Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm sure we have Codexers around more than willing to be their "line managers" or "community reps" and keep sending them (Obsidian) detailed summaries and/or dick selfies, in the hope of landing the job.

As far as I know, Obsidian have shown no interest in hiring from among the fans, and they don't seem to be interested in establishing a Brother None-esque "community rep" position.

Pretty sure that was just a dig at sea :P

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
This is Brandon Adler, from the PE team. I usually open this thread a few times a week to see what is being posted. I also usually read through any posts about PE updates too. Mainly, I just want to see what the community enjoys or hates about the game.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Assuming, you are the real Brandon Adler, welcome to The Codex!
Thanks. I have followed The Codex off and on over the years, but never posted. I just wanted to let you guys know that we do have people that pay attention to these threads, even if we are just quietly lurking most of the time.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am not really surprised that The Codex is being followed this way, but I am pleasantly surprised that B. Adler has decided to register and post about it. :bro:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Told ya. I've seen Josh obliquely reply to things we were discussing here just a tad too often for it to be a coincidence.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It is not surprising that developers would be circumspect about visiting/viewing the Codex. This place can be rough sometimes. It is a lot more tame now than it used to be, but phew.

ETA: I remember lurking back in 2004 when Oblivion was announced. Holy shit this place was brutal.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
It is not surprising that developers would be circumspect about visiting/viewing the Codex. This place can be rough sometimes. It is a lot more tame now than it used to be, but phew.

ETA: I remember lurking back in 2004 when Oblivion was announced. Holy shit this place was brutal.

Most developers I know have a pretty thick skin and don't mind arguing the merits and flaws of their games. The larger problem with posting as a representative of Obsidian (instead of just some anonymous mook) is that you have to be more careful with what you say. This isn't a Codex specific thing, but opinions can get heated here.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Most developers I know have a pretty thick skin and don't mind arguing the merits and flaws of their games. The larger problem with posting as a representative of Obsidian (instead of just some anonymous mook) is that you have to be more careful with what you say. This isn't a Codex specific thing, but opinions can get heated here.

That's what I mean, and why I understand a lot of developers won't "come out" on a site like this. Take part in the wrong conversation, or say the wrong thing, and you're in trouble. Easier to just lurk.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, the Codex can be especially nitpicky about, well, everything, so I can understand why devs might not be very eager to post here and later get torn to shreds over every minor inconsistency between what they wrote and what actually is in the game.

Delterius

Arcane
Assuming, you are the real Brandon Adler, welcome to The Codex!
Thanks. I have followed The Codex off and on over the years, but never posted. I just wanted to let you guys know that we do have people that pay attention to these threads, even if we are just quietly lurking most of the time.
I know some great therapists. Just in case.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sentimental gifs
34qr2x0.gif

Super-weird, super-inappropriate 'shops that make me laugh every time.
AQusT.jpg

Athelas

Arcane
You can't pitch a Fallout clone with RTwP combat anymore than you can pitch a Baldur's Gate clone with TB combat, as the outrage over T:ToN's combat system very well demonstrates (and that was over a game where combat was an afterthought).

Last edited:
What I want more than anything is a game that's fun enough to play, through a story with C&C that changes the way I think about life. I can't describe how tired I am of classics being glorified for things that other games did better, while the great plot isn't even mentioned--when that's the one thing that doesn't become obsolete.

I think PoE has the potential to be this, mostly because MCA said "[the story is]...really...great."

In short,listen to Tim Cain.
(I feel like that should be a meme)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can't pitch a Fallout clone with RTwP combat anymore than you can pitch a Baldur's Gate clone with TB combat, as the outrage over T:ToN's combat system very well demonstrates (and that was over a game where combat was an afterthought).
That was a tempest in a teacup; a vocal minority. Sure you can make a rtwp Fallout clone: Van Buren and Troika's PA-RPG were both going to have it.

Of course Obsidian's not doing a Fallout clone. Nor inXile for that matter.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That was a tempest in a teacup; a vocal minority. Sure you can make a rtwp Fallout clone: Van Buren and Troika's PA-RPG were both going to have it.

Of course Obsidian's not doing a Fallout clone. Nor inXile for that matter.
InXile isn't, but they did pitch W2 as a Fallout-like.

Of course Obsidian mentioned ToEE during their kickstarter, and I'm pretty sure they would have raised ~90% as much money no matter what combat system they said they'd do.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd take actual real time over it.
Good news, you can ignore the pause in favor of slowing down time.

Yeah, I've always found the "RTwP sucks but just real-time is okay" thing to be bizarre.

I think what the people who say that actually mean is that they'd be okay with a sophisticated action-RPG where you control one character only (eg, Gothic, Dark Souls) or with a turn-based traditional CRPG with full party control, but not with a real-time traditional CRPG with full party control. Not sure, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom