Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Rest For The Wicked - Isometric Action RPG with Unprecedented Verticality from The Maker of Ori Games - now on Early Access

motherfucker

Educated
Or maybe they just suck ass at coding.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Spaghetti code and endless if and else statements are norm in modern Ubisoft games. That we know for a fact. How the fuck you imagine that games like Skull & Bones look under the hood lol. 20 years ago, gaming company caught like that would close itself out of embarrassment. Societal decline in West is not a meme

For No Rest For The Wicked, I presume their in-house engine needs refactoring, but getting free money from Nvidia and Intel to not do it is probably more lucrative

lightbane

Arcane
At least it's not Unity, right? Ori 2 was more demanding, but it was somewhat fair. These specs are ridiculous. At least it's not 80+ GB of space...

ArchAngel

Arcane
At least it's not Unity, right? Ori 2 was more demanding, but it was somewhat fair. These specs are ridiculous. At least it's not 80+ GB of space...
Now that Unity is dying gamers are going to need a new designated bad guy for bad coded games :D

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Now that Unity is dying gamers are going to need a new designated bad guy for bad coded games :D
HaHa. As shitty or not Unity is, it was never the root cause for unoptimized games just like publishers weren't for bad games. Proof: well optimized Unity games. It always was and is: bad developers

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Good programmers are rare. Those who are also good designers rarer. Where do you think best are working at: SpaceX or Bioware? Most modern Devs know engines and frameworks, not programming languages. They know Unity, not C++/# in which Unity is written and which you have to know if you need solution for problem for which Unity doesn't have default solution. Are you beginning to understand? That's one of reasons why all games made by midwits: look, play, feel and are bugged in similar way

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The fact that studio and Devs behind Ori and this game have their own engine is encouraging. That does mean they have at least few serious programmers on board

Zanzoken

Arcane
$40 is more than I expected but it really doesn't matter. A top-down action RPG with climbing elements is one of my dream games, and the visual style is sublime.

gydkMn9.png

I should have some time to play this afternoon and evening, will post impressions later.

ADL

Prophet
I'm not a Souls master by any means but I'm finding the parry mechanic to be extremely forgiving. Doesn't trivialize the game though, a group of enemies is still a group of enemies.

motherfucker

Educated
Haven't played it myself because fuck buying games at release, but from watching several streamers the overall vibe seems that this game honestly sucks. No singular flaw, it's just not very well made. There's nothing about it that's interesting enough to justify the jank.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Haven't played it myself because fuck buying games at release, but from watching several streamers the overall vibe seems that this game honestly sucks. No singular flaw, it's just not very well made. There's nothing about it that's interesting enough to justify the jank.
This is not release but Early Access. Jank is to be expected.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I had a chance to play for about 4 hours this afternoon, and I'm far enough along that I think I can give fair early impressions.

The strongest part of the game so far is the game world and level design. It's larger than I expected, and while it is technically split into zones what I've seen so far is properly open world in the vein of say, Gothic. You won't be sitting through any loading screens. And despite their size, the levels are thoughtfully designed and make satisfying use of the climbing and platforming mechanics. If you're an explorefag like me who likes to poke around, find hidden areas, etc then you'll be entertained.

The presentation is also a strong selling point here. The graphics are beautiful, assuming you like a painterly style. The voice acting is also good. It should be noted the story is fairly minimal so far and completely on rails, and your character doesn't have dialogue options or even speak at all. However this minimalism is reflected in the gameplay too with a refreshing lack of handholding. You will see an occasional quest or map marker, but other than a general point in the right direction the game seemingly trusts you to figure things out for yourself, which is laudable.

The only thing I will say negative about the preceding two points is, the levels can get really busy visually with all of the environment art, post-processing effects, etc. There is so much crammed in that it feels a little overwhelming at times, and your eye isn't sure where to naturally direct focus. This may seem like a minor point but the cluttered visual design makes the game feel somewhat fatiguing to play, because you're constantly scanning every part of the frame.

Now the combat... what to say. It is not bad, but I also struggle to call it good. It is hard and I die often, which is fine. Partially because the enemies hit hard and are tricky to time, but also because the controls still don't feel that intuitive to me even after a few hours of playing, and unfortunately they can't be reassigned. To cite an egregiously bad example, the right trigger on the controller is reserved for emotes -- fucking EMOTES -- as if this is goddamn Fortnite. Each weapon has a basic attack combo and a charge attack, plus special attacks that I always forget to use because they aren't easy to access on the controller. Managing distance is important especially for the dodge and parry mechanics. The dodge feels good and its type changes depending on how heavy you are (weight = equipped weapons and armor) which I like. But although I use parrying a lot I never can get quite comfortable with the timing. It just doesn't feel right. So the jury is still out for now, I definitely see room for improvement but it's not bad enough to where I want to quit playing.

As far as the RPG systems go, this is another area that is currently lacking. You character has several attributes that all start at 10, and you get +3 per level up. However I can't explain to you what any of them do, since this system seems to suffer from the Josh Sawyer school of design where it doesn't really affect anything. I beat the first boss at level 4 despite not assigning any of the points I had. The only thing I've noticed so far where attributes come into play is I can't equip certain weapons because of hard requirements. So we'll see but so far this barely feels like an RPG in terms of character development.

Then there are what I'll just call the Minecraft elements of the game. So far I've encountered mining, fishing, digging, woodcutting, and cooking. Crafting weapons and armor is in too although I haven't gotten there yet. Items have durability and have to be repaired (the only consequence of death is returning to save point with your equipment durability damaged). To all this I say... why? Why does every RPG include these systems now? They are fine for a survivalist type game, but here, I really do not see the point. It's not a dealbreaker for me but I sincerely wish we could get rid of this trope that every RPG needs to have this shit.

Loot is everywhere, occasionally weapons and armor but mostly consumables and crafting components (at least it's not stupid nonsensical equipment like "Epic Gauntlets of Telepathy and Lockpicking" cough fucking gay ass Larian). Loot drops are randomized and also respawn, which quite frankly is an odd and poor design choice. I don't know why you would go to the effort of designing such good levels and then randomize the rewards for exploring them. Players will eventually stop pushing themselves to find stuff if they don't trust that there is anything worth finding.

Lastly the performance has been quite good, especially considering the garbage state most games ship in today. There are hiccups in the frame rate and occasional small glitches, but overall it's very playable and I've not run into any major bugs. Hopefully the optimization improves as I'm not quite able to hit a steady 120fps at 1080p with my i7-12700k and RX 6800 XT.

Overall I like the game, despite the noted issues and it barely being an RPG. The fact that it's an Early Access release hopefully means they're willing to listen to feedback and improve the areas that are lacking.

destinae vomitus

Educated
I tried it out "for free" for a bit. Besides the pretty poor performance that I put up with and nice looking cutscenes, it was humdrum to be honest. A formulaic take on Dark Souls with no real surprises or novelty going for it as far as I can tell, unless some apparent superficial influence from Breath of the Wild and an emphasis on looting/crafting counts. WASD movement isn't awful but clearly an afterthought given how many narrow beams over pits and such you're expected to traverse to reach goodies while exploring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom