Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2: What is it like now?

Lurkar

Scholar
Soulforged said:
Lurkar said:
No, it wasn't. The final battle in the OC was fucking horrible. It was just an exercise in turning different party members useless. "Aw fuck, all my melee can't do shit." "Shit, now my shitty sorcerer with no melee skills has to run around whacking shit with his sword." "OH GOD HIS POWER LEVEL IS STILL RISING."
It wasn't entertaining or it wasn't dynamic? The first is subjective, the second isn't. If you're arguing it wasn't dynamic it's patently untrue, if the case is relative to the expansion then one can argue that it was "more dynamic" than said expansion end battle. I'm generally not entertained by this kind of engine, they lack interactivity so its only an affair of sit and watch most of the time, at least this battle had me switching tactics. Notice however that I didn't find it absolutly entertaining it was just more so than its homonym.

I don't think I'd really say it's more dynamic, it just relies more heavily on it's gimmick. If anything, it's less dynamic because suddenly the only character that can do jack shit is you, which sounds cinematic and epic in theory, but falls apart when you're really just staring at your non-melee capable sorcerer whacking at things with a weapon while the rest of your party gets stepped on.

And the area leading UP to the final battle in the OC was horrendous. It was the fucking orc caves all over again, only replace "orc" with "shit that's immune to half your stuff BUT STILL gets mowed over just as easily."
Sorry I don't remember it, could be.

"Maze" of undead in which you can't rest or be attacked by...well, more undead. It's not particularly difficult, just really annoying as, again, they're all undead.

As for big end game fights, unfortunately, that's where a lot of RPGs tend to fall apart. The problem with confronting the BBEG in a cRPG is that the DM isn't there to give it flavor that meshes with your characters and playing styles up to that point, and you really can't expect the developers to include ten thousand different ways the battle can start. It's not something you can pin on any one game, it's more of a flaw in the entire system, and it's one you kinda have to get used to.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
active DM OC will result in players attempting to escape from Neverwinter trial and break away the rail roads. Like....'Yeah I'll go to Luskan and kill all of them' or 'Fuck Owl's Well, can we just sneak into the Blackwell district or something?'

Lurkar

Scholar
RK47 said:
active DM OC will result in players attempting to escape from Neverwinter trial and break away the rail roads. Like....'Yeah I'll go to Luskan and kill all of them' or 'Fuck Owl's Well, can we just sneak into the Blackwell district or something?'

While the Luskan one obviously wouldn't work ("Hahah, ok, the entire nation of wizard kings and pirates brutally kills you"), skipping Old Owl Well is only proof that an active DM would help

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
That and so many shit that you can turn 180 degrees at like helping that thieves guild. I kept waiting for an opportunity to backstab that drooly voice. Something about his voice irks me. I am referring to the NWN Militia vs Thieves Quest. I took the Thief quest and hated the guy but never had an option to turn around after making that choice.

Active DM that lets me backstab or turn things around would have helped more. Or have a varying degree of success. You CANNOT lose Owl's Well in the OC. But with DM, you might just lose it but still proceed with the Main Quest instead of being told 'Hey man I haven't recieved any news from the Dorf Commander there, so you can't go to Blackwell NYAH NYAH!'

Soulforged

Scholar
Locue said:
Seriously, there's next to no difference between OC final fight and MOTB final fight. Both are long and irritating and you get cutscenes in the middle telling you that the enemy is getting stronger and stronger. Then you beat enemy. Cue credits. Did I miss something? Because that's the only thing I can think of as "cinematic" and "dynamic" and all that. And you're wrong about using them words, btw.

Spoiler ahead...

I'll have to narrow this down to clarify what I meant by "final battle", by that I mean the very end when you're actually fighting against the soul of the Betrayer (or whatever nonsense was that), alone in a seemingly endless wasteland when you kill him you actually make him breed little Betrayers with different names representing certain vices. Then you've to kill them all through a long and dull process that doesn't change during the whole affair. The silliness of it all was just too much for me to bear...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Soulforged said:
I'll have to narrow this down to clarify what I meant by "final battle", by that I mean the very end when you're actually fighting against the soul of the Betrayer (or whatever nonsense was that), alone in a seemingly endless wasteland when you kill him you actually make him breed little Betrayers with different names representing certain vices. Then you've to kill them all through a long and dull process that doesn't change during the whole affair. The silliness of it all was just too much for me to bear...
Wheras in the OC, you had to go around destroying the mighty pillars, the source of evil dude energy! Same thing? I think it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom