Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, more or less the same but with some modification, which will be announced in the coming months. Be sure to check this thread.
Great news!

:lol: I'm not sure if that was the response Irenaeus was expecting.

We don't know if it's really the same kind of system.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they are using the POE combat system, I hope they either fix or just remove the engagement system.

That was probably my biggest gripe with POE's combat.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I don't think Anthony Davis will tell us or even if he know. But that's most important question about this game I think. I'd prefer TB ofc.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Yes, more or less the same but with some modification, which will be announced in the coming months. Be sure to check this thread.
Great news!

:lol: I'm not sure if that was the response Irenaeus was expecting.

I wasn't expecting anything, just laying out what we know about the game: that it will use PoE's systems. It's written somewhere here or the other thread.

People are still complaining about the engagement system? Sounds like they have commitment issues to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's using the same engine as PoE and a system described as "classic with modern mechanics". That's what we know right now.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I would prefer TB myself - but RTwP is cool too.

This is just my personal take:
RTwP looks better, ie. more cinematic and visually pleasing. However I personally don't enjoy pausing which leads to frustration when I misclick and everyone goes nuts.
TB just allows for more control I find. nuXCOM also proved that it can be cinematic as well - though a lot of their cinematics get lulzy when the environment interferes.

I find both to be equally tactical, just in different ways. For example, in TB, I need to worry about imitative - whereas in a RTwP game like PoE, I need to worry about movement speed.

There will be plenty of details coming out about the combat in Tyranny in the weeks ahead.

Athelas

Arcane
Thanks for confirming it's RTwP. :P

I find both to be equally tactical, just in different ways. For example, in TB, I need to worry about initiate - whereas in a RTwP game like PoE, I need to worry about engagement.
Fixed. :troll:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
which leads to frustration when I misclick and everyone goes nuts.
At least in RTWP you can instantly fix a misclick...in TB you just stare at a retard standing out in the open knowing he's doomed when it's the enemy's turn. People who make TB games that don't have an option to confirm order deserve death penalty.

Trashos

Arcane
If they are using the POE combat system, I hope they either fix or just remove the engagement system.

That was probably my biggest gripe with POE's combat.

How long ago did you last play PoE? The engagement system is still there, but it becomes weaker with each patch. With patch 3 it is so weak that it hardly makes a difference. So you may want to try it, if you haven't.

This is just my personal take:
RTwP looks better, ie. more cinematic and visually pleasing. However I personally don't enjoy pausing which leads to frustration when I misclick and everyone goes nuts.
TB just allows for more control I find. nuXCOM also proved that it can be cinematic as well - though a lot of their cinematics get lulzy when the environment interferes.

I find both to be equally tactical, just in different ways. For example, in TB, I need to worry about imitative - whereas in a RTwP game like PoE, I need to worry about movement speed.

TB combat is more systematic and the prepared tactics can often be executed with precision. In RTwP not so much, because it is much more chaotic with timing playing a role.

An issue with PoE was that the encounter progression WAS systematic initially (next encounter add one more beetle, next encounter add two more beetles etc), and it didn't work too well because all these encounters felt similar (while in TB the difference would be clear).

Darkzone

Arcane

Don't try to tell this to the codex. It is a futile cause.
Btw. Why the fucking purple gay crystals? It would have looked much better without them and it would had some Dark Sun vibe.

Deleted member 7219

The butthurt from the usual people will be glorious.

^

Obsidian haven't made a bad game since Storm of Zehir (and I know some Obsidian devs who worked on that game may read this post - I don't mean to dismiss your work, but it didn't take off the way it could have and it was a reversal of what made MotB great).

Even Alpha Protocol, a failure by SEGA's standards, had excellent reactivity and has become a bit of a Codex classic.

Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't great but it did what it set out to do, and it was an important demonstration that Obsidian could make their own engine and release a stable product.

The reaction to Pillars of Eternity from some people here has been hysterical. We get it, you don't like isometric RtWP. Good thing there's plenty of games out there that do give you turn-based combat.

Like Anthony Davis I can see the merits in both... having played through Pillars and its expansion, I think combat is definitely its weakest point, but other parts of the game (like the story, the writing, the outstanding visual design) more than make up for it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
bad game...Storm of Zehir

Even Alpha Protocol, a failure by SEGA's standards, had excellent reactivity and has become a bit of a Codex classic.

Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't great but it did what it set out to do, and it was an important demonstration that Obsidian could make their own engine and release a stable product.

Alpha Turd and DS3 > SoZ

:kingcomrade:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Well, I don't like to derail - and I know I'm in the minority on this, but I loved SoZ. I wish it had been more than a teeny tiny micro budget expansion - but we wanted to make a more Fortune and Glory type DnD adventure - similar to the original Pool of Radiance, or Darklands.

I get that coming in after MotB - it was a let down story wise, and the tech was a let down (too many map loads and load times at the time). If we had had more time and money we could have done a lot more. The party creation system and the party conversation system alone were enough to make SoZ great in my oh so humble opinion.

I played through DS3 on my 360 and had a great time - despite working on the game and having it all spoiled. I think the biggest mistake made with Dungeon Siege 3, was calling it Dungeon Siege THREE. If we had called it Dungeon Siege Alliance, especially back when BG Alliance and Marvel Alliance were still in people's memories, people would have understood what we were going for. Oh well - sometimes marketing is great - sometimes it sucks.

Alpha Protocol, while unpolished and a bit buggy, was an amazing experience to play. Well, it might have been more than a "bit buggy", but I don't think I ever hit a critical path breaker...

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How long ago did you last play PoE? The engagement system is still there, but it becomes weaker with each patch. With patch 3 it is so weak that it hardly makes a difference. So you may want to try it, if you haven't.

I played it a little recently to try the expansions and the combat was improved. I just think the engagement system needs a bit of a ground up rethink.

Either way, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Alpha Protocol were fuckin brilliant for an evil bastard, if you can make Tyranny alf as good an satisfyin as magnificent bastard Michael Thornton i'll be more an impressed. Shootin Mina cause your tired o her talking, blowin up Leland, fuckin class all way through.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's using the same engine as PoE and a system described as "classic with modern mechanics". That's what we know right now.
I think the omission of the statement "using the combat mechanisms from award-winning PoE", and all the free corresponding hype, is itself telling. Tyranny is at least going to be different enough from PoE that they decided not to compare the combat mechanics to it.

Also, Paradox was fine with early press stating it uses the engine from PoE. It's something different, we just don't know how different.

crystal-ball-predictions.jpg

Prime Junta

I loved what SoZ tried to do. It fails rather badly in the execution however, in no small part due to the limitations of the engine. It's supposed to flow smoothly between small dungeon/location/encounter maps and the world map, but every time it happens you're hit with a loading screen that takes for fucking ever, which makes it more of a chore to play than it's worth.

It's worth another shot in a better engine (not PoE's though because that's almost as bad with loading screens).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It is true, SoZ is destroyed by that engine. MotB too for that matter. I could never even consider replaying them, just the thought of having to suffer with that engine again makes me cry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom