Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's new and totally non-Aliens rpg!

Ptosio

Arcane
Good, something new for a change. I wouldn't want just another sci-fi or fantasy RPG.
It reminds Deus-ex, doesn't it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Oh I see. Another one who thinks that Avellone's talent is horribly overrated, and Torment's success was pure luck. Ah that explains it..."

NEWSFLASH: Calling something or someone overrated is different then saying they suck. I, too, find Avellone overrated by the Codex and Obsidian fanboys; but he is s till a great writer. And, PST was a fun game.

However, define 'success' for PST. At best, it was a mild success. Afterall, successful games (and movies, books, tv shows, etc.) tend to have plenty of clones. PST doesn't for the most part. *shrug* And, it while it wa smore successful sales wise than many give it credit for; it surely wasn't a blockbuster despite the IE pimping it got. L0LLIGAGZ!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had hopes when I read this announcement. Thank you Codex for mostly crushing them. I guess I'm still on the side of the optimists, though. I trust in Avelonne's writing talents, and it sounds interesting enough not to suck. And even if it sucks, it's going to be something fucking else than Generic Fantasy RPG #545632233543, and that alone would make me happy.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
And even if it sucks, it's going to be something fucking else than Generic Fantasy RPG #545632233543, and that alone would make me happy.

Ok enough with this bs about generic fantasy. Because most developers handle fantasy settings with an uninteresting and uninspired way doesn't make a non-fantasy setting automatically ideal. For instance FR is a completely NON-GENERIC setting but bad implementation to the PC for the most part, made it look like that. Would you prefer a "non generic" Invisible War kind of game?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, Avelonne has a talent for good writing in rather unusual settings, so I guess it's good that it's a non-generic fantasy RPG. Did he write the story for NWN2 too? If yes, then he has definitely more talent for other things than generic fantasy.

Radech

Augur
Could be horrible, could be awesome... it holds a lot of potential, If done with the right dose of humour it could be legendary, if done with too little or too much it could be extremely lame.

-Main character is Michael Thorton, a fully trained but inexperienced young operative who has the world turned upside down when a mission goes wrong.
-not so fond about this, if it's an agent game i wanne be either Sean Connery or the greek dude Phillip Seymor Hoffman played in Charlie Wilsons War(actually playing as an old, forgotten, overweight agent leading a covert war noone cares about, in a country noone knows exists would be awesome beyond belief)

-Battle system is similar to Mass Effect but have more in common with Uncharted. It revolves around real time combat with an emphasis on gun play and high tech gadgets.
-Haven't tried either game, so not sure exactly how this will play out, noted someone said skills won't affect aim, which as an old fps whore I'm quite satisfied with, i hate nothing more than stuff messing with my 1337 skills :P, I'm sorry but skill affected RT gun combat just really pisses me off, even though it makes more sense, and raise the difficulty bar etc etc
-I really hope they watch the old James Bond movies when making up "high tech gadgets" gun-cigarettes and watch-lasers are great! fireball-pen and "summon greater goblin of death and destruction"-pants are not

-Third person perspective, action orientated gameplay
-My preferred perspective, for singlecharacter rpg's(for the love of god please no followers this time, agents don't have pals, only Q and ladies to love and leave), my least favorite gameplay, but if the rest is done right and the combat isn't button smashing and enemies with AI based on lemmings it'll do

-The game will suit all play styles from the run and gunner to the stealth assassin.
-annoying, they should put in a "superüberninja"-mode that you could enable at the start of the game, where all the enemies get their damage upped enough that almost all combat will be very lethal, so you if you insist on stealth assasin you would be punished if you fuckup, so that the guys button smashing their way to the cutscenes can play that way, and the stealthboys can go stealthy without feeling like they're just wasting their time and skipping out on phat lewt.

-Extremely in depth dialog system that is a mix of Mass Effect and Indigo Prophecy. Once conversations happen, that's it, no revisiting the NPC to try to talk again and again. System is named the Dialog Stance System. You dictate your characters tone in a conversation by pressing a corresponding face button. Options can be cool and suave others can be brash/impatient.
-gonna miss all the funny dialogue options i would never choose, but then again that somewhat more realistic, you shouldn't have time to ponder all your responses because after all you are in the middle of a conversation, not gonna judge this until i try it, it seems a bit daft but could turn out good.

-Lots of girls and romance subplots. You'll meet tons of different girls on missions and yes you can bag them all.
-a lot of people have been bashing this, and i would too if it wasn't because of the setting, usually rpg romances are just silly and out of place, and these will no doubt be just as silly, but complete and utterly IN place, you're james bond off course you're gonna be bagging lot's and lot's of ladies, it's in your job description. Again this is a phase where the right dose of dry homour is absolutely essential, the Roger Moore bond films did this perfectly i hope they can emulate that.

If they can capture the humour of the old(connery/moore) Bond films, it could really be awesome, but please forget about Jack Bauer, he's just isn't agenty enough(if it's cool we want it's Bond, if it's realism/cool go with Gust Avrakotos if you want plain old realism, go with a stereotypical deskjockey) anyway looking forward to this - and really really hope they can get john cleese in on this one as well, he was HEAVEN as Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard in Jade Empire

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Did he write the story for NWN2 too? If yes, then he has definitely more talent for other things than generic fantasy."

NWN2 including the awesome MOTB is *"generic" fantasy*.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Radech said:
-The game will suit all play styles from the run and gunner to the stealth assassin.
-annoying, they should put in a "superüberninja"-mode that you could enable at the start of the game, where all the enemies get their damage upped enough that almost all combat will be very lethal, so you if you insist on stealth assasin you would be punished if you fuckup, so that the guys button smashing their way to the cutscenes can play that way, and the stealthboys can go stealthy without feeling like they're just wasting their time and skipping out on phat lewt.

Half-Life 2 did the "suit all play styles" thing well, you could run and gun your way through the levels, but there was usually a fire barrel or a way to sneak behind your enemies or something that made your life a lot easier.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow. I can't believe people are already passing judgment on this game.

All we have is a small blurb filled with PR bullshit. With names like Mass Effect and Bioshock being dropped, you know this was written by someone simply trying to appeal to the masses (this was found in Game Informer) and not someone directly involved with the game.

Nutcracker

Scholar
-Lots of girls and romance subplots. You'll meet tons of different girls on missions and yes you can bag them all.

Let's just hope that the characters practice safe sex - we dont to have any incidents such as the one below:

wtf2li3.jpg

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Herbert West said:
Some subtle parody of this genre and a dose of intelligent autoirony could make this game very enjoyable.

Most genres could use a game that does this. Like first person shooters:

"Dude! Where are my legs!? They are gone. They are motherfucking gone man!"

"You are a disembodied floating pair of arms, Jordan Slaveman. You are expected to collect an assortment of keys that are colour coded to open specific doors in the enemy's lair."

"But who am I supposed to be killing?"

"Demonic alien transdimensional time travelling marines that have undergone retroviral genetic engineering. You can distinguish the chaff from the wheat by the colour of their armour which are in bright primary colours to be easily spot from miles away."

Sisay

Liturgist
I wasn't really sold on the idea at first, I kept thinking how damn great a historical agent RPG could've been. Stage coups and try to kill Castro etc. The Bond thing didn't really sound that interesting but now that someone brought up No One Lives Forever I've changed my mind. Those were actually really fun games, and maybe Obsidian can pull off something similar if they don't take it too seriously. More humor and less Jack Bauer, hopefully.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
oh shit , a TRUE "LP Jack Bauer" thread. Plz finish it soon Obsy!

Nutcracker

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Thanks for making that safe for work!

For the codex community, i am always willing to go the extra mile. Although i doregret censoring the breasts, it seems to take away a lot of the flavour of the piece. Still, i didnt want to risk deletion.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Oh I see. Another one who thinks that Avellone's talent is horribly overrated, and Torment's success was pure luck. Ah that explains it..."

NEWSFLASH: Calling something or someone overrated is different then saying they suck. I, too, find Avellone overrated by the Codex and Obsidian fanboys; but he is s till a great writer. And, PST was a fun game.
The Feral Kid called me a fanboy after I merely mentioned MCA. I really don't know what to make out of it.

However, define 'success' for PST. At best, it was a mild success. Afterall, successful games (and movies, books, tv shows, etc.) tend to have plenty of clones. PST doesn't for the most part. *shrug* And, it while it wa smore successful sales wise than many give it credit for; it surely wasn't a blockbuster despite the IE pimping it got. L0LLIGAGZ!
By success I meant "was praised for its story". Sure, it wasn't a commercial success, but it's a cult game now.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a good thing they didn't draw inspiration from a game like, oh, say Jagged Alliance, then it might have been good.

But it is good to see non Fantasy RPGs, let's hope Alien and this don't suck, or we can credit Obsidian with single handedly killing non fantasy RPGs.

Plus the agents name should be Michael Skarn ROFLCOPTER

(Insert LOLcat or w40k spam here)

Starwars

Arcane
Looks like there will be more info coming soon.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/ ... .46802.htm

EDIT: ALso:

Loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. A talented young agent cast out by his government, Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending international catastrophe. To do so means he must cut himself off from the very people he is sworn to protect. As players determine how to accomplish different objectives, the decisions made and actions taken in each mission will ultimately transform the type of secret agent Michael Thorton will become. Every choice the player makes as Michael Thorton will carry consequences for his future and the fate of the world.

From http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=200463

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LOL Rippin off ME. L0L

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom