Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion on PS3 + PSP with new lame faction

Lumpy

Arcane
Nog Robbin said:
Hah. And the game gets even more consolised. I bet the other platforms (PC/xbox) won't get this new faction for free either. It does seem to be the norm though that when a game is developed for another platform that they put extra content in.
Ah well - I guess that's the final nail in the TES RPG coffin, as if Oblivion didn't bury it quite enough...
I don't see how this PS3 release does anything bad to the series, compared to what Oblivion did. The same poor game is released on another platform. Big deal.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
tetsuo said:
They said they reworked the Gamebryo engine almost completely (exactly like bethesda) to the point that they don't even call it "Gamebryo", and actually discarded it, late in development, to code an entirely new engine.
No, they didn't. The publisher dudes keep talking about developing a new engine from scratch, but I've yet to hear anyone claim that they discarded Gamebryo.
The publishers are just glossing over or ignorant of how the engine was developed.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Well, it's nice to see that Bethesda are keeping up their post-Daggerfall tradition of fucking their fans. Even nicer to see that it's the new XBox fanbase, the "go play your old games 'cause Oblivion is teh greatest evah" crowd, getting royally fucked too.

Lumpy

Arcane
Are being fucked by Bethesda releasing the game on PS3 as well?

OverrideB1

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Are being fucked by Bethesda releasing the game on PS3 as well?

No -- fucking over their fans by releasing it on PS3 with additional content that you just know the owners of the PC and XBox versions are going to have to pay for.

Fucking over their fans by developing the game with release on the PS3 in mind -- this isn't just a spur of the moment thing; they'll have had to get the developers kit, make sure that the game will run on the spec of the PS3. All of which must have been planned from the very beginning of the development cycle. And all of which must have been well in hand when the hyperbole engine was at full speed telling us that the game hadn't been developed with console-release in mind.

Shafting their long-term fans, the guys who supported them from Arena to Daggerfall and from Dagegrfall to Morrowind, because you know that TESV is going to be developed for the mass-market console-kiddies as an all-action game with even fewer RPG elements bolted on. And that will be the final nail in the coffin of a once-great RPG series...

Darkflame

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Darkflame said:
Who didn't see this one coming? Beth needs to acquire a fanbase of some sort after backstabbing all their older fans. The Xbox fans got shafted the most, haha, they bought their systems solely for what turned out to be a shitty game, then they got shafted with crappy yet expensive DLC, then again with no CS, then they went for months of no updates while Beth was working on porting the game to PS3, and now they are getting abandoned by Beth altogether while PS3 gets the game with new content! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=566675
Another alt?
And why did you insult summer for closing your trolling thread for trolling?

That isn't me, apparently someone here put my post on TESF...

Either way it is going to be very interesting to see how Gothic 3 comes out. If it follows OBs footsteps, there is going to be a new market emerging for old RPGs that noone has any strong foothold in yet... it may be a good time for entrepreneurs and lesser-known companies to make it big...

elander_

Arbiter
"By that they mean one single city and some of the surrounding shrubbery of course -_-"

That is a fine example of how a sandbox game, done carelessly, can screw up immersion and world credibility more than an HalfLife type of game.

Good and evil? What did you expected, its another Fable, a game designed to have all bestselling game features in a completely incoherent whole.

Xi

Arcane
Money = corporate happiness

The Beauty of this is that they mentioned this 6th faction years ago. So now it's all too clear. They with held content specifically for the PS3(Or possibly for plug-in download purposes). These corporate tactics are ruining this series because we all know, now, that Oblivion could have been a far more expansive game with a much greater amount of content. All these plugins etc have probably been lying around the office for years and instead of putting them in the gold master they decided to chump change us by releasing them as plug-in downloads for $.

Thus is the reason why Bethsda will never be able to recreate another Daggerfall. There corporate kiddies will step in and demand that they not add as much content specifically for the sake of money. And it's not like they won't be making millions the old way too. This new corporate attitude that money rules all is what is destroying there creative side. So, we will never see another Daggerfall again, ever.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Elwro said:
A good Dark Brotherhood? What's next? "Pinchers of the Sun", a guild for law-abiding thieves?
I think the next logical step would be a faction called "The Blunts". It's an organization that, umm... DOESN'T protect the emperor, and erm... AREN'T totally incompetent and unable to prevent anything from happening. Also, they're determined to NOT stop the daedra from taking over Cyrodil. Also, their main weapon is blunt katanas. I mean, come on, coherence and consistency only goes so far, amirite?

Frankie

Novice
Solaris said:
Nog Robbin said:
Hah. And the game gets even more consolised. I bet the other platforms (PC/xbox) won't get this new faction for free either. It does seem to be the norm though that when a game is developed for another platform that they put extra content in.
Ah well - I guess that's the final nail in the TES RPG coffin, as if Oblivion didn't bury it quite enough...

The sales figures suggest otherwise. It's been a spectacular success actually.

...but I agree with your sentiments though, the rpg is dead at bethesda.

This is what happens when you pander to console kiddies. Unfortunately they are the bread and butter of the industry nowadays though. :(

No truer words have been spoken. To bad those same words would get your a warning or a ban on the TES forums.

suibhne

Erudite
Rat Keeng said:
I think the next logical step would be a faction called "The Blunts". It's an organization that, umm... DOESN'T protect the emperor, and erm... AREN'T totally incompetent and unable to prevent anything from happening. Also, they're determined to NOT stop the daedra from taking over Cyrodil. Also, their main weapon is blunt katanas. I mean, come on, coherence and consistency only goes so far, amirite?

So...their goal is to do nothing, but the INNOVASHUN comes from the fact that they're actually competent enough to accomplish it. That is nothing short of BRILLIANT - and you'd best file for copyright now, so you have a leg to stand on when you see this exact idea churned out by Todd's next magnum opus.

As for Bethesda, at this rate I can't imagine their plans not including an MMORPG - presumably TES, since they didn't get the MMO rights to FO and it's easier to rape your own child anyway. This gives me sweet comfort, because I can't imagine them not failing miserably.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
Xbox360, PS3, PSP, mobile phone... now that's mainstreaming baby! Go Zenimax!

10 bucks says that the next TES game (spinoff, not necesarily TES5) will be a MMORPG, cloning every aspect of WoW, just like Oblivion cloned every aspect of Diablo... and LOTR

Todd the Rod said:
Because of some issues we had early on in Oblivion's development, we weren't able to make Radiant AI the truly revolutionary AI that we set out to make. So after some internal testing, we have come up with a new system called Radiant MMO. What Radiant MMO does is to take MMO technology and just rocket it to the next level.

Radiant MMO makes the world believable and entertaining, and I think that's important. But as you play, you start to figure out what you can do with other players, and how you can influence their behavior, and when doing a quest, it really comes into play. A simple "get the diamond from that guy... quest can be done in hundreds of thousands of ways now. Is he sleeping? When is he home? Does he take the diamond to work with him? Does he like me? Does he REALLY like me? Can he sell it? Should I kill him? Pick his pocket? Steal his food and see if he sells the diamond to eat? That's just some off the top of my swollen head.

Shoelip

Arbiter
It's entirely possible that it'll be the PS3 players that'll be screwed and that that version will be an even more half-assed port than the PC version. Just with some crappy new content.

I saw someone post this exact idea on the mod forum a few months ago about having a "good Dark Brotherhood".

whatusername

Scholar
Todd the Rod said:
Because of some issues we had early on in Oblivion's development, we weren't able to make Radiant AI the truly revolutionary AI that we set out to make. So after some internal testing, we have come up with a new system called Radiant MMO. What Radiant MMO does is to take MMO technology and just rocket it to the next level.

Radiant MMO makes the world believable and entertaining, and I think that's important. But as you play, you start to figure out what you can do with other players, and how you can influence their behavior, and when doing a quest, it really comes into play. A simple "get the diamond from that guy... quest can be done in hundreds of thousands of ways now. Is he sleeping? When is he home? Does he take the diamond to work with him? Does he like me? Does he REALLY like me? Can he sell it? Should I kill him? Pick his pocket? Steal his food and see if he sells the diamond to eat? That's just some off the top of my swollen head.

:lol:

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
Re: Money = corporate happiness

Xi said:
The Beauty of this is that they mentioned this 6th faction years ago. So now it's all too clear. They with held content specifically for the PS3(Or possibly for plug-in download purposes).
I don't think so...it took them some three years to create Oblivion. You ever look at the game and wonder where the hell those three years went? I guess it would make sense though if they were holding stuff back for another console...but I don't think they're capable of that much work.

Xi

Arcane

NoisyKillerHPB said:
Xi said:
The Beauty of this is that they mentioned this 6th faction years ago. So now it's all too clear. They with held content specifically for the PS3(Or possibly for plug-in download purposes).
I don't think so...it took them some three years to create Oblivion. You ever look at the game and wonder where the hell those three years went? I guess it would make sense though if they were holding stuff back for another console...but I don't think they're capable of that much work.

8. Have there been any changes to the list of joinable factions? Specifically, any info in the Nine Divines and/or Imperial Legion? Are there 'minor factions' outside of those listed in prior interviews, and if so what can you tell us about them?

There are 5 joinable factions: Fighters, Mages, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood, and the Arena. You also can join the Blades, but that’s ummm…secret. No to the Nine Divines and the Legion, as they have a much different role when the game takes place in Cyrodiil, then say, Morrowind. So just like you couldn’t become an Ordinator in Morrowind, you can’t become a Legion Soldier in Cyrodiil.
http://www.oblivionportal.com/community ... erview.php

This implies that the fans had origionally thought that they would already be in the game. There was an older interview where the Nine Divines had been listed as a Joinable faction and then it was later omitted from the list. Not exactly concrete evidence, but definitely enough to cast some doubts. Plus, they alrdy had the Horse armor mod done before OBs release, they specifically with held this content so they could release it as a plugin. They had screenshots of this mod even before the release of Oblivion, so these aren't brand new tactics or anything.

dongle

Scholar

At one point wasn't their some confusion of the number of joinable factions pretty late in the game? Like some dev slipped and mentioned six. . . . Too lazy to dig it up.

It's absolutely blindingly obvious that the planetarium thingy was content ripped out of the game to be packaged later. I mean there is a door leading right to it in the stock game that doesn’t open. Outside in the courtyard you see a huge assed dome that is a major part of the building's architecture. And what, it was supposed to be just empty? Then the brilliant add-on dev team thought; "Hey, let's use that empty space for something!" Not even worth arguing over.

Both the mage tower, and the thief cave, have obvious spots in the game for them to be. Again with nothing there. The way the thieves one especially slots into the world certainly looks like the world was designed to be added to there.

Horse armor hard to argue either way. Haven't played any of the other mods.

Vidken

Novice
There was a horse armor screenshot floating around well before the release date. It was a white horse wearing elven armor. The implication was that Bethesda was going to make it such a badass plugin that it was taking them months to finish it. Turns out it was some piece of shit modeling project that must have literally taken less than 2 hours. It was too much to expect that every armor type was going to be included. Far too much.

I suppose the main gameplay element in FO3 and TES5 (besides TEH KILLIN') is going to be spotting all the blatant content holes and seeing if you guessed right when you purchase the plugins. ;p

dongle

Scholar
Yes, well, that was in the magazine that broke the news about the payed-for content. Made sense to show a screenshot in the article. Hard to say if there is a gaping hole in the game where the plug-in was ripped from.

Hmmm, wonder where the new faction's base will be. . . .

Lumpy

Arcane
The problem is that that screenshot appeared a couple of months before the game was released. Since the plugin consists of the two models, and they were finished then, they had no reason to remove it from the game.
But I don't think that the rest of the content was taken from the original game to be sold separately. It might have, but it didn't necessarily have to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom