Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian working on a New Game - Feargus Urquhart interview

On the eve of destruction, in a forgotten page of
Jaesun said:
Oh for fucks fucking sake and for the love of the Black Baby Jesus!

What the fuck do you think he was going to respond with?

Obviously he was going to tear them a new asshole then call up Todd Howard on Monday morning with a perky "Suck it, Bitch!" before asking for some additional funding and reassuring him that Vegas is going smoothly. Talking shit about your boss, no matter how true the shit is, is certainly the smart thing to do if you want to keep your job. Mr. Urquhart really disappointed here.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
SimpleComplexity said:
I`m sure their next project will have something to do with RPG,

Well the new game is using the Onyx Engine so that == an RPG game. So far that is good.

Huh? Onyx Engine was created specially for Aliens RPG - a shooter game.
Anyway this project will be shit too. So far Obsidian has a rate of 3 shit games, 1 acceptable and 1 failed. Right now they are working on two shooters - one is a spiritual successor to Mass Effect and the other one is a spiritual successor to Fallout shooter spin-off. Basically it already means 5 shitty games to 1 acceptable.
Will this project be at least mediocre? Place your bets, gayserins and gentlemen.

Shannow

Waster of Time
What we'd love to do instead is tackle something like Baldur's Gate 3 or create our own new fantasy world - or have we already been doing that?
Wow, just like Dragon Age: Origins.
Does that mean this will be Dragon Age: Destinations?
Picking up Bio's scraps again? :twisted:

But seriously, considering their funding/money troubles should they really be working on so many titles simutaneously?

And Jaime, shut the fuck up. You managed 3 weeks of not being an utter retard. You were doing so well. Guess it's back to RA sessions for you... :cry:

Jim Cojones

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
Can You provide any links to Obsidian developers saying anything about combat system that would prove You're not talking out of Your ass? No? So STFU.

But seriously, considering their funding/money troubles should they really be working on so many titles simutaneously?
What problems?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
MetalCraze said:
Can You provide any links to Obsidian developers saying anything about combat system that would prove You're not talking out of Your ass? No? So STFU.
Even more - one of the devs "unofficially" hinted VtmB as a source of inspiration for combat system here on the Codex. Also it was a game for consoles and there are only 2 genres there - racing and shooters - if you think that Aliens RPG was meant to be a racing game - well you are pretty naive. But please continue your baaawing.

MetalCraze said:
Also it was a game for consoles and there are only 2 genres there - racing and shooters.
Valkyria_cover.jpg

But please continue your baaawing.

On-topic: I'm interested to see what Ziets came up with when he was freed from the shackles of Forgotten Realms.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jim Cojones said:
What problems?
Aliens RPG was put on hold (it now looks like it will not be cancelled but still...) and there was quite some doubt as to how well Obsidian was doing financially. Other than that it is simple common sense:
The more games you develop simultaneously the longer they take or the more people you have to employ. Both cost money.
Funding could become quite the problem. Depending on the publishers and the contracts that were made, of course. But generally I'd rather put my best workers on 1-3 games, achieve the highest possible quality and bring them out in a timely fashion, than spreading all my competence over 5 or more titles with insecure funding.
If I were as cynical as skyway, I'd assume they're running a confidence scam. Get paid for developing as many games as possible until it all falls apart. You'll have gotten more money than if you'd developed one game that turns out to be a shit and publishers don't touch you anymore. As is to be expected from Obsidian /skyway-conspiracy

Shannow said:
If I were as cynical as skyway, I'd assume they're running a confidence scam. Get paid for developing as many games as possible until it all falls apart. You'll have gotten more money than if you'd developed one game that turns out to be a shit and publishers don't touch you anymore. As is to be expected from Obsidian /skyway-conspiracy
Or it could be much more simple, like this: Obsidian has three teams. One team is lead by Avellone and is developing Alpha Protocol. Another one, helmed by Sawyer, was developing Aliens RPG, but later was moved to New Vegas. The last, smaller team consists mostly of MotB/SoZ guys and gals and is currently brainstorming the unannounced project that has yet to enter full scale production. Looks pretty realistic to me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Skyway-conspiracy? Well that's new.

It's much more simple than that. It's a simple greed - Obsidian has a very shitty management as was proven multiple times since KotOR2 contract - Feargus & gang just try to take on more than they can swallow. There is no other logical explanation of why a team of 60 people will take on 3 1-2 year projects at once and even now when 20 people got fired and one project failed they immediately jump onto another contract. Another proof is that Obsidian is never tried to create anything of their own - each game is a sequel of another/based on a popular over-used franchise/both - and they also radically shifted to the shooter side now. It's like Feargie & gang believe that they are a conveyor on a par with EA <s>Edmonton</s> and can churn out a shitty project every year but somehow can't take into account that they lack both experience and resources.

Jaeson said:
Also from the interview:

What we'd love to do instead is tackle something like Baldur's Gate 3 or create our own new fantasy world - or have we already been doing that? :)

OMG! It's the NEW NEW Shit!
Wait, this could also mean they are working on Baldurs Gate 3. Meh, better make it good.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I also think it is Baldur's Gate 3. And I agree with Hummelgumpf on what the likely scenario is.

As for their financial difficulties, I think a lot of that was eased when they got the contract for New Vegas. Bethesda to the rescue!

Jim Cojones

Prophet
About future of Aliens RPG:

alienb.jpg

AvP publisher, Sega, announced two other alien tiles a while ago - one was shooter Aliens: Colonial Marines made by Brothers in Arms Creators, that should allow us to lead a group of brave warriors fighting insectoid extraterrestrials. Second - an project known as Aliens RPG - the game about which we don't know anything (haven't seen even a single screenshot). We thought both were cancelled, but Gemma Willocks from Sega told us: "I can't tell anything specific for now but I van assure you both games are still being made and production goes well." She's hot, we can trust her.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jim Cojones said:
AvP publisher, Sega, announced two other alien tiles a while ago - one was shooter Aliens: Colonial Marines made by Brothers in Arms Creators, that should allow us to lead a group of brave warriors fighting insectoid extraterrestrials. Second - an project known as Aliens RPG - the game about which we don't know anything (haven't seen even a single screenshot). We thought both were cancelled, but Gemma Willocks from Sega told us: "I can't tell anything specific for now but I van assure you both games are still being made and production goes well." She's hot, we can trust her.

I really hope this is true.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:
SimpleComplexity said:
I`m sure their next project will have something to do with RPG,

Well the new game is using the Onyx Engine so that == an RPG game. So far that is good.

They why would they use Onyx instead of the superior shooter engine Unreal?

Nice try skyway. :lol:

Jim Cojones said:

FUCKING PLEASE be true! :HOPE CHANGE:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
They why would they use Onyx instead of the superior shooter engine Unreal?

Nice try skyway. :lol:
Because all you can do with UE3 engine is make clones of Gears of War? Seriously though - Obsidian said that Onyx would let them do what they want, not to be limited by UE3 which isn't that good - genre has nothing to do with it. Also as I've already said in this thread - if you expect a multiplatform game to be a proper RPG - you're very very naive. Two recent Obsidian projects (which are console shooters ZING) only prove that.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Welcome to the Skyway's world where:

Even more - one of the devs "unofficially" hinted VtmB as a source of inspiration for combat system here on the Codex
- experience rewarding system = combat system,

Also it was a game for consoles and there are only 2 genres there - racing and shooters - if you think that Aliens RPG was meant to be a racing game - well you are pretty naive. But please continue your baaawing.
- most games = every game.

Because all you can do with UE3 engine is make clones of Gears of War?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3
I can see quite a few games that don't use close TPP, autoregeneration or cover system. The definition of if it includes platform games, sport games, MMos, multiplayer FPSes or fighting games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Failure at sarcasm - this is what you get with selective reading. Then again what else to expect from an Obsidian fanboy who still believes that Obsidian is capable of creating a game without extremely shitty gameplay for whatever reason and was registered past F3 release date. Even despite Obsidian showing you that they are making two shooters for infantile retards, as per Feargus "We are making this game for 15 year olds"

Jim Cojones

Prophet
What an irony. Let's see who fails at reading: I'm not trying to say Obsidian is a good developer. I'm not even try to prove Aliens RPG wouldn't be a shooter. I'm just pointing out how full of shit are you and how retarded is your "argumentation".

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well next time when you'll try to point out something - try reading the whole argument - it won't make you look like a stupid Obsidian fanboy and you won't have to weasel your way out. Just a hint.

skyway

Educated
I sense crispy sexual tension.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom