Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion fighter quests - the IGN preview

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Now, from all the faults that Oblivion may or may not have, some semi powerfull creaures in the basemant is not an issue, really. In every other rpg there are always buildings in middle of the populated areas where some unlikely monsters happen to dwell. It's a cliche that probably will never wear off.
Instead of these minor nuances we should put our ''excitement'' into discusions about the things like combat which seem to have been turned into that of an action game (no more stooopid ''to hit'' variables, yaay) and retarded dialogue system which seems to really be retarded even compared to Morrowind's which was just.. absent.

elander_

Arbiter
Mantiis said:
I have had just about enough of this fallout 2 bashing; all you people suck.

It's only one opinion don't be so fucking sensitive.

elander_

Arbiter
damaged_drone said:
no, i play games to induce constipation. if youre so stupid that every decision you make in an rpg is purely economic then go fuck yourself.

Lumpy said:
Are you fucking stupid? It's an RPG, goddamit, you're supposed to role-play.

Whats role-playing has to do with feeling good for doing a good action in a computer game? Thats fucking retarded.

To me role-playing has allways been an intelectual experience. The emotion comes from the quality of the writing and the characters and how the world reacts to my skills and my char choices. Not because some npc told me i was a good boy. Cryst, what shitholes will come up with next.

Lumpy

Arcane
It wasn't about feeling good, it was about stealing horses. If you're roleplaying a good guy, you shouldn't steal. It's as simple as that.

elander_

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
It wasn't about feeling good, it was about stealing horses. If you're roleplaying a good guy, you shouldn't steal. It's as simple as that.

As long as there are interesting roleplaying oportunities with well writen characters for role-playing a good guy and npc reactions actualy make any sense. It's not enough to throw around lots of "save the kitty from the tree" or "help old ladies cross the street" quests to convince me that a game is automaticaly a classic rpg in quality.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Can anyone tell me why previewers are limited to 4 hours in the game? It's hard to come up with reasons that aren't "to keep them in the dark" which I can't help but think implies "there's badness they'll discover."

kris

Arcane
Lord Chambers said:
Can anyone tell me why previewers are limited to 4 hours in the game? It's hard to come up with reasons that aren't "to keep them in the dark" which I can't help but think implies "there's badness they'll discover."

Guesses:
- Lack of depth
- Radiant AI going haywire over extended play
-

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't like to read (p)reviews that could spoil the game for me, reveal The Twist in The Plot (tm) etc. If Bethesda gave those guys more hours, I doubt the retards would be able to contain themselves and not ruin some of the mystery (if there's anything like that in the game) for the players.
And maybe the plane of Oblivion is shitty, of course. Any new rumors about its randomization? That could be nice if done properly.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Gwendo said:
Hummm... An arrow in the back of the head with double the damage... Didn't kill the damn goblin?
No location damage

I wonder if anyone will buy a horse, in Oblivion.
You'd have to. A stolen horse runs back to the rightful owner when you dismount (another dumb design decision)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Re: retarded

Rune_74 said:
Vault dweller....man make a post that says you hate oblivion already....its seems like your masturbating to all this.

Like I said before we know you hate it...get over it.
Once again, my retarded friend, I'm a newsposter and Oblivion is at the center of attention right now. I'm really sorry I can't force myself to like it just to make you feel better, so all I can say is:

Odds are, something you like very much sucks. Why? Because this is RPG Codex.

Solik

Scholar
Gwendo said:
Hummm... An arrow in the back of the head with double the damage... Didn't kill the damn goblin?
Did you complain in Morrowind when an arrow to the back of the head registered as a miss?

bryce777

Erudite
Lord Chambers said:

That's pretty funny. I didn't even think of it, but I used to do the exact same thing; At the first stage in prototypes I would demo software on my own with no variation, then around the alpha stage I would take people into a room and let them play with it for a few hours, then furiously work on any problems that came up and have them fixed before they came back the next week.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Elwro said:
Perhaps the lion-in-the-basement part is a wink to old Daggerfall fans out there. I vaguely remember that there was a Fighters' Guild quest in which I had to kill a grizzly bear that took the 2nd floor of someone's house as his residence.

They were randomized, it was always a different house and different animal. It's also one of the reasons why I dislike Daggerfall.

THERES A <ANIMAL> IN <RANDOM NPC>'S HOUSE, GO KILL IT!

AFter doing about 20 randomly generated and boring quests, the leader asks you for a transport to another town, where you'll always be attacked apon entering until you hide in a house and they despawn.

Then you repeat it again.

bryce777

Erudite
Well, the ultimate rat quest will always be from wizardry 6. If you can give it such a grandiose term.

They had the same lion in a basement gag in daggerfall. It is ok for a standard simple quest, I guess, but I would hope they'd improve a little more. Maybe with some fighter's guild jocks fooling around with invisibility potions.

Better yet, if you saw people with tigers in cages roaming around putting them in basements late on throughout the game...now that would be hilarious.

LlamaGod

Cipher
It's not a 'gag', it's Bethesdas 'ground breaking game design' they do in every game.

Section8

Cipher
I've been thinking on it, and I think it's really goofy to be riffing on such obvious cliches. There's no fucking point to "satire" if it's so bloody obvious.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Lord Chambers said:

Certainly. They tourd three major US cities with the game, invited the previewers to hotels and allowed them to play the game for 4 hours on Xbox and PC (sums up to 8 hours). They were free to do whatever they wanted to do except going into Oblivion gates.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Gwendo said:
No location damage

I wonder if anyone will buy a horse, in Oblivion.
You'd have to. A stolen horse runs back to the rightful owner when you dismount (another dumb design decision)

Elaborate, please. Actually, I think this is a pretty clever design decision.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Does this mean that you can only keep a stolen mount if you never engage in combat or enter any city?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Rendelius said:
Vault Dweller said:

Well, considering how easy it is to steal a horse (your enemies dismount before a fight), I see that whole "running back" thing as a forced penalty to give the buying option some advantages. However, giving one option an advantage simply by nerfing another option strikes me as lame, especially considering that this newly found advantage doesn't make much sense logically.

I'd prefer if there were other penalties for stealing and advantages for buying, ranging from guards' reaction to the horse's reaction who may kick you off, thus discouraging you from jumping on every horse you see and making it a more thoughful affair.

A horse you would manage to steal should be yours though. Such horse should be recognized by the former owner or his associates (just like stolen items are recognized by guards), and such moments alone should be the biggest problems in a horsethief's life.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brilliant design decision, Everyone has heard of Homing horses, and there has never once been such a thing as a horse thief.

jeansberg

Liturgist
HanoverF said:
Brilliant design decision, Everyone has heard of Homing horses, and there has never once been such a thing as a horse thief.

You mean a successful horse thief. :lol:

dongle

Scholar
Necropennis said:
That compass thing is crap. They should teleport you beside the quest npc.
You can do that too! Every quest goal is highlighted on your fast-travel map. Get quest, click, go.

Gwendo said:
I thought we could only fast travel to already visited places...
In the E3 demo the Tadster fast-travels to Kvetch after only having a conversation about it.

Rendelius

Liturgist
dongle said:
Necropennis said:
That compass thing is crap. They should teleport you beside the quest npc.
You can do that too! Every quest goal is highlighted on your fast-travel map. Get quest, click, go.

Gwendo said:
I thought we could only fast travel to already visited places...
In the E3 demo the Tadster fast-travels to Kvetch after only having a conversation about it.

Your first statement is wrong. Fast travel is only possible to visited places with the exception of some major cities, which will be available for fast travel from the beginning.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Rendelius said:
Vault Dweller said:

Well, considering how easy it is to steal a horse (your enemies dismount before a fight), I see that whole "running back" thing as a forced penalty to give the buying option some advantages. However, giving one option an advantage simply by nerfing another option strikes me as lame, especially considering that this newly found advantage doesn't make much sense logically.

I'd prefer if there were other penalties for stealing and advantages for buying, ranging from guards' reaction to the horse's reaction who may kick you off, thus discouraging you from jumping on every horse you see and making it a more thoughful affair.

A horse you would manage to steal should be yours though. Such horse should be recognized by the former owner or his associates (just like stolen items are recognized by guards), and such moments alone should be the biggest problems in a horsethief's life.

Some things in your equation don't fit, imho. Those changes would bring that "arrest on sight when you have stolen goods" to us, something that the devs avoided (for the better, I think). In Oblivion, you only get arrested on sight when your bounty is high enough.

I, too, would like the stolen horse to react with kicking and being not willing to let you ride, but "running away when you dismount" falls into the same category for me.

I don't know how easy it is to steal a horse. As far as I know, only higher ranking guards will ride horses, and I don't think they will be easy to defeat. So your best chance is to steal a horse from a stable. And a horse running back to the stable - well, that's something that isn't unheard of in real life :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom