Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Rest For The Wicked - Isometric Action RPG with Unprecedented Verticality from The Maker of Ori Games - now on Early Access

Sibelius

Novice
Yeah, there's better ways to do a Soulslike than to make a dodge simulator. :/
To be fair, there is a fair bit of blocking in the boss fight as well and the finishing move is a parry. Seems like there will be the usual options.

Machocruz

Arcane
This perspective usually lets you judge spacing and angle of attack pretty accurately, no need for i-frame maneuvers, but they're putting that shit in side-scrollers too, where judging is even easier. I don't see the point. Monkeys see, so monkeys do I guess

tritosine2k

Erudite
Theres nothing tactical about animation driven gameplay in souls games it's arcadey (semi) opportunistic /braindead.

They just want to score grimdark points with diablo referencing when it's some drooling numale art direction lol.

tritosine2k

Erudite
... animation driven gameplay ...
Respect. You are using good mushrooms.

It's a thing look it up. Just like it's a thing this can't be aimed at "discerning consumers" with "tactical affinity" .
This stuff is straight up worse than Shadow over Mystara (and it's in "RPG discussion").

Hell, you have SDG defending Elden Ring gameplay loop & design.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
... animation driven gameplay ...
Respect. You are using good mushrooms.

It's a thing look it up. Just like it's a thing this can't be aimed at "discerning consumers" with "tactical affinity" .
This stuff is straight up worse than Shadow over Mystara (and it's in "RPG discussion").

Hell, you have SDG defending Elden Ring gameplay loop & design.
You have no idea what you're talking about? :)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think this looks great. Slower tactical combat is the right decision.

aka. consoomerism
Dumb take. Arcade-y combat can be deliberate and tactical, doesn't have to be braindead. Git gud.
YEAH RIGHT, you smartened guys should team up and set up a kool aid stand, just keep it out of RPG discussion. :lol:
You are one more step closer to "I was only pretending to be retarded" meme.

Stay the course and you'll reach it in no time.

tritosine2k

Erudite

practically reddit tier takes ITT, with dev cajoling consoomers. Imagine falling for this button-awesome tier shit.

Spike

Educated

practically reddit tier takes ITT, with dev cajoling consoomers. Imagine falling for this button-awesome tier shit.

You can copepost all you want. You don't have to like this kind of game but to call people who do consoomers or whatever is...bizarre.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Yeah right,and liking certain popular barrel-roll-diving action genre so much you fancy it's whatever tactical and RPG is not bizarre at all. And how many titles of said genre consoomed in last 5-10 years and still can't get enough (dude even explicitly expresses xD ) is not bizarre at all.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Unless infected with WOKE prior to release, this has potential to be masterpiece. We'll see, we'll see...

I dig art style, I dig look of characters and world so far, gameplay is still mystery. I have 0 problems it being actiony if it's good action

There's big demonstration of game by Devs on 1st of March. That's soon

samoilaaa

Educated
Unless infected with WOKE prior to release, this has potential to be masterpiece. We'll see, we'll see...

I dig art style, I dig look of characters and world so far, gameplay is still mystery. I have 0 problems it being actiony if it's good action

There's big demonstration of game by Devs on 1st of March. That's soon
Its sad that we live in such times that when we see a good looking game we have to wait and see how woke it is

Vulpes

Scholar
From Moon Studios, the award-winning developers of Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps comes No Rest for the Wicked, a visceral, precision Action RPG set to reinvent the genre.
What's supposed to be so innovative about it? All I've seen so far paints this as another by-the-books Soulslop where your only decision is whether to play as a warrior with a two-handed weapon or warrior with a one-hander and shield. Are there any immersive sim elements I might have missed? Will it try to combine Soulslike combat with abilities and skill trees normally associated with top-down ARPGs (Titan Quest, Torchlight, Grim Dawn, Sacred, etc.)?

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah I'm not convinced this is going to be anything revolutionary based on what we've seen so far but who knows

Sibelius

Novice
From Moon Studios, the award-winning developers of Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps comes No Rest for the Wicked, a visceral, precision Action RPG set to reinvent the genre.
What's supposed to be so innovative about it? All I've seen so far paints this as another by-the-books Soulslop where your only decision is whether to play as a warrior with a two-handed weapon or warrior with a one-hander and shield. Are there any immersive sim elements I might have missed? Will it try to combine Soulslike combat with abilities and skill trees normally associated with top-down ARPGs (Titan Quest, Torchlight, Grim Dawn, Sacred, etc.)?
Not many isometric souls style games on the market. If this includes all or most of the Souls sub-genre staples it will be almost completely unique. If it has well crafted combat encounters and doesn't descend into swarms of enemies, AOE spinning attacks and maximum visual clutter, it will be easy to distinguish it from Diablo, POE or Grim Dawn. People calling it a rolling simulator weren't paying attention, there is plenty of blocking and parrying in the footage (and it looks like there is a true dodge and a double tap roll dodge). I must say I would rather they keep skills as weapon type or special weapon specific, like a true Souls game rather than having a Diabloesque skill bar. Looking at the HUD in the first IGN video on page 1, it looks like a standard souls D-PAD display with weapons and consumables, so I'm going to guess that there won't be selectable abilities.

I am optimistic about this, my only issue is the art direction is a bit cartoonish with an overly colourful palette for my taste (and for a Souls inspired game I guess). Nothing a good reshade can't fix.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I guess I'm an outlier but I'm hoping for a thoughtful setting with dark atmosphere and some decent-ish combat and exploration.

If I'm being super optimistic I might even hope for good writing.

destinae vomitus

Educated
Some of the scant bits of dialogue in Ori 2 were what I'd call sharply written and the story itself in both games was "fine for what it is" (mostly carried by the presentation), but who knows how they'll fare tackling something less minimalistic and whimsical.

There's this "easter egg" on the game's website you can see if you click on O, R and the red gem in the middle of the logo, which to me suggests it at least won't be a perfunctory effort.
TBj1xfH.jpeg

Terenty

Liturgist
Ori games were great, obviously a lot of love put into them. Judging by that IGN interview, how excited and proud the devs sound, this one will be no different. And fully fledged coop from start to finish? Sounds great

Sòren

Arcane

i thought the same, but then i remembered, i wouldn't have given the Ori games a chance either purely based on gameplay videos (i'm not a big fan of metroid likes and it's not like Moon Studios invented a new kind of the wheel here), yet they are magnificent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom