It has been said before that an option that was enabled to you because of your stats won't necessarily be the correct option to pick, so supposedly you'll have to think about it a little more than "oh, this option is the best because I have enough intelligence to pick it!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom