Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion on PS3 + PSP with new lame faction

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154065

Here's what we know so far. The game will introduce a new faction to the Oblivion world, one that's available right at the beginning called Knights of the Nine and described by the developers as "the good Dark Brotherhood." The goal here is to become the Divine Crusader (think part warrior, part priest), and the quest features new locations, characters, armor and weapons.

"Oblivion has these really good character archetypes for evil," says executive producer Todd Howard. "It has the Dark Brotherhood: You get your outfit, you feel like an assassin, you feel like an evil guy, [and] you role-play like an evil guy. We [didn't] have the opposite end of that. There [was] very little reward for being a goody two-shoes."

"As opposed to adding content that allowed your character to just experience new quests, we wanted to create something that allowed your character to become something new," he continues.

psycojester

Arbiter
So this organisation sneaks into peoples tombs and graveyards and returns them to life?

golgotha

Liturgist
In the next expansion, they'll introduce new variations of all armor - "Dark" and "Light".

Mr Happy

Scholar
I'm glad they've decided to move away from the "good vs. evil" thang and towards some moral ambiguitity.....

Darkflame

Scholar
Who didn't see this one coming? Beth needs to acquire a fanbase of some sort after backstabbing all their older fans. The Xbox fans got shafted the most, haha, they bought their systems solely for what turned out to be a shitty game, then they got shafted with crappy yet expensive DLC, then again with no CS, then they went for months of no updates while Beth was working on porting the game to PS3, and now they are getting abandoned by Beth altogether while PS3 gets the game with new content! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is going to make the stupid Xbox fanbois at the ESF go ballistic, with cries of "beth is betraying microsoft and teh xbox!!!1"

Since these people are partially responsible for Oblivion turning into such a trainwreck, I can only rejoice at their unhappiness, both immediately and in the future, when a brand new wave of stupid PS3 fanbois invade the ESF. IF you thought the ESF couldnt get any worse, thrust me it will, every other thread will be an Xbox vs PS3 flamewar.

golgotha

Liturgist
I could only imagine what a group of intelligent RPG developers would be able to accomplish if they were to create their own world within the CS, with rules and gameplay more aimed at actually roleplaying than getting headshots so you look like an even gayer Legolas. It'd be a great slap in the face if they pulled off some great game within the engine, then again they'd only be helping to put money in Beth's pockets in the long term.

Data4

Arcane
golgotha said:
I could only imagine what a group of intelligent RPG developers would be able to accomplish if they were to create their own world within the CS, with rules and gameplay more aimed at actually roleplaying than getting headshots so you look like an even gayer Legolas. It'd be a great slap in the face if they pulled off some great game within the engine, then again they'd only be helping to put money in Beth's pockets in the long term.

Well, that's basically what's going on with Gothic 3. They're using the same Gamebryo engine with Speedtree and Havok (I think). But I do see what you're saying. If I recall correctly, there was a German modding group that put out a couple of nice looking Morrowind TCs. Though, I'm not sure how much they changed gameplay, if at all, since there aren't any English translations.

-D4

franc kaos

Liturgist
Data4 said:
Well, that's basically what's going on with Gothic 3. They're using the same Gamebryo engine with Speedtree and Havok (I think). But I do see what you're saying. If I recall correctly, there was a German modding group that put out a couple of nice looking Morrowind TCs. Though, I'm not sure how much they changed gameplay, if at all, since there aren't any English translations.-D4
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2479532
Engine built from scratch and they don't mention Havok but have implemented Speedtree.

As for the PS3 extra content, this made me laugh. You know it's gonna be offered to Xbox360 and PC as an expansion (or maybe 30 dollar download). Way to screw over all your current fans Beth - well, except for those PC pirates who can be bothered to DL it. Here's hoping the PS3 graphics look better too...

Data4

Arcane
franc kaos said:
Data4 said:
Well, that's basically what's going on with Gothic 3. They're using the same Gamebryo engine with Speedtree and Havok (I think). But I do see what you're saying. If I recall correctly, there was a German modding group that put out a couple of nice looking Morrowind TCs. Though, I'm not sure how much they changed gameplay, if at all, since there aren't any English translations.-D4
Engine built from scratch and they don't mention Havok but have implemented Speedtree.

Ah, I stand corrected. I could have sworn someone said in a preview that they're using Gamebryo, but clearly they're not.

-D4

tetsuo

Scholar
Data4 said:
franc kaos said:
Data4 said:

Ah, I stand corrected. I could have sworn someone said in a preview that they're using Gamebryo, but clearly they're not.

-D4

They said they reworked the Gamebryo engine almost completely (exactly like bethesda) to the point that they don't even call it "Gamebryo", and actually discarded it, late in development, to code an entirely new engine.

Excuse me, but I don't swallow that.

The wikipedia still states:
Custom Gamebryo Engine, with Emotion FX 2 character animation and SpeedTree providing the scenery

The screenshots look very close to Gamebryo. I didn't read somewhere that Gothic 3 used Gamebryo and then said "it sucks".

Instead I saw the screenshot and I said "Oh my god, this is Gamebryo". Then went searching and got my confirmations.

So, I'm skeptical. And I have solid reasons to be so.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Gamebryo is a graphics engine because it justs renders things. This is also known as Middleware. Oblivion used Gamebryo to render its graphics, and then Bethesda implemented the separated exterior and interior junk.

By your logic, Gothic 3 will be like Civilization IV because it uses Gamebryo.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Spectacle said:
thrust me

Are you conflating 'trust me' with 'fuck me'?

But yes, I agree with you Spectacle, this will take the ESF to an even higher plane of retardation, and that place thoroughly deserves to be obliterated by the little fuckers' console total war.

Direwolf

Arcane
franc kaos said:
Data4 said:

As for the PS3 extra content, this made me laugh. You know it's gonna be offered to Xbox360 and PC as an expansion (or maybe 30 dollar download). Way to screw over all your current fans Beth - well, except for those PC pirates who can be bothered to DL it. Here's hoping the PS3 graphics look better too...

Nah. Even considering how much I like to download free stuff I've never bothered with a single Oblivion mini-expansion. Waste of time even if it is free.

Lumpy

Arcane
Darkflame said:
Who didn't see this one coming? Beth needs to acquire a fanbase of some sort after backstabbing all their older fans. The Xbox fans got shafted the most, haha, they bought their systems solely for what turned out to be a shitty game, then they got shafted with crappy yet expensive DLC, then again with no CS, then they went for months of no updates while Beth was working on porting the game to PS3, and now they are getting abandoned by Beth altogether while PS3 gets the game with new content! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=566675
Another alt?
And why did you insult summer for closing your trolling thread for trolling?

Lumpy

Arcane
At least they're finally adding the Nine Divines faction. But of course, they had to make it all about fighting.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Hah. And the game gets even more consolised. I bet the other platforms (PC/xbox) won't get this new faction for free either. It does seem to be the norm though that when a game is developed for another platform that they put extra content in.
Ah well - I guess that's the final nail in the TES RPG coffin, as if Oblivion didn't bury it quite enough...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Official announcement:
link

ROCKVILLE, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Bethesda Softworks® announced today that its blockbuster role-playing game, The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion™, will be a launch title for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system this November in North America, and next March in Europe when the new console is expected to be released there. In addition, The Elder Scrolls® Travels: Oblivion™ will be released on the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system in the Spring 2007 in North America and Europe.

Both the PLAYSTATION 3 and PSP system titles will be published exclusively in North America by Bethesda Softworks, while in Europe, Ubisoft will serve as co-publisher. Complete details on both games are available in Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine’s (OPM) exclusive cover story (November issue), which hits newsstands Oct. 10. In its article, OPM previews the gameplay, graphics, and new content in Oblivion and concludes: “If any game is worth the price of the PS3, Oblivion is it."

Released in March for Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows, Oblivion has already earned high praises and awards from publications around the world. Official Xbox Magazine (US) gave Oblivion a 9.5 out of 10 and an Editor’s Choice award, calling Oblivion “An Absolute Masterpiece.” G4 TV named it the Best Game of 2006, and PC Gamer (UK) ranked Oblivion #1 on its list of the Top 100 PC games of all time.

Metracritic.com lists Oblivion as the highest rated game of all time on Xbox 360. Oblivion has also been nominated for numerous awards in upcoming events, including the Golden Joystick Awards (five nominations) and The British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards (five nominations).

“We’re very excited to be able to bring a game like Oblivion out for launch for the PLAYSTATION 3,” said Bethesda Softworks president, Vlatko Andonov. “Oblivion’s countless awards and commercial success to date make it clear that PLAYSTATION 3 owners are in for a real treat this November.”

Oblivion features a powerful combination of free-form gameplay, unprecedented graphics, cutting edge AI, character voices by acting legends Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, Terrance Stamp, and Lynda Carter, and an award-winning soundtrack. Gamers can choose to unravel Oblivion’s epic narrative at their own pace or explore the vast world in search of their own unique challenges.

After the mysterious and untimely death of the Emperor, the throne of Tamriel lies empty. With the Empire ready to crumble, the gates of Oblivion open and demons march upon the land - laying waste to everything in their path. To turn the tide of darkness, you must find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel.

Edit: Climax UK is developing the PSP version.
http://www.climaxgroup.com/

Direwolf

Arcane
Dumbasses. They missed at least 5 TM and R in that press release. Somebody gonna get fired.

Solaris

Scholar
Nog Robbin said:
Hah. And the game gets even more consolised. I bet the other platforms (PC/xbox) won't get this new faction for free either. It does seem to be the norm though that when a game is developed for another platform that they put extra content in.
Ah well - I guess that's the final nail in the TES RPG coffin, as if Oblivion didn't bury it quite enough...

The sales figures suggest otherwise. It's been a spectacular success actually.

...but I agree with your sentiments though, the rpg is dead at bethesda.

This is what happens when you pander to console kiddies. Unfortunately they are the bread and butter of the industry nowadays though. :(

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
With the Empire ready to crumble, the gates of Oblivion open and demons march upon the land - laying waste to everything in their path.
By that they mean one single city and some of the surrounding shrubbery of course -_-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom