Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2: mask of the betrayer is out now.

sheek

Arbiter
Andrej said:
Damn romances ruin the game. The totaly ruin the mood of the game and the imersion. Atleast in this game, for me. Well, the one romance that I was almost forced into.

As for NWN2, most of the people who liked NWN (Which was a really shitty game, a D&D atempt at Diablo) didn't like NWN2, which was more an atempt at Baldurs Gate 1 & 2. After all, NWN is a crappy game and NWN2 is a decent one. You can't expect people who love crap to suddenly start liking decent things.

And on the spirit meter, I thought the game was damn hard (due to my misuse of the spirit stuff) untill i played the last way out card, realized that it was only a tiny loss of xp and after that it got really, really easy.

However, NWN2 and MotB are two games that i'll gladly support economically in hopes of seeing similar games in the future.
How is NWN1 worse than NWN2?

To me they seem almost except the same (a few differences in traits, perks) except that NWN2 is more resource intensive and more difficult to control. Can't be bothered with the OC's of either but I don't see any improvement whatsoever in the engine.

Andrej

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"As for NWN2, most of the people who liked NWN (Which was a really shitty game, a D&D atempt at Diablo) didn't like NWN2"
Absolutely fuckin' bullshit that you pulled out of your pathetic ass.
It's my opinion, in regards to the OC. Are you going to acuse me of having subjective opinions, next?

sheek said:
How is NWN1 worse than NWN2?

To me they seem almost except the same (a few differences in traits, perks) except that NWN2 is more resource intensive and more difficult to control. Can't be bothered with the OC's of either but I don't see any improvement whatsoever in the engine.
NWN1 reminds me a lot more of Diablo than say, any of the baldurs gate games. NWN2 reminds me a lot more of the Baldurs Gate games than say, Diablo. And yes, I'm primarily talking about the OC, not the engine.

I really did find NWN2 a lot more enjoyable than NWN1, where I felt all of NWN1's focus was on hack n' slash. Mind you, there was a lot of focus on hack n' slash in NWN2's OC too, but all of it wasn't there.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The only real difference between NWN1 OC and NWN2 OC is the quality of the writing, and the variety and quality of the quests. For most people the jump in quality found in NWN2 OC is not enough to offset their dissatisfaction with the game engine/controls/gameplay, which is essentially the same in both games.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I really can't decide on this game.

I didn't like NWN2 much, played it for about 16 hours and got bored and quit. My biggest problem was the lack of open freedom of exploration and the ram rodded linear story. I hated that I coudn't walk around the city of Neverwinter and go into buildings since most all of them were just eye candy and not able to be entered.

So, based on that above.....from those of you who have played MOTB, would you recommend it to me? Does it improve much on those aspects?

I really wish there was a Demo.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Volourn said:
"As for NWN2, most of the people who liked NWN (Which was a really shitty game, a D&D atempt at Diablo) didn't like NWN2"

Absolutely fuckin' bullshit that you pulled out of your pathetic ass.

Clear proof Volourn is a lying whore. All his rhetoric is based on shit he pulls out of his ass on impulse and when he's caught in the act he has no choice but defend his own bullshit or lose face.

When the game was released the Bioware forums was ABSOLUTELY FUCKING FLOODED with people complaining about how shitty the game was compared to the almighty NWN.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"When the game was released the Bioware forums was ABSOLUTELY FUCKING FLOODED with people complaining about how shitty the game was compared to the almighty NWN."

Flooded by the same 10 people whining about the same things repeatedly. Much like it was with NWN1, and the same 10 people who whined how shitty NWN1 was.

Use your logicalness bone to figure this out.

Most people who liked NWN1, and then played NWN2 liked it as well. Most people who hated NWN1 and then played NWN2 liked it as well. Sure, there *are* exemptions to the rule; but that's why they're called exemptions,

It's all about perception.

Here's an example: I rate NWN and NWN2 OCs about the same; but if you polled people I have no doubt you'd get a bullshit result of people thinking I loved NWN1 and hated NWN2.

Game over, game fuckin' over. MAN.

P.S. There's a HUGE difference between liking game x more than liking game y and lking game x and hating game y.

Don't be a doofus, and actually learn to tell the difference.

ie. I like BG2 more than PST but that doesn't mean I hate PST.

DemonKing

Arcane
As single player games, I far preferred the NWN2 OC over NWN OC.

The storyline was better and so was the fact you had a lot more control over your companions. I still wouldn't pick it over any of the IE games...the engine is pretty clunky and some of the design tedious (ie orc caves/warehouse).

Andrej

Liturgist
Honestly, I don't see the real problem with NWN2's camera. Well, atleast not in MotB - where they changed it again (I really can't remember how it was before that. I still finished the OC so i couldn't have been game breakingly bad, at least for me). Of course, the so called "Character Mode" is atrocious but if you click the right options in "Strategy Mode" it's really easy. Scroll as you wish, zoom as you wish and turn the camera easily by holding down the middle mouse button. All quite easy.

And to add to the discussion, I really did dislike NWN1 strongly and the camera in that game was horrid, always following you around in a very sickening manner.

The_Pope

Scholar
Does anyone know whether this game is an intentional parody of OMG EPIC!!1!?

I found it hilarious that the epic RPG opening is waking up in a dungeon then fighting epic badgers. The +5 maces in dirt piles were another good laugh.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
I really can't decide on this game.

I didn't like NWN2 much, played it for about 16 hours and got bored and quit. My biggest problem was the lack of open freedom of exploration and the ram rodded linear story. I hated that I coudn't walk around the city of Neverwinter and go into buildings since most all of them were just eye candy and not able to be entered.

So, based on that above.....from those of you who have played MOTB, would you recommend it to me? Does it improve much on those aspects?

I really wish there was a Demo.

its a roleplaying game and more akin to PnP modules then a sandbox. lets say you were playing PnP and had some kind of curse that you must find more about..... would you ask your DM to go into random houses to see whats in there instead of finding means how to deal with your curse ? if so, wouldnt your DM penalize you for "not roleplaying" ?

MOTB is NWN2 + better setting / writing, lots of small improvements. the praise you read here is about 75% from people who didnt hate NWN2 in the first place. the "this game sucks/is mediocre" things will tickle in soon enough, see the bullshit about epic badgers (its lvl 10-15 animal spirits, not lvl 21 common badgers....makes quite a different, eh ?) just above. so just like with the original NWN2 OC half the people here will either like it, probably even rave about it thanks to the improvements over the OC. and half, maybe this time less-than-half- will still hate it because in their heads Fallout/PS:T/Arcanum had 10 choices and consequences per minute with awesome combat to boot and its just as realistic to expect reasonable reviews from them as from the professional morons who praise any game the next messiah based on graphics and company name alone.

Starwars

Arcane
Personally I didn't hate the NWN2 OC at all. But there were certain parts of it that I did hate (most of Act I for example). If they had either cut out the rubbish, or if the entire game had been more like Act II (which I think is the best act), then I probably would've called the game good. Right now I would give it an average score.
Though again, the problem with the game for me is that I feel the quality bounces up and down like crazy.

Anyways, I'm most definetely certain that everyone will not praise MotB. Like I said before, if you absolutely couldn't stand NWN2, then I don't think you'll get much enjoyment out of MotB either. It does take hints from PS:T, but it's still a Neverwinter Nights game which means plenty of combat. The good thing is that this time I feel that the combat is pretty good. I still feel many encounters are to easy, but in my experience, they were never so easy that I could just "switch off" like I did countless times in NWN2.

And I do think you should edit that post skyway.

EDIT: And as far as the IE games go, I would actually rank this over all of them except PS:T I think.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ok, can anybody explain why people are complaining about the length? If the NWN 2 OC is about 40 hours and MotB is 20-25 hours, then its pretty good, no? Plus with different endings, C&C and companions, it deserves a 2nd playthrough. Or am I wrong here?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Or am I wrong here?
You're wrong. As I said quests are pretty linear and you will encounter the same things on the second playthrough.
It's another influence of dumbed-down games. Somebody said that gamers don't want to play a 2nd time through the same game today, and Obsidian fell for that in MotB I think.

Starwars

Arcane
I don't completely agree there. While it's definetely not Fallout choices galore, there are definetely moments where you get a choice in how to complete a quest, some which change the ending. It's definetely not different paths though unfortunately.
I feel way more compelled to play through this than I did for NWN2, as well as the IE games (again, except PS:T).

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I find the interface of nwn2 to be a bit clunky, requiring lots of clicks. When I right-click a bag, I want it open! Not a menu with the different options. Well the menu wouldn't really bother me expect it insists on phasing in slowly instead of just appearing immediately. The same responsiveness (or lack of) bothers me during the game. When I click for my character to do something, there always appears to be a small delay and it really bugs me. Or maybe my fps is just so horribly low.

I also dislike having to constantly move my camera around to see what is going on. In the beginning of MotB for instance when you are in the caves I would run past monster traps and not realize I'd been attacked because they were hidden from the camera. So I have to flip it around and try to zoom it in somehow. It all just feels very vague, I don't have a big picture of what I'm dealing with in combat, probably because I'm running on a low resolution.

I can't say much on MotB yet since I'm right at the start. I'm optimistic and it appears promising. What's all this "hunger" then, eh?

Starwars

Arcane
About the right click Kingston, you can change that in the Options menu so that it's nearly instant. I'm not sure why they set the default delay like it is (I don't see the point in it myself), but you can change it.

I'm not having much trouble with the camera myself. Have you tried customizing it (there are options for both Strategy and Character mode)? I use Strategy mode myself, hold the middle-mouse wheel to rotate the camera and zoom in when needed.

Texas Red

Whiner
I had zero problems with the interface or the camera, even when I just started. I never understood the complaining. Then again, im the guys who has nothing against the combat of Arcanum or PS:T. *shrugs*

Starwars

Arcane
The only part of the interface that I really don't like is the inventory. I'd much rather have the intentory tetris thing, with large icons so you can see what the item actually is without having to mouse over it. I also wish there was some form of "inventory pool" in the places where you change your party in the NWN2 OC so you could distribute your stuff between companions easier.
The other stuff is fine by me, especially when you learn the hotkeys (quickcast menu is really nice).

Andrej

Liturgist
Starwars said:
The other stuff is fine by me, especially when you learn the hotkeys (quickcast menu is really nice).
How does the quickcast menu work, besides opening it with F and clicking on the spell you want?

Starwars

Arcane
That's what I meant. :lol: Easy and quick to use. Just right-click on the spell to see what it does.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the Quickcast Menu is also invaluable because it clearly delineates between regular, spontaenous, and metamagic spells. if you've never played a wizard or a cleric, you won't understand just how awesome it is.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Starwars said:
Personally I didn't hate the NWN2 OC at all. But there were certain parts of it that I did hate (most of Act I for example). If they had either cut out the rubbish, or if the entire game had been more like Act II (which I think is the best act), then I probably would've called the game good. Right now I would give it an average score.
Though again, the problem with the game for me is that I feel the quality bounces up and down like crazy.

Anyways, I'm most definetely certain that everyone will not praise MotB. Like I said before, if you absolutely couldn't stand NWN2, then I don't think you'll get much enjoyment out of MotB either. It does take hints from PS:T, but it's still a Neverwinter Nights game which means plenty of combat. The good thing is that this time I feel that the combat is pretty good. I still feel many encounters are to easy, but in my experience, they were never so easy that I could just "switch off" like I did countless times in NWN2.

And I do think you should edit that post skyway.

EDIT: And as far as the IE games go, I would actually rank this over all of them except PS:T I think.
Guess I'll be the exception to that rule then, I fucking hated NWN2 but have been enjoying MOTB immensely. The storytelling and writing make up for the crappy rtwp combat system, though combat itself is more challenging but still fairly annoying.

Micmu

Magister
Quick question.

Is there a pure rogue NPC companion in MoTB other than that obnoxious Neeshka thing?
That fucking stereotypical rogue bitch that never shuts up (and you can't get rid of her) is making me stop playing the OC once again. And I want to finish it before I start with the expansion.
Don't tell me she reappears in the expansion as a forced companion? :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom