Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2- Putting my foot in it.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The resurrection spells are useful for mid-battle resurrections.

Nael

Arcane
Elhoim said:
The resurrection spells are useful for mid-battle resurrections.

Yeah, but wasting a spell slot for that? Are the battles really that epic? :P

Xi

Arcane

Zomg

Arbiter
However, if your interest has indeed peaked, then you have only a long decline in interest to look forward to.

Xi

Arcane
Zomg said:
However, if your interest has indeed peaked, then you have only a long decline in interest to look forward to.

Alright, alright!!! Fuck. I will use Piqued already.....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The resurrection spells are useful for mid-battle resurrections."

WHAT? You actually fall? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Tool.

Nael: It just means characters who reach 0hp in battle fall. In the OC, they don't actualy die because of the detahs cript they sued. The default according to Obsidian is the same as NWN1 - you die you die.

Sancho Panza

Novice
OK, since there can NEVER be too many "DOES MY VIDEO CARD WORK?" questions lemme add mine.
I fit the specs except for my Geforce 5200 FX, can I run it or am I frakked?

hoochimama

Liturgist
Sancho Panza said:
OK, since there can NEVER be too many "DOES MY VIDEO CARD WORK?" questions lemme add mine.
I fit the specs except for my Geforce 5200 FX, can I run it or am I frakked?

It's got pixel shaders 2.0 so it should run it(even if it requires a small hack) but it will be too slow to be playable.

Nael

Arcane
Has anyone had any problems starting the combat in the tutorial "Harvest Brawl" sequence? I right click on the combatant and all I have available to me are "Friendly options" and when I try and talk to her she just goes "Mmmhmmm?" with no dialogue window. I'm stuck in the goddamn ring with nothing available to me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It worked for me; but more than a few have on the BIO baords. Check out the spoilers section. Some devs are giving out pointers.

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
It worked for me; but more than a few have on the BIO baords. Check out the spoilers section. Some devs are giving out pointers.
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of a tutorial if you need pointers and spoilers to get through it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Because. it's. a. possible. bug. moron.

There is no way someone coulld get stuck otherwise in the tutotiral. I haven't tried, but you could liekly even FAIL the tut's main objective and still complete.

Fuck. The Codexer are getting even more retarded. Evidence on how G3 love must pollute mind. I better cancel my payment on my future purchase of that game.

L0LLERZ!

Nael

Arcane
I figured out the problem anyway. I hadn't given my party members their clubs. I'm a monk, so I didn't really need one and didn't think about it. Once you equip them, you get a journal update which I assume kicks the script into gear. A nasty oversight if you ask me, but oh well. It's especially nasty though if you get into the ring without the clubs whatsoever because you can't get back out to the barrel that contains the clubs. I mentioned it on their forums though, so hopefully they patch it eventually. I hope the whole game isn't this finicky, lol

suibhne

Erudite
Xi said:
suibhne said:
Xi said:
my interest is peaked atm.

I'm not putting my INTERNET GRAMAR NAZI OMGLOLOLOL hat on just to target you, but that's one of my all-time pet peeves. The word is "piqued", not "peaked".

:wink:

Peaked:
"The point of greatest development, value, or intensity" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/peaked

Piqued:
"To excite." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Piqued

Gramatically either one is logical. :P

Nope. Sorry.

You used "peaked" as an adjective. "Peaked" as an adjective only means "having a peak" (unless you pronounce it "pee-kid", in which case it means "pale"). If you'd said "My interest peaked when I read that" sure, that would be correct - but saying "My interest is peaked," as you did, means that your "interest" has a peak, sorta like a cute pointy little hat. :D

Also, my copy of NWN2 should be here on Friday. :idea:

Deacdo

Liturgist
Voss said:
You can directly control them (either click on their portrait or use F2-F4). And there is a sub-menu on in their character windows where you can specify lots of options. I just went with the default, and have yet to really experiment with them. I do take control of the rogue to deal with traps and locks. My PC is also control heavy (at least the way I want to play it) so I haven't been keeping a tight reign on the NPCs, and only pausing intermittently.
But you can't drag your mouse and select multiple characters to issue orders? Seems like they are trying to make rather awkward, to me.

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
Because. it's. a. possible. bug. moron.

There is no way someone coulld get stuck otherwise in the tutotiral. I haven't tried, but you could liekly even FAIL the tut's main objective and still complete.

Fuck. The Codexer are getting even more retarded. Evidence on how G3 love must pollute mind. I better cancel my payment on my future purchase of that game.

L0LLERZ!
I have never played a Gothic game.

So, even though you constantly harped on ToEE's bugs, NWN2 gets a FREE RIDE from you, eh?

Inziladun

Magister
Deacdo said:
But you can't drag your mouse and select multiple characters to issue orders? Seems like they are trying to make rather awkward, to me.

No, The game is hardly Isometric. It can theoritically be played in Isometric mode, but i've found 3rd person view seems to be better for viewing. I just don't see how click-and-drag could work in this game.

And yes, the controls are pretty akward. But i'm starting to warm up to 'em after a couple hours of play.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"NWN2 gets a FREE RIDE from you, eh?"

I've been hit by 1 minor bug thus far. TOEE twanked me over the head with dozens, and they were doozies...

Voss

Erudite
Deacdo said:
Voss said:
You can directly control them (either click on their portrait or use F2-F4). And there is a sub-menu on in their character windows where you can specify lots of options. I just went with the default, and have yet to really experiment with them. I do take control of the rogue to deal with traps and locks. My PC is also control heavy (at least the way I want to play it) so I haven't been keeping a tight reign on the NPCs, and only pausing intermittently.

Drag and select, no.
Right click, select issue command and pick one? Yes.

Well, I'm about 10 hours in, now. I finished up the quests at the first major way station and moved on. Picked up a third NPC. Its a little light (there are about 10 npcs (or groups of NPCs) I've been able to interact with in town, mostly 2 merchants and several quest givers. A other folks wandering around with one line generic responses.

Some highlights from my interactions in town and amongst my party. (Keep in mind I'm playing a LE warlock. I tried to play that up a bit)

Juggling the party members interests is proving interesting. Dealing with a bunch of drunk sailors... harshly... made the fighter fairly pleased with me. The druid (the latest NPC) was unamused.
The rogue called me on helping some idiots find their children. Until I pointed out the cash potential of a reward.

One downside. The NPCs know far too much. All three know I've been attacked by the 'real enemies', though only two have seen it. All three know about the item I'm carrying, though only one even has a chance to know about it (and that seems unlikely). All three know that a certain race (by name) is behind the attacks, even though as far as I know, none of them but me have even seen a member of that race involved in any of the attacks, and it was made clear that my character didn't recognize the race. Sloppy writing.

Dealing with the village elder was a touch frustrating as he was trying to get me to agree to help him. However, while I'm saddled with solving the problem, I was able to work through the dialogue in a way that made it clear I was serving my own interests in getting out of his pissant town. The roads are blocked and ships are being sunk. Its a little contrived, but dealing with problems is a part of the genre- at least I was able to establish I was doing it for my own reasons.

I was easily able to brush off some wench who wanted me to find her husband. I didn't care and she didn't seem to be in a position to give me anything. I may run into her husband later, but we'll see what I can do to him.

I managed to negotiate a reward for helping out another guy with a problem without getting an evil alignment slide. I felt better about it.

One merchant is selling serious phat loot (it begins) I'd be irritated, but PnP D&D is so item based at this point that its hard to complain about it in a D&D based cRPG.

On the major upside, I set myself on what looks like a path to solve the major problem in the region diplomatically. Basically I'm helping out an agent of the force harassing the town in exchange for a meeting with his chief. While the initial help will involve combat, it looks like I can at least deal with the major problem without slaughtering everyone in sight. I'm fairly pleased by this. In fact, the hostile force's agent has temporarily joined my party. (I'm being vague with terms here, mostly to avoid spoilers). With any luck, I'll be able to establish some order in the region while benefiting my own goals.

I'll let you know how the diplomatic efforts turn out.
Next up, a serious dungeon crawl.

Oh. Since the subject of bugs has come up. I haven't encountered many: a few spelling mistakes, and a graphical glitch that pops up from time to time (in which the local flora seems to move with my character briefly). But 0 crashes, no game stoppers and no gameplay issues. And thats about 10 hours in.
And I'm still using the 1.00 version (pre-patch, since last time I checked it was still unavailable due to issues).

Texas Red

Whiner
Im reading the official forums and it seems that many people find the camera control to be awful. Can you please comment on this?

The camera of NWN 1 was perfect. Hell knows why people keep changing something that works all the time.

elander_

Arbiter
One small insight on ToEE, the game has praticaly no bugs with the fan made patch. Companions when their hp goes bellow 0 they get inconscient and fall. They only get killed when the attack is so strong they are teared to pieces. Other details, they bleed -1 health points until it gets to -10 and then its the end for them unless a cure lesser wounds stops the blood loss. It also possible that evil npcs will attack fallen companions and kill them, so trying to run away leaving the mage fallen on the floor expecting that nobody will touch him is not an option.

So how NWN2 combat compares to this?

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Elhoim said:
For closer NWN1 experience:

edit your nwnplayer.ini

change "CameraFollowAlways=0" to "CameraFollowAlways=1"
So that makes it like the driving camera?

BTW: My copy of NWN2 won't arrive until Monday. :(

Voss

Erudite
Camera- there are several camera options, I haven't had much of a problem with whichever one I'm using (top-down, I think). Interiors are a bit of a pain, as architecture gets in the way at times (though I'm learning how to deal with that).
As far as nwn1- I hated the camera shit in the original. I like this better.

elander_ I'm familiar with the fan made patch. There are still bugs.
In this, at 0 hps, characters go unconscious. If the party wipes, its over. If the party doesn't wipe, after a few seconds, they get back up at 1 hp, then you have to heal them. They're ignored once their down, because as far as the game is concerned, nothing more can be done to them.

Although, travel on the world map also heals hps and temporary conditions.

kris

Arcane
I would have like a third hand to take care of the camera. One for the mouse, one for the camera and a third for the other buttons on the keyboard. :)

Tutorial impressions, fairly positive. Nice way to put in tutorial features as gameevents. I like that you can choose Gods and hope I will see things within the game based on that choice. Overall, slick character creation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom