Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion impressions at Gamers with Jobs

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Drain said:
Any examples of a SP RPG, where ranger fighter is as effective as melee fighter?
Fallout, Arcanum, Gothic, Bloodlines. Never tried playing solo in the IWD games, but considering different types of arrows, it shoud be possible too.

bryce777

Erudite
Drain said:
Any examples of a SP RPG, where ranger fighter is as effective as melee fighter? Should he be? I would rather have a game where different characters are more effective against different opponents(such as ranged characters are more effective against giant caterpillars). But its is always easier to produce a screwed system.

A ranger is much, much more effective than a fighter. Just look at drizzt!

Especially in DnD 2nd ed.

Also, there is more to winning a game than being effective at fighting. If the ranger can avoid fighting some of the harder battles by sneaking or using woodlore, or whatever, then it balances out.

DnD 3.5 has gotten a little out of control because they tried to make really big changes, but in 2nd edition by and large all characters are balanced against each other. A druid may not be as obvious to play as a mage, let alone a fighter, but druids are very strong.

bryce777

Erudite
Solik said:
Vault Dweller said:
What straws? Let's look at mages. The fact that it was hard/impossible to play a pure mage in MW was criticized a lot by people less biased that I am, including Bethesda developers. Why ranged fighters should be treated any differently?
Pure mages are a class composed of a large number of skills (not to mention being one of the three main archetypes). There is no such thing as a pure "ranged fighter." You could pick archery, an armor, armorer, and maybe athletics. That still leaves three skills, each of which would lean you towards either melee, magic, or stealth.

bryce777 said:
What it says to me is that you can't realistically choose one specific archetype to play and be successful in the game.
There's only three archetypes in the entire game system. As I mentioned in another thread, TES games go more for broad multiclassing with few archetypes as opposed to lots of archetypes and little multiclassing.

bryce777 said:
If anyone is grasping at straws it's solik. The lengths people go to defend even the mildest criticisms of this game simply amazes me.
The "lengths?" I mentioned a historical fact and made a single common-sense statement.

You are talking about oblivion, not games in general. What oblivion does means jack shit, except in pointing out what it fails to do....

If anything you are proving more why oblvion sucks in this regard - it almost forces you into a multirole character who does every single thing.

I don't know what common sense statement you are talking about, and am pretty sure I would note it if you made one at some point. It is obvious you are straining mightily hard to defend this game for whatever reason, and your criticism of vd was not only weak, but ironic and hypocritical....

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Rolemaster
The game was so nerdishly perverse. It's great because no other game has a "Beak/pincher attack table" (of course, completely different from the one for horn/tusk attacks) or a "Tiny animal critical strike table" with 80+ descriptive entries.

NeVeRLiFt

Liturgist
Does your character's Charisma even effect dialog in Oblivion, how does a mini game to make the npc like you factor in or even fit into a CRPG?

Also why is there not more mention of how you must make your character and what you must go through? I think this is a bad design flaw, and will get tedious and boring going through the same ole crap just to start and try a new character.

Solik

Scholar
bryce777 said:
You are talking about oblivion
I could have sworn this topic was about Oblivion. Silly me!

bryce777 said:
If anything you are proving more why oblvion sucks in this regard - it almost forces you into a multirole character who does every single thing.
One-third of things, yes. Three-thirds of things, no.

bryce777 said:
It is obvious you are straining mightily hard to defend this game for whatever reason
And this is why you get accused of hivemind behavior. I make a post with two short statements offering a partial rebuttal, and I'm suddenly straining mightily hard to defend a game instead of simply posting my thoughts in a thread someone else created about the game in question like everybody else.

Neverlift said:
Does your character's Charisma even effect dialog in Oblivion
I assume it works like the other TES games -- Personality affects an NPC's initial disposition (and ease of persuading to increase disposition), and disposition affects dialogue.

Neverlift said:
I think this is a bad design flaw, and will get tedious and boring going through the same ole crap just to start and try a new character.
Save just before the final step of character creation. Load that save game to start a new game, and change all your character settings.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Solik said:
Save just before the final step of character creation. Load that save game to start a new game, and change all your character settings.
Are you sure it's possible? Maybe saving is enabled only after you create the character.

bryce777

Erudite
Oh please. I am the least hivish of anyone on the interwebs. You obviously have a them and us perspective or you would not say 'you' in that sense to me. No one has ever accused ME of having a hivemind personality.

As for the rest, since you had no real response I guess I have none in return.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
NeVeRLiFt said:
Does your character's Charisma even effect dialog in Oblivion, how does a mini game to make the npc like you factor in or even fit into a CRPG?
Everyone knows that you don't need to have skills to role-play.

Solik

Scholar
Elwro said:
Are you sure it's possible? Maybe saving is enabled only after you create the character.
Good point. If it's not, and there's no "quickstart" option, then yes, that's a very bad design decision. I didn't even like repeating the initial dungeon in Daggerfall every time I made a new character, and that one had some variety and wasn't a tutorial.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
TES was never about creating new characters anyway, it was about making a virtual dream version of yourself, being able to do everything with that one awesomo character, and pwning everyone with awesomesauce items and spells. Oh, and downloading a house mod so you have somewhere to put your shiny gettings on display. I'm pretty sure the majority of TES fans agree with me. Might need to word it less condescendingly, but they'll echo those sentiments...

...not that there's anything wrong with that!

Proweler

Scholar
Solik said:
Elwro said:
Good point. If it's not, and there's no "quickstart" option, then yes, that's a very bad design decision. I didn't even like repeating the initial dungeon in Daggerfall every time I made a new character, and that one had some variety and wasn't a tutorial.

Safe before you leave the initial dungeon and you can change everything from scratch.

edit:

Saving is possible, check the dev qoutes.

HardCode

Erudite
However, while being able to recover your used arrows from the corpses of your defeated enemies was a nice touch, the use of archery in the game at all seemed a little superfluous. Anytime an enemy detects you, they generally will come charging at you full-speed, leaving you able to fire a shot or two before whipping out your melee weapons and getting to the evisceration. I understand it’s a unrealistic to expect the Battle of Agincourt when it comes to archery, but I just didn’t see much use for archery in the game.

da-da-dum dum dum Another feature bites the dust,
da-da-dum dum dum Another feature bites the dust,
And another one down and another one down
Another feature bites the dust
Hey hey hey heyheyheyheyhey

kris

Arcane
Oarfish said:
RollMaster

Indeed, had some of it automated with a dodgy Pascal program. Still ended up doing paranoia style arbitary rulings rather than crunch stupid ammounts of numbers.

Kind of defeated using the system in the first place, but all those lovely tables appealed to my inner autistic.

Noop, I had the tables in my head. The last years we played the few fights we acutally had went by pretty fast. But I had a already underemphasised fights by then. Although it had quite a few flaws it was the best and most realistic system for battles IMO. No speaks danger as when the most feeble orc can get a lucky critical hit killing you. Or crippling you. Altough it should be mentioned that I sometimes cheated for the players so they would not lose their precious characters to often ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom