Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really want it to be turn-based, but this is not gonna happen. Most likely the same party-based RTwP shit.

Deleted member 7219

So the trademark belongs to Paradox.

I really hope it was Paradox who pitched the game to Obsidian and not the other way around. I'd hate Obsidian to get screwed over by IP again.

Suicidal

Arcane
This might be very interesting but it depends a lot about how they handle it.

In order for a game like this to work there needs to be a lot of possible options for how your character interacts with the world. If your options as a trusted officer of not-Sauron will be limited to doing his bidding or siding with the inevitable local resistance, then it will definitely suck, because that would be like every RPG ever made except in reverse.

However there is potential for some good character/world development through the actions of your character, because unlike most RPGs where you are just some adventurer hobo who needs to prove his worth to every cunt around him, here it seems like you're going to be some sort of authority figure of considerable power and it would be really cool if you could use your authority to solve problems in different ways.

For example not-Sauron sends you to collect taxes from some village that has decided to protest and stop paying money and the game gives you many different options on how to go about doing that: threaten the village with destruction; make an example of a few villagers of your choice; convince them that even though your boss likes decorating his throne room with impaled skulls, he's still the guy who keeps the land safe from rampaging wildlife and bandits so it might be a good idea to pay your taxes after all; kill everyone and take the money for yourself and then convince your boss that the villagers dumped all their money/goods in a river and you were forced to kill them for disobedience (also, pulling shit like that one too many times might result in a premature game over via execution for treason).

This kind of story could also be used to take certain RPG cliches and look at them from the other point of view, like there could be a quest involving the appearance of some prophesized chosen hero and you, as the dark lord's trusted officer, would have to find out about them by using spies, bribes, taking prisoners, torture, etc.

Since this is an Obsidian game the combat is almost guaranteed to suck a bag of donkey dicks, but if they manage to make a living, reactive world that gives you a lot of opportunities to exercise your power as an "evil" authority figure then it could end up being a great game. I'm interested in seeing where they will go with this.

Angthoron

Arcane
"Beast Population"

YIFFE
tC5JtXQ.jpg

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am lukewarmly excited.

I believe there is a lot of potential to take the serious route, and implement sort of tragic evil aspect, as some already mentioned. I'd say the following Terry Pratchett quote quite nicely summarizes what I would look forward to with great interest:

There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So, I hear this aspires to be the next snoozefest directed by Boredom Interactive. Without Josh this time, but I don't think that will help much. Someone needs to stop them before it's too late and someone gets hurt.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So, there is gonna be a lack of choice? You gonna be forced to be 'evil'? *yawn* That is as bad as being forced to being good. It's like SJW Nazis whining that original GB had 4 males on the team so theyd ecided to fix the sexism by having all females. LOGICZ.

I really do hope you can choose to be 'good'. That way if you choose to remain on the 'evil' path the chocie actually matters. We'll see.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If you're working for good you're good.

Only in RPGs. In real life, a lot of times you start "working for good", but the world being what it is, next thing you know, you end up doing really terrible things. The allies "worked for good" in World War 2

No they didn't. They were just on the side that won and now are viewed as the good guys. If Hitler had won then he'd probably be seen as the good guy to modern Europe
f

Genocide needs to be a thing in this game if they want it to be enjoyable.

Player Character enters Yiffton

biggest-furry-convention-in-the-world-went-down-in-pittsburgh-heres-a-group-shot-of-some-attendees.jpg

Welcome to our humble town weary traveler!

mEWHGkLb.jpeg

What the

DeepOcean

Arcane
biggest-furry-convention-in-the-world-went-down-in-pittsburgh-heres-a-group-shot-of-some-attendees.jpg

Can I use C4 to smash a building over those people Islamic state style? Obsidian? If I can, I will ignore your lazy and jew ways to become your fan again.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I realized that I would be more exited about the premise of "lieutenant of the dark overlord in occupied territories", if game was KoDP-like rather than yet another isometric loot fest.

Last edited:
The pitch weirdly reminded me of Glen Cook's Black Company series. Sadly, it's probably will be more like srz bzns Overlord. Who's the project lead on this?

hivemind

Not like you have the mental capacity to understand what was written afterwards anyhow.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Complexity and subtlety will be expected in the execution, the actual RPG, not on the teaser trailer.

Please, name one cRPG marketed in that childish manner that also had complexity and subtlety in the execution.

Last edited:

Hegel

Arcane
Will this game crystallize Obsidian's reputation of makers of popamole?

:troll:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom