Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Rest For The Wicked - Isometric Action RPG with Unprecedented Verticality from The Maker of Ori Games - now on Early Access

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Climbed up to Mostly Positive on Steam now:

1714064896826.png

How is magery in this game?
I am curious about this also. Looks like a guy made a demonstration video of the runes. They appear to grant spells or spell-like abilities. Doesn't look like traditional mages are in.

Some, like Chain lightning, blink, and more will come close enough to scratch the itch though. There are some spectacular novas, like Eruption and Glacial Spike. A few projectiles like fireball and haill, but most moves are still some kind of martial manuever. The plague projectiles look pretty badass though.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It looks like there is a end game gauntlet which has several rooms. However I did not managed to reach the end boss because all the mobs from these rooms are lvl 21+ while my avatar was lvl 15.

It looks like all mobs are bumped to lvl 21 once you reach end game therefore I was unable to farm most locations or beat an optional boss which was pretty insane.

I've spent a couple of hours and probably around 30+ tries trying to kill this optional boss but I couldn't because running in leather armor is a big no-no.

Then I switched to the highest poise armor in the game and with poise potion I was able to tank the boss. It felt good! Very good! :)

It doesn't redeem the game but it's nice to see that poise works and the game allows quite different builds: poise, parry, kite and so on.

And there is one thing that the game is actually improving on the DaS formula: focus mechanics. Basically it doesn't allow retards to spam weapon arts. That's good.

This is my max upgraded weapon and my retarded build. I wasted many points on Equip Load because I thought running naked with a greatsword could work. It doesn't.

529507C143E7F78929158EA70F72B95215BCEFB2

C5A435097B98A022ABD614325048A0C5E73A9C78

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So will a year or two in the oven save the game?

A lot of what's wrong with the game seem like they can either be removed or tweaked, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Basically: Early Access and all it's related problems.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So will a year or two in the oven save the game?

A lot of what's wrong with the game seem like they can either be removed or tweaked, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Basically: Early Access and all it's related problems.
Yeah. The game has potential but they need to fix the parry and the crafting ... which I don't think it will happen.

However exploration is great and combat is fun.

They just need to add more areas and the end result will be good.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Will EA fix performance?
I might get this few years down the line when it works well on Xbox and is 50% off

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
No Rest for the Wicked is like our Lord of the Rings.
Wut? Why are all modern gamedevs constantly ego-tripping?

5-10 years

Jesus Christ this is the worst thing they could've said. Way to make it sound like a fucking live service game. I really thought they were going to to take cues from Dark Souls, not Diablo and POE.

Whatever, I'll come back in 5 years and see if this is their "Lord of the Rings" or some consumerist garbage with good visuals.

Spike

Educated

5-10 years

Jesus Christ this is the worst thing they could've said. Way to make it sound like a fucking live service game. I really thought they were going to to take cues from Dark Souls, not Diablo and POE.

Whatever, I'll come back in 5 years and see if this is their "Lord of the Rings" or some consumerist garbage with good visuals.
Well they seem to mean that they are going to keep updating it after 1.0. 1.0 is "Fellowship".

ArchAngel

Arcane

5-10 years

They are counting on better hardware 5-10 years down the line so they do not need to optimize their game :D

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

5-10 years

Live service fuckery already started.

They changed something with the enchantment system therefore it's almost impossible to get some types of enchantments.

This means I'm stuck with my current equipment for a long time, unless a miracle happens. Also new people have very slim chances to get even this shit.

5-10 years

Permanent Early Access Game, fucking hate them

Cross

Arcane
I haven't tried this out, but an isometric Souls-like seems dumb. I'm looking at the gameplay videos and it's always the same thing: dodge-rolling around a single target, so what is the point of the isometric perspective? It makes gameplay less satisfying and might even hurt readibility of attacks compared to a third-person perspective. And the Diablo stuff is at odds with the design of Dark Souls. It's just mindlessly copying the most popular games.

The isometric perspective would make more sense if the gameplay supported it. Something like the isometric Ys games from the mid-2000's, with lots of enemies and lots of dodgeable projectiles.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I haven't tried this out, but an isometric Souls-like seems dumb. I'm looking at the gameplay videos and it's always the same thing: dodge-rolling around a single target, so what is the point of the isometric perspective? It makes gameplay less satisfying and might even hurt readibility of attacks compared to a third-person perspective. And the Diablo stuff is at odds with the design of Dark Souls. It's just mindlessly copying the most popular games.

The isometric perspective would make more sense if the gameplay supported it. Something like the isometric Ys games from the mid-2000's, with lots of enemies and lots of dodgeable projectiles.
There are fights vs 2 or 3 enemies.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Hate to admit it but barrel rolling worked in Wolcen. Then again single press dodge could be something else too.

scytheavatar

Scholar

That's the problem and why this game is doomed on the long run. As a POE wannabe it will need to compete with the years of content that POE has, and that is basically impossible. This is the sad reality of anyone trying to break into the ARPG space, it's a battle not of quality but of quantity. This is the same problem that doomed the likes of Last Epoch and Diablo 4. Heck that will likely doom POE 2 as it competes with POE 1.

tritosine2k

Erudite

That's the problem and why this game is doomed on the long run. As a POE wannabe it will need to compete with the years of content that POE has, and that is basically impossible. This is the sad reality of anyone trying to break into the ARPG space, it's a battle not of quality but of quantity. This is the same problem that doomed the likes of Last Epoch and Diablo 4. Heck that will likely doom POE 2 as it competes with POE 1.
It's mostly redundant content and theres little intended interaction, they just fixed a bug with delirium blocking elder guardian, stygian spire is almost the same as harbinger, ritual is almost the same as ultimatum etc.

lightbane

Arcane
So, has anyone found any connection or Easter Egg to the Ori games yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom