Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 OC impressions

Monocause

Arcane
Shannow said:
Monocause, sure it was "Call lightning" that damaged your party? Because
All enemies within the area of effect take 1d6 points of electrical damage per caster level, to a maximum of 10d6.
it only hits enemies...

Hm, gotta check once more. I'm positive that I was hurt by call lightning more than once, but that was before installing expansions and patching the game to 1.22. Either it was a bug and was fixed, or the description is wrong and the spell hurts anyone in the AOE with hardcore difficulty enabled.

Crichton

Prophet
Hm, gotta check once more. I'm positive that I was hurt by call lightning more than once, but that was before installing expansions and patching the game to 1.22. Either it was a bug and was fixed, or the description is wrong and the spell hurts anyone in the AOE with hardcore difficulty enabled.

Call lightning doesn't hurt friendlies and never has, you probably just cast call lightning around the same time that a hostile did, though the AI didn't use it much before SoZ/1.21.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
To make the first half of the game much more enjoyable, definitely choose the thief path in Neverwinter to get to Blacklake. There's even interesting consequences of this in the latter game.

Also, Crossroads Keep is very enjoyable, especially to experience this in an RPG. Its a fine bit of management/sim mixed into the overall RPG and story aspects eemlessly. Being able to recruit NPCs encountered previously from the gameworld works perfectly. I have not seen this in other CRPGS before and wish other studios like Iron Tower would do their version of "Crossroads Keep" in one of thjier games.

Monocause

Arcane
Crichton said:

Call lightning doesn't hurt friendlies and never has, you probably just cast call lightning around the same time that a hostile did, though the AI didn't use it much before SoZ/1.21.

Maybe, or I've mistaken call lightning with a lightning bolt cast by an enemy. I'll *still* check it though.

dragonfk

Erudite
buccaroobonzai said:
Also, Crossroads Keep is very enjoyable, especially to experience this in an RPG. Its a fine bit of management/sim mixed into the overall RPG and story aspects eemlessly. Being able to recruit NPCs encountered previously from the gameworld works perfectly. I have not seen this in other CRPGS before and wish other studios like Iron Tower would do their version of "Crossroads Keep" in one of thjier games.

Baldurs Gate 2, though not to this degree.

GMonkey

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
In NWN, you did not have to bear bad voicing.

I generally agree with much of what has been said in this thread, however, the above bit is just laughably wrong. Aribeth's voice alone made me dread initiating conversation with her.

Deleted Member 10432

GMonkey said:
Wyrmlord said:
In NWN, you did not have to bear bad voicing.

I generally agree with much of what has been said in this thread, however, the above bit is just laughably wrong. Aribeth's voice alone made me dread initiating conversation with her.
It's not just the voice- her whole dialogue (as with most in NWN1) is unbearably shitty. Verily, Couldst thou passeth unto me ann buckette for mine sycke? Forsooth.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Although it's a shameless page to page copy of BG 2 and much more reminiscent of it than NWN 1 is, it's still superior to NWN 1. But that isn't saying much anyway. Overall I'd rate it as good as Icewind Dale 1.

Ammar

Scholar
The Feral Kid said:
Although it's a shameless page to page copy of BG 2 and much more reminiscent of it than NWN 1 is, it's still superior to NWN 1

Huh? In what way?

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Ammar said:
The Feral Kid said:
Although it's a shameless page to page copy of BG 2 and much more reminiscent of it than NWN 1 is, it's still superior to NWN 1

Huh? In what way?

Take the party system. It's far more similar to BG 2 than that of NWN1. Also it directly ripped things out of BG like having your own keep, upgrading it and acting as an arbiter in various situations . There are certain quests and how they're solved, places/levels, NPCs echoing the BG games. Look at the whole Castle Never act or various puzzles found throughout in similar fashion to BG 2.

Talonfire

Scholar
The Feral Kid said:
Ammar said:
The Feral Kid said:

Huh? In what way?

Take the party system. It's far more similar to BG 2 than that of NWN1. Also it directly ripped things out of BG like having your own keep, upgrading it and acting as an arbiter in various situations . There are certain quests and how they're solved, places/levels, NPCs echoing the BG games. Look at the whole Castle Never act or various puzzles found throughout in similar fashion to BG 2.

Yes, because Baldur's Gate was the first game to ever have the particular party system it does. Also Baldur's Gate is the first game to ever have dungeons with puzzles, and dialogue trees. Your argument sir, is more impenetrable than Fort Knox in its prime.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Talonfire said:
The Feral Kid said:
Ammar said:
The Feral Kid said:

Huh? In what way?

Yes, because Baldur's Gate was the first game to ever have the particular party system it does. Also Baldur's Gate is the first game to ever have dungeons with puzzles, and dialogue trees. Your argument sir, is more impenetrable than Fort Knox in its prime.

Really? What other games before had the exact same party system, before it was introduced and popularized in BG ? And you think all those puzzles had nothing to do with being a prominent feature in BG 2 too. Another coincidence of course. They took it from those "other games" of yours. But no mention about the ripped Keep gimmickry or the copying of levels and locations like Castle Never.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The stirring beauty of Baldur's Gate!

06.jpg

07.jpg

10.jpg

Truly a pinnacle of game design!

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Lol. Pretty much 90 percent of the rpgs you've played derived from this engine. You're just too young and dumb and therefore ungrateful.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
Really? What other games before had the exact same party system, before it was introduced and popularized in BG ? And you think all those puzzles had nothing to do with being a prominent feature in BG 2 too. Another coincidence of course. They took it from those "other games" of yours. But no mention about the ripped Keep gimmickry or the copying of levels and locations like Castle Never.
Oh you mean, one character and five recruitables?

Have you heard of this game called Wasteland? Yeah, it was made in 1987, and you could have a party of seven people, and you could fill six of those slots with recruitables.

And of course dialogue trees were totally not there before BG. Nope, Fallout and others didn't have it, huh?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Feral Kid said:
Lol. Pretty much 90 percent of the rpgs you've played derived from this engine. You're just too young and dumb and therefore ungrateful.
I'm even more young and ungrateful. Oh yes, I just received a request to search for a missing "Shank" and his murderous and very dead friend in the city of Baldur's Gate. Turns out he owes some people money. I wonder how many people remember who that is.

Also I just deleted this game, ungrateful whelp that I am. r00fles?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Seriously, I don't get these BG fanboys.

I don't get their claims about how it ressurected or recreated the genre.

BG is just 10 years old. RPGs have been there for 30 years. There is a 20 years of RPG history before BG.

BG is nothing more than a footnote in this line of gaming.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Wyrmlord said:
Oh you mean, one character and five recruitables?

Have you heard of this game called Wasteland? Yeah, it was made in 1987, and you could have a party of seven people, and you could fill six of those slots with recruitables.

And of course dialogue trees were totally not there before BG. Nope, Fallout and others didn't have it, huh?

I see. So they've changed the NWN 1 party system so that NWN 2 resembles that of BG 2 because it reminded them of the one in Wasteland. Yeah right.

And what dialog system. I only talked about the numerous and rather tedious puzzles found throughout BG 2 and which Obsidian thought as another "cool" feature to rip. Together with owning a Keep defending it from invasion, acting as an arbiter over disputes etc.

Yeah I know. You'll bring up a game from the seventies which had puzzles of talking to statues. I just keep wondering what took them so long

Listen it's simple. Obsidian was desperate to make a hit at the time. What easier than to follow the formula of the most successful rpg in recent times which some of its members also helped develop.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
OK, actually, I am the one in the wrong here.

Yes, you are right about the point that Obsidian has based its early success on riding on the coattails of Bioware games.

My mistake was to quickly interpret this in terms of a broader angle, so I was talking from the wrong context.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sometimes, I'm particularly happy that I played both BGs and the first NWN in Polish. At least I was spared the agony of the 'FORSOOTH!' dialogue.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Black said:
zerotol said:
The problem with the OC is that the beginning is really awefull. So most people dont play on to the better parts
Sounds like BG II.
But after you get out of the dungeon you may think that there is some role-playing to be had, instead of combat combat combat.
Well, guess what...

Did you actually play any older roleplaying game? What the deuce, man? Baldur's Gate II has exactly as much, if not more, Roleplaying than Lands of Lore or Eye of the Beholder. Believe it or not, RPGs used to be about fun combat, exploration, challenge, mapping, and a tiny bit of story; also dungeons and monsters.

What I am trying to say is that BG II is just as much a roleplaying game than Eye of the Beholder, with worse combat, but more content. I don't like it too much, but it's not a bad game, no matter how you try to spin it, unless you just hate top-down pseudo-realtime combat, which I would understand. If you think it isn't roleplaying you need to check your premises and remind yourself that roleplaying used to mean picking a few classes, making a party, and raping dungeons and monsters alike (hence the appeal to me). And nobody is saying it wouldn't have been better with dialogue skills and more choices in quests, and consequences and yadda yadda.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah I liked the party banter and hostile intents between two differing views between party members. Seeing Khalid & Jaheira going at it against Montaron & Xzar was an interesting first time experience.

Talonfire

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
Seriously, I don't get these BG fanboys.

I don't get their claims about how it ressurected or recreated the genre.

BG is just 10 years old. RPGs have been there for 30 years. There is a 20 years of RPG history before BG.

BG is nothing more than a footnote in this line of gaming.

Baldur's Gate for all its faults was a solid game, inferior to Fallout 2 in all respects which came out the same year, but I think it deserves a margin of respect. At least the gameplay required you to use your head, something Bioware dropped after Baldur's Gate II.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"inferior to Fallout 2 in all respects"

Moron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom