Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
14 pages, you never disappoint Codex :lol:

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Oh, yeah. It’s great. Forces of evil? Come on! How old are you? Twelve? Here, you should watch He-Man. The series has Skeletor, the incarnation of the forces of evil:
lol holy shit you really are a huge fucking obnoxious tryhard retard

1. So far the EVULL thing is nothing more than a marketing gimmick that tells you NOTHING about what exactly the gameworld is going to be like, it could be a cartoony evil overworld shit or it could be just a generic fantasy world conquered by a Tyrant and the whole thing done more "maturely" with grey morality or it could be maximum edgy grimdark wankfest
getting triggered by something that you don't even know how is going to turn out is beyond retarded

2. Even if it was cartoony "childish" evil shit like Sauron, WHO GIVES A FUCK JESUS CHRIST
it's a fantasy videogame made by a second rate studio, it's (most likely)meant to be fun take on gender tropes where you blast people with fireballs and not a relativist commentary on the nature of evil you dumb twat

kill yourself

Your poasting skills are improving, young Padawan.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
m a r k e t i n g
a
r
k
e
t
i
n
g
I don't buy that. it's not like they outsourced it to some agency.

What he's saying is that all great slogans have a simple, resonant purity. In this case, "evil has conquered the lands, what will you do?"

Complexity and subtlety will be expected in the execution, the actual RPG, not on the teaser trailer.
if there was any attempt at complexity and subtlety the slogan wouldn't already be setting up the dominant power as EVUL

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
If they want to make money off the left end of the IQ curve, the casuals, the popamolers... that's the way to do it.

Cautiously looking forward to this, but I didn't dislike PoE nearly as much as the general Codex consensus. I do worry that they're pushing out the game ripe for setting deconstruction shortly after the accomplished deconstructionist has parted ways with them, but oh well. They'll have my money.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I feel this is the game that will elevate everyone's opinions on PoE and Josh Sawyer.

I don't know about that, but I'm sure it will be a more casual game all around. They're playing with somebody else's money.

Nithrakis

Novice
I feel this is the game that will elevate everyone's opinions on PoE and Josh Sawyer.

I don't know about that, but I'm sure it will be a more casual game all around. They're playing with somebody else's money.

Paradox also develops EU and Hearts of Iron so I don't think that's necessarily a given. If it ends up being casual that might be as much the fault of Obsidian as it is of Paradox.

Darkzone

Arcane
So Obsidians next game is called Tranny.

(This joke is so stupid that certainly someone already made it here before me.)

Oh look more magical purple shit everywhere! Now where have I seen that before...?
Purple is the color of magic.
Purple is the color of Emperors or LGBTs. And together with the Tranny name this would quite fit the second one.
So in other words: This game will be GAY and PC.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Last time they played with someone else's money we got PoE. I just don't think they have the stones to make a challenging game.

I just want to play an RPG that isn't shit, jesus christ is that so much to ask?

Have you seen the codex top 70 list? Most games on that aren't shit, and I bet most people here haven't played most of them. I know I haven't. Good place to start.

As far as Tyranny, I like the premise, it's pretty original compared to the everpresent good guy saving the world approach, but of course the devil is in the details. As someone who usually plays a good character, unlike most of you sick fucks, it would be interesting to see how to play with that mindset in a setting where you can't really be good, but might have to decide who and what to sacrifice for the "greater good".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Last time they played with someone else's money we got PoE. I just don't think they have the stones to make a challenging game.

What I really meant was "somebody else's money that can fuck them over if they don't sell enough copies".

If you're working for good you're good.

Only in RPGs. In real life, a lot of times you start "working for good", but the world being what it is, next thing you know, you end up doing really terrible things. The allies "worked for good" in World War 2, but in the process, they bombed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians into the next world. Same thing with this game, if they do a good job of it, you might end up making "lesser of two evils" decisions, deciding who dies so someone else gets to live, and so on, and by the end of it, you might not feel like you are a good character at all.

orcinator

Liturgist
Also I can't wait to recruit the Paladin of the god of child rape and have her reaction to me rescuing orphans from slavery consist of one somewhat angry line.

Trashos

Arcane
New trailer for Tyranny:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom