Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You keep bringing this up. Wasn't GoT an action-RPG, where you clicked to slash your weapon or whatever?

Not really. I understand GoT is actually similar with Dragon Age. Didn't play that one so I don't know.
Regardless, that mode in PE sounds exactly like the one in GoT. Which is real-time with slow motion so you have the time to use abilities, items and stuff.

Worked fine for Myth: TFL.

:rage:

What in the god fuck. Some say Myth is RTwP, some say it's slow motion. Reality is completely different. You people are crazy. I need a drink.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
What in the god fuck. Some say Myth is RTwP, some say it's slow motion. Reality is completely different. You people are crazy. I need a drink.

IIRC in Myth TFL you could slow it down for half speed while in Myth 2 you could slow it down to 1/4 speed.

Edit: Now that I think of it, it's possible that the last time I played Myth TFL I used some mode which transports to Myth 2 engine or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not really. I understand GoT is actually similar with Dragon Age. Didn't play that one so I don't know.

Actually, from reading about it, it sounds like it's a kind of fantasy KOTOR, where it works like a traditional RPG but you're kind of focused on one character at a time, instead of managing them all from a bird's eye view. Can anybody who's played it confirm?

IIRC in Myth TFL you could slow it down for half speed while in Myth 2 you could slow it down to 1/4 speed.

Yeah, the thing is, when you slow it down that much, is there really much of a difference with RTwP? Myth even on 1x speed was pretty slow. It was actually more common for you to speed it up than slow it down.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually, from reading about it, it sounds like it's a kind of fantasy KOTOR, where it works like a traditional RPG but you're kind of focused on one character at a time, instead of managing them all from a bird's eye view. Can anybody who's played it confirm?
Yeah, basically.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Actually, from reading about it, it sounds like it's a kind of fantasy KOTOR, where it works like a traditional RPG but you're kind of "focused" on one character at a time, instead of managing them all from a bird's eye view.

Don't really know KOTOR either, but you have a party and you manage them all. I don't know what "kind of focused" means. You press space and the game goes slow motion rather than pause. Which is dumb because at least if it's paused you can think about what you want to do. Slow motion is just what is sounds like, the game just runs very slow so you definitely don't have the control RTwP gives you.
That's why you pause so much in RTwP, to get control. You don't have that with slow motion.

Different thing. Starcraft and other games which have the option to alter the speed are slow motion too then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't really know KOTOR either, but you have a party and you manage them all.

No, you don't really manage them. You control one party member, while the others use their AI. You can "body swap" and take control of another one at any time, but there's no top-down point and click interface for controlling them all simultaneously in an effective manner. It's a consolized form of RTwP.
Which is dumb because at least if it's paused you can think about what you want to do. Slow motion is just what is sounds like, the game just runs very slow so you definitely don't have the control RTwP gives you.

Of course you don't, but sometimes the pause is overkill. Sometimes you want a little more control over a long period of time, not total control at one defined moment in the battle.

When the game is paused, the battle doesn't progress, so if you want to maintain control over a long period of time, you need to "pause spam". That's not fun.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No, you don't really manage them. You control one party member, while the others use their AI. You can "body swap" and take control of another one at any time, but there's no top-down point and click interface for controlling them all simultaneously in an effective manner. It's a consolized form of RTwP.

What the hell does it matter?
Actually, thinking about it, the more you have to control the more pointless slow-motion is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You'd be surprised! When there are lots of things going on at once, you dont notice that it's slow.

Anyway, they're not taking out pause, so there's no real issue here.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
GoT's slow motion is very different to what PoE's sounds like. It is extremely slow, to the point where it would be unbearable to actually let the action play out like that even if you had 10 more characters to control. You only use it to queue abilities (it was also the only way to bring up all your abilities I think, so you had to use it), or quickly activate potions if you take a surprisingly large hit.

PoE's seems designed to be used during the times in IE games when spacebar-spamming (which effectively made your own slow motion) was ideal, eg. waiting to see just how much that fireball hits everyone for so you can decide who to start focus firing. You'll want to issue those attack commands the second the fireball explodes, to minimize downtime. I'd find a half or quarter speed setting, along with a full pause, quite useful for those moments.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Slow motion should also be much better for youtube let's plays, because it won't break the flow of the game as much.
Pause will be better for text-based let's plays, obviously. :obviously:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Btw for those constantly complaining about the Arches in ruins looking unrealistic - here's why

I haven't seen the post but someone said that there was discussion about the arches in the screenshot. I'm not sure if you can see the details of the arches, but the stones are actually held together with adra. Adra is a grown, shell-like substance that the Engwithans used both as structural elements and for binding purposes in their architecture. Often they would build things like traditional stone arches and grow adra in-between, using it like slow-growing mortar. As their buildings fall apart, it results in impossible-looking/gravity-defying ruins.

The concept of adra was developed early on as a not-quite magical material that had some interesting properties. I like being able to have "impossible" structures, but I don't like hand-waving their impossibility away.

Old posts from here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64964-update-70-new-year-project-update/

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Btw for those constantly complaining about the Arches in ruins looking unrealistic - here's why

I haven't seen the post but someone said that there was discussion about the arches in the screenshot. I'm not sure if you can see the details of the arches, but the stones are actually held together with adra. Adra is a grown, shell-like substance that the Engwithans used both as structural elements and for binding purposes in their architecture. Often they would build things like traditional stone arches and grow adra in-between, using it like slow-growing mortar. As their buildings fall apart, it results in impossible-looking/gravity-defying ruins.

The concept of adra was developed early on as a not-quite magical material that had some interesting properties. I like being able to have "impossible" structures, but I don't like hand-waving their impossibility away.

Old posts from here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64964-update-70-new-year-project-update/

my autism thanks you

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't get the point of the slow-motion setting, but hey, as long as it's just an option I don't mind.

I guess I'm just very comfortable with my space bar, and being able to quickly pause and unpause at an given moment is all I want.

Athelas

Arcane
I can already envision a 300-style trailer of PoE where it's in slow-mo and then gets sped up for the killing blow. :P

The funny thing is that so far, PoE's architecture hasn't looked all that 'impossible' compared to the usual fantasy fare.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
I can already envision a 300-style trailer of PoE where it's in slow-mo and then gets sped up for the killing blow. :P

The funny thing is that so far, PoE's architecture hasn't looked all that 'impossible'.
You don't even know what you don't know

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Honestly the whole arches thing annoyed me simply because they wanted to have impossible architecture that would defy physics and all they came up with was regular buildings that should have fallen but didn't. I'm hoping it's used for something actually interesting when the game comes out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wrote a prayer I'm going to recite every night until release later this year.

Our Sawyer at Obsidian, hallowed be your game.
Your balance come, your will be done, on Eora as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our transparent mechanics, and forgive us our resistance to different approaches, as we also have forgiven our cargo cult game designers.
And lead us not into degenerate gameplay, but deliver us from RPGs that focus on narrative at the expense of systems and content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom