Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion turns 10 years old

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

:M

Never finished the main quest (got about three quests in) or the Fighter's Guild, didn't even start the Arena or the Mages Guild. But I played the shit out of the Shivering Isles. I was usually there or lazing about in Frostcrag Spire. The Dark Brotherhood had a couple interesting quests and I completed that one.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A guy I work with has Xbox and have been playing Oblivion since it was released. He loves that game (he hates Fallout 3 and especially dislikes New Vegas) and has been replaying it constantly.

I told him that thought of playing vanilla Oblivion on Xbox for all eternity is pretty much my definition of Hell.

MWaser

Arbiter
In all seriousness, Oblivion wasn't completely abysmal. I've played far worse games.

At least its magic was still useful (2 weakness to magic + weakness to elements spells for a combo into a drain health+elemental damage instakill comboes were quite satisfying, and better than anything I had ever found in Skyrim), and the quest lines for both the main quest and the mages' guild were less ridiculous than in Skyrim as well. Oh sure, the main quest was complete trash in terms of both storytelling and gameplay, with the only remotely interesting thing being Mankar Camoran's definition of paradise, and the vast majority of the main quest being really shitty fetch quests, but I wasn't being told I'm the chosen one every 10 minutes at least.

Still, it had fucking unbearably bad level-scaling, magic that was still less interesting than in Morrowind, really boring copy-pasta dungeons and rather crappy semi-action based combat.

And on the artistic level (both graphics and visual design etc) it is an offense to humankind, with some of the most unintentionally disturbing shit that was supposed to look normal and unintentionally hilarious shit that was supposed to be disturbing, all located in a really boring, overly color-saturated Standard Fantasy Medieval/Early Modern setting. And they only had like 8 voice actors in total for the game.

I had to stop myself from making some more Skyrim comparisons, if I wanted to do that I should probably go vent in the "Skyrim is much worse than Oblivion" thread, or however it was called.

MWaser

Arbiter
Tried Daggerfall, was unable to figure out how to swing my sword, died. Apparently I'm too smart for Oblivion, bit not smart enough for Daggerfall. So I play Morrowind.
I think the only way to be smart enough for Daggerfall is to have some kind of precognition, because even a walkthrough won't help you out in that unholy mess of confusingly huge story dungeons and hugely confusing random dungeons plastered from shit modules being thrown together, with a good extra touch of sadism from the game developers.

In fact, I consider Daggerfall to be nearly unplayable, but I still admire it in comparison to the newer TES games, because it had a lot of ambition, with some political intrigue stories, very interestingly built locations (all the major main plot dungeons, for example - even if they were unbearable to go through, I admire the fact that the developers built them to be this big, and hid some of the important items in them VERY well. The Mantellan Crux is the epitome of what they could do, with lots of hidden and confusing bullshit, but delivered in a unique and interesting way). Perhaps my favourite part about Daggerfall is that it truly was capable of simulating what it would be like to actually be an adventurer in a hostile fantasy world where all architect's main jobs were building massive underground complexes, aka. dungeon filled fantasy setting. Permanently lost, constantly fearing for your life and disliked, either secretly or openly, by virtually every noble you come in contact with.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What I remember most about Oblivion was when the bandits all started wearing glass armor when I hit lvl 30 or something. Hordes of glass covered thugs attacking me with iron swords. If you can afford glass armor wtf are you bandits? Anyway never finished.

Its guild system was much better than Skyrim's though.

pippin

Never completed the game as well. I think I did like 3 or 4 playthroughs which ammounted to a grand total oflike 10 hours of gameplay?
However, as bad as it might be, I think I'm going to complete it some time soon. Just for the lulz. I mostly remember the physics and voice acting. And while the art direction was dull, some armor models were acceptable imo. Level scaling was a pain in the ass, and encounters were nothing interesting. But it's still something that has to be experienced.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Daggerfail had bandits dropping derpdric armour too tbh.

Also same level scaling, but due to weird coding on low levels you'd encounter the occasional ancient vampire/lich in dungeons too.

MWaser

Arbiter
Daggerfail had bandits dropping derpdric armour too tbh.

Also same level scaling, but due to weird coding on low levels you'd encounter the occasional ancient vampire/lich in dungeons too.
Daggerfall also had people dropping 4 two handed weapons, 2 bows (with no arrows), 3 left pauldrons and like 4 shirts with unicorn horns. I don't think anyone even bothered thinking about how much sense it made for enemies to be dropping their particular loot, it was just like loot sprinkling around after you kill something in a game like Diablo or something.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe on my 5th attempt I'll actually summon up the interest to play past the rat sewers/dungeon...always lose the will to play on once Crispy gets killed.

And I installed every mod that 'fixes' the level scaling at best as it can. Fuck, it's not like I ask for much, just a walking sim with a bit of exploration and map clearing from critters like Gothic 3 or Risen(Even Risen 2 or 3, not even going to attempt to suggest it can come anywhere near first two Gothics).

Robert Jarzebina

Horrible game, so bland, unattractive and uncanny. Just like every other game made by Bethesda after Morrowind.
Playing it was pure torture of soul.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wait, this place isn't Oblivionics Anonymous?!

Don't joke with that, I heard of a guy who actually dropped out of university because of Oblivion.
I joined this place back in 2008 because I read a scathing (and satirical) review of Oblivion on this site. In this moment, when I discovered I am not alone in my loathing of Oblivion, a whole new world was opened to me. I came to understand that it is not my fault that Oblivion is shit, but that Lord Todd made it shit on purpose.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've tried getting into Oblivion a few times, each time heavily modded, yet I don't think I've ever made it past getting to the Imperial City. I don't really have much of a problem with Skyrim but this game has always just bored the complete shit outta me.

Kalon

Scholar
These guys had more fun creating the game than I had playing it.
Also: Todd Howard has a horribly annoying voice.

sullynathan

Arcane
Oh yeah, one good thing to come out of it was when I reached a cave with vampires in it. There were vampire orks and shit so I ended up save scumming and sneaking to get the huge damage bonus. I couldn't beat them all and eventually contacted vampirism on purpose because of the strength bonus and eventually beat the cave, the downsides of vampirism was too much though.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I remember when I was innocent teen and gushing for this game, pre-ordering the CE and playing in my mind scenes of just how much greater than Morrowind it'd be. How it'd improve every aspect of every thing to a point I'd not need any other games ever.

Then the day arrived and I was bored within first 15 minutes. I repressed that feeling because it was successor to Morrowind, my favourite game ever at that point so it just simply couldn't suck. It just wouldn't be possible.

Yet after a week of struggle I just set it aside and didn't touch for years and it took me a long while of gaming experience I hadn't accumulated to at that point yet to be able to explain just why it was so boring in almoust every way it was supposed to surpass the predecessor.

It was the game that crushed my optimism in the future of gaming. :|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom