Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 barbarian build

Ivy Mike

Scholar
So I went out and bought NWN2 and MoTB the other day. Since I have a soft spot for barbarians (too much Howard and Leiber) I'm considering if a barbarian is a viable option to get the most out of the game and what a good build would be. As for the former I'm mostly worried about missing out on choices in MoTB, put that can be tolerated since I'll just replay it with another character. For the latter I know we have some resident D&D 3.5 experts, so by all means give me some tips on a good barbarian build. Straight, multi-class etc are all go as are good feats to go after.

JrK

Prophet
Ehm, frenzied berserker? Using those power attack feats with that class makes you do damage in the 50 range without critical hits...

roshan

Arcane
Barbarians kind of suck. Being a barbarian is useless at high levels - the extra HP isnt worth it, rage doesnt stack with some item abilities and the bonuses recieved arent useful, and so on.

A better idea is to play a fighter and then take levels of frenzied beserker, using improved power attack with a two handed weapon and with very high strength. Choose scythe or falchion and add 7 levels of weapon master for ultimate damage potential.

You could take one level of barbarian at the very end (If you make FB10/WM7/FTR12) for increased movement speed though. Or you could take the level at the beginning, if you really want to play as a barbarian.

Let me know if you like the sound of this build, and I will tell you what feats are good or important to take.

Norfleet

It would probably be best to take your Barbarian level first. Barbarians receive more skillpoints than fighters, and the first level class choice grants 4x as many. Outside what you take as the very first level, it doesn't matter. It's sort of like how a character that begins as first level rogue has a noticeable edge over a character that takes some other class first, because first level is sensitive. You should always take your highest skillpoint base class as first level.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
roshan said:
Let me know if you like the sound of this build, and I will tell you what feats are good or important to take.
I was considering the fighter/FB approach, so I do like the sound of your recommendation. From my limited play time with NWN 2 as a straight barbarian I did find that the faster movement gave me some edge when it come to ranged based enemies (i e magic users and archers), as the RTwP system allows for a faster character to close in on a ranged based enemy relatively quickly. This might not be as important later on though.

I am kind of partial to the concept of playing a barbarian so I'm reluctant to throw out the whole class, which makes me think that picking one level of barbarian and go from there is a good idea, as Norfleet said. So please show me how a good blueprint for progressing would look like.

EDIT: Scratch that, being a barbarian just for the sake of it seems kind of unecessary. Show me the FB/WM/FTR approach. Or both I you have the time/inclination.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Note that if you take the able learner feat, and 1 (one) level in a class that has a skill as a class skill, at subsequent level-ups the skill would be treated as a class skill for purposes of skill point cost and max ranks.

In other words, just take the able learner feat, and a level of, say, bard (for the lvl1 inspiration), and you have all the skills you want as long as you have enough skillpoints. You won't miss anything in MOTB. Picking human helps though. Then when you already have a bard levels, why not take the Red dragon disciple class? +5 or more levels of frenzied bezerker. Tons of str, incredible power attack with 2 handed weapons.

Your other levels can be barbarian if you like, the combat is easy enough you can afford a sub-optimal choice.

EDIT: blueprint:
1 bard (min 3 in perform) (luck of heroes, able learner)
2-5 4 levels of barbarian (have 8 lore!)
6-15 10 levels of Red dragon disciple, pick FB prerequisite feats
15+ 5 or 10 levels of Frenzied bezerker, the rest barbarian.

With human and 14 int, you can have all the important convo skills (bluff, diplo, intimidate, lore, spellcraft) at max ranks, and be a very powerful fighting machine (28+str at level 18).

Crichton

Prophet
rage doesnt stack with some item abilities

This is misleading, rage always stacks with item bonuses, but the total bonus to any attribute is capped at +12, so if you craft the super stuff in MotB, you won't get the full bonus.

Barbarians are very mean and they fare better at higher levels than fighters or rangers because their rage improves, but not having the diplomacy skill is kind of a drag for the OC and MotB.

If you'll be playing the same character into MotB, I'd recommend using a shield dwarf with an 18 starting con and putting four of your level-up stat bonuses into con to get epic damage reduction later (3 feats for a total of 9/- damage reduction that stacks with your barbarian damage reduction for a total of 17/- at 30).

Nedrah

Erudite
Sorry, no derailing attempt, just quick question:

I've decided to try and get into the NWN2 OC again. However, I would kind of like to blast through it, because my real interest lies with motb. So, I hear fighter1/mage9/eldritch knight 10 is supposed to be a pretty decent build. However, is it also fun to play?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Well, if you want to blast thorugh the game, a fighter-type is much easier. Mages are fragile at lower levels, and your character is often the one being beaten on (aoe spells drawing aggro + party leader), so you might die a lot. You also have to manage your spells and whatnot.

Try the build outlined in my previous post, replacing barbarian with fighter, so 1bard/4+fighter/10RedDragonDisciple/5+FrenziedBezerker. You slaughter everything, and you get all dialogue skills.

Nedrah

Erudite
sqeecoo said:
Well, if you want to blast thorugh the game, a fighter-type is much easier. Mages are fragile at lower levels, and your character is often the one being beaten on (aoe spells drawing aggro + party leader), so you might die a lot. You also have to manage your spells and whatnot.

Try the build outlined in my previous post, replacing barbarian with fighter, so 1bard/4+fighter/10RedDragonDisciple/5+FrenziedBezerker. You slaughter everything, and you get all dialogue skills.

Well, I kind of want to carry him over to motb, if that's possible (?)

So, I went with a level in fighter and then switched to wizzard. Spell management is actually one of the aspects I enjoy, so that should be ok. A guy holding his greatsword hurling spells at people is so ridicolous it's kind of fun again :) I did that char before reading your post, obviously. Although I'm only in the swamp area, I would already be kind of unhappy about doing the starting part of the game again - seriously hope things will get a little more interesting. And I'll have to play around with performance a bit, yet :(

Deleted member 7219

The NWN2 OC is very fun to play, in answer to your second question. But it isn't a patch on MotB.

Nedrah

Erudite
Matt7895 said:
The NWN2 OC is very fun to play, in answer to your second question. But it isn't a patch on MotB.

Thanks, I was referring to the char though. I think some spell management is fine, but the game is too... uhm.. chaotic, quirky for me to want to do constant micromanaging.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Out with the wizards, back to the barbarians. I'm not that into magic users for some reason, and I take it the Red Dragon Disciple is some variant of magic user?

JrK

Prophet
Nope not at all. It's more of a fighting class really. It gets medium AB progression but +8 strength eventually. Some other statbonuses are there but the +8 strength is the main thing. Taking 10 levels of RDD would "lose" you 4 AB from classlevels(3 from RDD, 1 for required bard/sorc), but gain you +4 AB/damage from strength, easily a worthy investment. When using two-handed weapons, it's basically 6 extra damage and the handy immunities the RDD gives (fire, paralysis, sleep).

Nedrah

Erudite
Well, I did a little more playing.
Guess I'll settle for a tank, actually. The role comes quite naturally to the pc :-/

So, yeah, out with those pesky wizzards.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
roshan said:
Barbarians kind of suck.

Personally, with warrior classes being as obscenely over-powered as they are (particularly considering their main weakness, magic, isn't exploited) it doesn't make much of a difference which one you pick. Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians, Rangers, just give them an heavily enchanted weapon and they'll mince through everything without the slightest amount of input required.

It's even worst in MoTB where you can get +10 weapons with multiple 5d6 elemental damage bonuses one on top of the other. You'll be doing more damage per round then a wizard can do with a single disintegrate. Shameless munchkinism with zero effort.

Baphomet

Scholar
I have a sneaking suspicion that all the builds are viable in NWN2. The trick is to build something that matches your playing style. My Arcane Trickster is coming along nicely, but that is because I am not selecting spells that do damage based on caster level. If you want to rush in to battle and do insane amounts of damage with a melee weapon, by all means, go for a Barbarian.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ivy Mike said:
EDIT: Scratch that, being a barbarian just for the sake of it seems kind of unecessary. Show me the FB/WM/FTR approach. Or both I you have the time/inclination.

Weapon master isn't a good choice because a lot of enemies both in the OC and the EX are immune to critical hits. Plus all those wasted feats just to qualify for it are a bit much.

Dipping two levels into Barbarian isn't a bad idea since you'll get Fast Movement + Uncanny Dodge.

Add three levels of Rogue (you only lose 1 AB at first level and another at fourth so might as well make it three) for Trap Sense, Evasion and a bonus of 1d6 from Sneak Attack (which for a warrior class is nothing to sneer at). If you pick Rogue at level first + Able Learner you'll have access to pretty much every relevant skill in the game.

12 levels of Fighter will grant you access to all the weapon focus and weapon specialization feats (including Epic ones, which can be selected without having to level as a Fighter).

A minimum of two levels of FB for supreme cleave and you are set to go. Everything else becomes gravy.

Get a two handed weapon as you'll get plenty of defense from buffs and the damage difference is rather substantial (reach also makes a difference particularly if you get stuck in corridors).

An alternative to this is going 1 Rogue (+ Able Learner) and the rest all Ranger (or at least 23 levels). Pick the dual wielding path, pump strength since you'll get all the DW feats for free without the DEX requirement (including Perfect Two Weapon Fighting). Not as good against multiple enemies (no cleave) but absolutely brutal vs. bosses, particularly once you get Bane of Enemies.

roshan

Arcane
Ivy Mike said:
roshan said:
I was considering the fighter/FB approach, so I do like the sound of your recommendation. From my limited play time with NWN 2 as a straight barbarian I did find that the faster movement gave me some edge when it come to ranged based enemies (i e magic users and archers), as the RTwP system allows for a faster character to close in on a ranged based enemy relatively quickly. This might not be as important later on though.

I am kind of partial to the concept of playing a barbarian so I'm reluctant to throw out the whole class, which makes me think that picking one level of barbarian and go from there is a good idea, as Norfleet said. So please show me how a good blueprint for progressing would look like.

Well, to be honest, in the end, your last level will give you absolutely nothing, whether you level as fighter or WM. So it would be a good choice to take one Barbarian level at the beginning. Heres my plan:

Earth Genasi Barbarian

STR 20
DEX 14
INT 14
CON 14
Minimum WIS and CHA

1 - Barbarian: Luck of Heroes (optional, but a pretty good feat to miss)
2 - Fighter: Power Attack
3 - Fighter: Cleave, Great Cleave
4 - Fighter: Dodge
5 - Fighter: Weapon focus Falchion
6 - Fighter: Mobility
7 - FB
8 - FB
9 - FB: improved power attack (not sure if available at this point, switch with whirlwind or spring attack if not)
10 - FB
11 - FB
12 - Fighter - Whirlwind Attack, Spring attack
13 - Weaponmaster
14 - Weaponmaster
15 - Weaponmaster - Improved Critical Falchion
16 - Weaponmaster
17 - Weaponmaster
18 - Weaponmaster - Power Critical Falchion
19 - Weaponmaster
20 - Fighter
21 - Fighter - Weapon Specialization Falchion, Overwhelming Critical
22 - Fighter
23 - Fighter - Greater Weapon focus, Greater Weapon specialization
24 - Fighter
25 - Fighter - Epic Weapon focus, Epic weapon specialization
26 - FB
27 - FB - Armor Skin
28 - FB
29 - FB - Epic Prowess
30 - FB

Put all points into STR to maximize two handed weapon damage.

At the end, you will be doing 24 (power attack) + 6 (specialization) + 8 (enchantment bonus) + 5 (weapon base damage, on average) + 21 (STR bonus) = 64 damage on a regular hit. You will critical 40% of the time, doing 199 points of damage. This does not take into consideration elemental enchantments on your weapon.

An option is to replace falchions with scythes - your criticals will be much more powerful (x5 instead of x3), but will come more rarely (20% of the time, as opposed to 40%).

Ivy Mike

Scholar
I'm not really feeling the RDD. It doesn't "fit" with me LARPing my warrior from the cold northern wastes that fights more and talks less while enjoying the lamenations of women and squeals of cheap wenches. So I'm leaning towards the FB/WM/FTR, or a BRB/FTR/FR (BRB2/FTR8/FR10 is supposed to be a good combination too - you get the speed increase and the uncanny dodge feat).

And yeah, this really made me realise why D&D is considered a munchkin extravaganza.

EDIT: You two beat me too it. So far I've settled on two levels in BARB for Fast Movement and Uncanny Dodge. The build you suggested Lyric Suite sounds like it could be some fun, and fits with my LARP fantasies. How useful is sneak attack though I wonder?

roshan

Arcane
Crichton said:
rage doesnt stack with some item abilities

This is misleading, rage always stacks with item bonuses, but the total bonus to any attribute is capped at +12, so if you craft the super stuff in MotB, you won't get the full bonus.

Barbarians are very mean and they fare better at higher levels than fighters or rangers because their rage improves, but not having the diplomacy skill is kind of a drag for the OC and MotB.[

But considering that there is an item that gives you 12 STR bonus, rage therefore is completely useless at high levels.

If you'll be playing the same character into MotB, I'd recommend using a shield dwarf with an 18 starting con and putting four of your level-up stat bonuses into con to get epic damage reduction later (3 feats for a total of 9/- damage reduction that stacks with your barbarian damage reduction for a total of 17/- at 30).

At high levels you will have a ridiculous amount of HP anyway, and the combat is already too easy. Better focus on damage in order to kill off the enemies quicker.

Add three levels of Rogue (you only lose 1 AB at first level and another at fourth so might as well make it three) for Trap Sense, Evasion and a bonus of 1d6 from Sneak Attack (which for a warrior class is nothing to sneer at).

Evasion isnt very useful because there are items that give improved evasion in MOTB. There arent any deadly traps, so trap sense is also useless. Even if you die, you auto resurrect, so not a big deal at all.

12 levels of Fighter will grant you access to all the weapon focus and weapon specialization feats (including Epic ones, which can be selected without having to level as a Fighter).

Currently, you do not need to level as a fighter to get any of the specialization feats. Epic specialization is available as long as you have the prerequisites, so you only need four levels of fighter for it. Greater weapon specialization requires 8 levels of fighter though.

A minimum of two levels of FB for supreme cleave and you are set to go.

Id always go for 5 levels - the damage bonus from enhanced power attack + improved power attack + two handed weapon is absolutely ridiculous.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
roshan said:
Evasion isnt very useful because there are items that give improved evasion in MOTB. There arent any deadly traps, so trap sense is also useless.

The point is that you don't lose more AB points by picking two more levels of rogue as opposed to fighter, so why not? It's all free stuff anyway and you may only lose a fighter feat and a couple of hit points at worst.

roshan said:
Currently, you do not need to level as a fighter to get any of the specialization feats.

You need level 4 for weapon specialization, level 8 for greater weapon focus and level 12 for greater weapon specialization. So, no.

Mystary!

Arcane
One level of bard, with or without rdd, would grant you some Fafhrd-points! One level, as already stated, would allow you to max out any skill coupled with Able Learner. Diplomacy and Bluff would surely grant you more women than Intimidate...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ivy Mike said:
How useful is sneak attack though I wonder?

It's useful at the beginning (and it seems to trigger often enough in the heat of battle without bothering to position yourself, which you shouldn't) but at high levels +1D6 of extra damage (double if you get a critical) every now and then isn't much compared to the already ridiculous amount of pain you can inflict with your uber enchanted weapon. Still, it's free, so why not?

Of course, this is assuming you want to start with a level of rogue to gain access to all the skills either wise don't even bother. As i said, once you go 1 you might as well make it 3 but that's that. If you want a fighter who can actually sneak attack on a decent level i wouldn't bother with less then 10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom