Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Arkeus

Arcane
The beetles are also numerous random wildlife encounters on the way to something more interesting, so I think the expectation of them not being too challenging is warranted.
The problem is that it's not warranted when you take into account that those are completely new players (E.G, there is always a 'learning the rope' time in a new game) being presented a mid-campaign map with only starting gear. Also, that bug.

We have seen that the Beetles are very doable once someone take his time, the matter is that the people playing it right now haven't had the acclimatizing period to learn to take their time and what situations are dangerous in the game.

Hell, most probably don't even know about 'engagement', let alone the fighter's speciality or that the rogue does much more damage on ailing enemies.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
The beetles are also numerous random wildlife encounters on the way to something more interesting, so I think the expectation of them not being too challenging is warranted.

Random wildlife encounters in BG1 could be pretty deadly (spiders, basilisks, ogre berserker, black talon elites etc.) so I don't see the problem, you shouldn't feel like a tourist while exploring the wilderness, it should feel dangerous.

Not that I don't see the value in having some trash fights as a break from challenging set piece encounters (and in order to make those encounters feel more special) but put too much of them in the game and you get Dragon Age where you sleepwalk/autopilot until you reach the boss.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Random wildlife encounters in BG1 could be pretty deadly (spiders, basilisks, ogre berserker, black talon elites etc.) so I don't see the problem, you shouldn't feel like a tourist while exploring the wilderness, it should feel dangerous.

Not that I don't see the value in having some trash fights as a break from challenging set piece encounters (and in order to make those encounters feel more special) but put too much of them in the game and you get Dragon Age where you sleepwalk/autopilot until you reach the boss.
I'm pretty sure there were no areas with 5 Ogre Beserkers right by each other in BG1.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Goddamn! It seems I will not be able to play Pillars of Eternity because of Putin. War is coming

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm pretty sure there were no areas with 5 Ogre Beserkers right by each other in BG1.

Actually... http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Area_North_of_Gnoll_Stronghold (maybe not 5, though)

Ninjerk

Arcane
Azrael the cat We are living in an age of MOBAs. New players can deal with micro. Probably more than lots of oldschool RPGers can.
I'd wager most MOBAs don't have much micro at all.
Dota2 is the most micro-intensive game next to WC3, SC and SC2. Obviously depends on hero. Meepo, Invoker, and even heroes like Beastmaster and Nature's Prophet - depending on how you play them. Any hero with controlled minions.
LoL probably doesn't have much micro since it's a game made for retarded babies.
That's what I mean, DotA 2's micro doesn't even seem that intense (except in relation to itself e.g. Chen/Beast/Meepo vs. Enigma/NP). I've heard this exact criticism from RTS players.

Arkeus

Arcane
Sawyer in SA said:
There are a few things to note about overall difficulty and difficulty on the show floor. First is that some bugs are obviously making combat more difficult than it should be. Auto-attacking is very helpful. Additionally, the wood beetle's poison has a bug that Tim just found yesterday that could wildly spike its damage. Mostly though, the average Gamescom player is trying to manage 5 level 5 characters with no experience playing them.

In the full game, players would be much more experienced by this point. The party members are also currently under-equipped. They have Fine quality gear, but no rings, cloaks, etc.

The two bugs I described have already been fixed back at Obsidian, so we will see what impact it has on basic difficulty.
More or less what i thought, though i didn't know about the second Bug.

Froglok

Educated

I remember the first time I went through the bandit woods in BG1. I stepped on a web trap and got raped by a single sword spider.

Lhynn

Arcane

I remember the first time I went through the bandit woods in BG1. I stepped on a web trap and got raped by a single sword spider.
Good times.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I looked at these gamecon videos and, actually what I seen was incredible attempt to copy everything from old games, even bad things.

What he was saying was "we analysed old games, we looked at terrain, palette". This behavior would be fine when you are in 2nd year of university when teacher told you to analyse games and come to conclusion about what technology limitation they had, and what proper, and bad things they did.

Obviously, he spend significant effort and money to replicate even bad things. The whole theme from what he said was: "we are not making awesome game, we are making a something like a copy of an old game to satisfy kickstarters." These kick starters would be happy to have a game with decent interface and modern control systems, and gameplay and pace as detailed as old games. Basically a game that would have as enjoyable gameplay as BG2, without necessary using BG2 interface, things that worked bad, and cliches.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Remember when some submorons in this thread claimed Josh was going to make a baby-game for everyone

Roguey: Codex Cassandra.

In a semi-related matter, I love how the SA thread has gone full-Hepler.

LoL is still a better-designed game than DOTA2 with its failure of a pointlessly high skill floor.
And this is bad design how?
Tabletop hack Monte Cook timmycard toughness bullshit. Games aren't better when they're pointlessly made harder to get into, and only an extremely insecure person would think so.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I love how the SA thread has gone full-Hepler.
You can't just say this and leave me hanging.
A bunch of posters are getting mad at other posters who don't want easy-mode to be "push button to win mode" and are saying that's exactly what it should be because some people are just in it for the narrative. Little Heplers.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Tabletop hack Monte Cook timmycard toughness bullshit. Games aren't better when they're pointlessly made harder to get into, and only an extremely insecure person would think so.

You do not play competitive games. Your opinion on which competitive game is a better competitive game is invalid. LoL is better for casuals.

The best competitive games were all ones that had a huge margin between skill floor and skill ceiling - Quake 3, Tribes, Counter Strike 1.6, Starcraft: Brood Wars, Call of Duty 1, Painkiller, UT99, DotA

Nowadays though spectator-friendliness is important for big tournaments, so the games that put effort into those are the ones that get played/sponsored.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There's a difference between easy to learn, and getting an ASS_WHOOPING because you jumped in the deep end first. You can quote other people all you like, but it still doesn't change the fact of the first line of my post.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Considering learning is one of fun when you playing a game, easy to learn game is actually less fun than a difficult to learn, impossible to master game.
Solium infernum, and armageddon empires are fun games. Eador is fun as well, when you don't use these abusive tactics.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You don't like 2D backgrounds?
Who cares about 2D backgrounds when you are not playing adventure game, or game like Myst? RPG create theirs own content, and ability to make a big bloody splat is more important than 2D/non 2D background.

Fidelity of environment matters of course. Splating someone on detailed ground is more interesting than doing so on a random hand drawn image.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love how the SA thread has gone full-Hepler.
You can't just say this and leave me hanging.
A bunch of posters are getting mad at other posters who don't want easy-mode to be "push button to win mode" and are saying that's exactly what it should be because some people are just in it for the narrative. Little Heplers.

Is that our Arkeus in that thread? He's being very patient with those ninnies. :salute:

(link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=204#post433559224)

Arkeus

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom