Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion Appeals to The Deaf!

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Tony Jay has one of the best voices I've ever heard in any form of media. I liked his work so much that I even felt sad when he passed away last year, he's the only person in the game industry to ever make me feel sad. Great voice and talent! :salute:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Admiral jimbob said:
Sean Bean was crap. All his lines were delivered in a terrible, bored, utterly flat monotone that just screamed "paycheck plz i knead hookurs".

After hours of listening to the same crap NPCs which all have the same crap voiceactors, it was quite refreshing to hear a voice that was at least halfways talented. Maybe that's why I remember to like his voice.

psycojester

Arbiter
I think Wonder Woman did the worst job. Every time a female orc spoke it was like a nail studded blackboard being jammed into my colon

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Sean Bean was crap. All his lines were delivered in a terrible, bored, utterly flat monotone that just screamed "paycheck plz i knead hookurs".

Indeed, he's much better in the morrisons advertisements....

cutterjohn

Cipher
Admiral jimbob said:
That's probably because even though Bethesda wasted most of their "acting" budget on Stewart and Bean, the amount was so low that it was a phone in one-shot, no re-takes sort of job. Then adding in the puacity of generic voice "actors" to the myriad of dysfunctional design decisions and Oblivious is what you end up with...

Fez

Erudite
They'd have been better off getting many good professional voice actors than blowing the budget on name dropping.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fez said:
They'd have been better off getting many good professional voice actors than blowing the budget on name dropping.

No wai! "We have Captain Picard, Boromir and Wonder Woman as voice actors!!!" sells a lot more copies than "We have very talented voice actors who can deliver a very deep athmosphere!"

Solomon Doone

Novice
Relayer71 said:
I hate bashing reviewers, but I just couldn't help it.

This reviewer from GEEK.COM must be deaf or really fucking stupid when referring to NPC conversations in Oblivion:

"The voice acting is unmatched. Not only are there venerable actors such as Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean, but there are also hundreds to possibly thousands of extras. There may be some overlaps in terms of what they'll talk about with you, but isn't that also a reflection on real life? More surprising, perhaps, is that there are third-party conversations. The townsfolk will chat with one another about places to find the best deals as well as other gossip."

Unmatched voice acting?
Hundreds to possibly thousands of extras???

Amazing.

"Tens and possibly even in the low twenties" would have been a bit closer to the mark.

Can't deny that some of the voice acting is exceptional though.

Relayer71

Liturgist
I probably wouldn't have minded the limited amount of voices if they kept them limited to 1 voice per NPC type instead of having 5 different voices dependant on responses.

This was VERY lame, lazy work. They can't blame this on budget or schedule restraints, lower profile games have done more with less.

I'm currently playing KOTOR 2 and am amazed with how much spoken dialogue there is. Sure, the # of characters/NPCs is smaller than in Oblivion but still there's a lot of dialogue (and choices) and it was made in a lot less time than Oblivion.

What baffles me the most is, what the fuck was Bethesda thinking????
A beggar that sounds elderly one second, regal the next, then surly, then...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom