Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Mortmal

Arcane
So was this a pc game ported to the ps4 or a ps4 game ported to pc?
In this day and age you have to ask?
Played for 7 hours, its clearly a console game ported to the pc, the interface is designed for pad and not especially user friendly nor intuitive.At least we get the immense advantage to be able to aim with the mouse . Technically still good got only one crash , no problem with everything on max fov and everything on high. Theres quite some diversity in biomes and so wow moment when finding tunnels brimming with life and fluroescent plants for exemple. Its not anwyhere close tothe hyped promised was promised, but neither close to the steam negative reviews filled with lies too.

AMG

Arbiter
This isn't even a game. You just follow quest marker and shoot rocks or dumb drones. This is not an exaggeration.
Performance is bad. Flight model is abysmal. UI is awful. It's ugly as sin. The robot voice makes my ears bleed. There is no challenge. Everything about this "game" is wrong.
It's not even something to play while meditating or listening to some youtube videos, playing this is actively unfun.
Why did this get so much attention again? I wouldn't even bother to check it out normally, because it seemed like an another indie screensaver, but for some reason this trash is plastered all over internet.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Why did this get so much attention again? I wouldn't even bother to check it out normally, because it seemed like an another indie screensaver, but for some reason this trash is plastered all over internet.
Sony.

Nah, even before Sony the hype got immense, the VGX awards show of 2013 was so abysmal that when No Mans Sky appeared everyone lost their shit.

Latelistener

Arcane
200k players. It's really amazing what a good marketing campaign can do. I mean, they just showed a bunch of trailers and everyone voluntarily switched off their brains, believing that a game where everything is procedurally generated will be interesting to play.
Although it makes me want to install a proper space sim, so that's something, I guess.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I have to hand it to them, they managed to make the launch even more of a salty shitstorm by fucking up the PC port. The game being garbage wasn't enough for them, they had to go full decline. Sean Murray has learned well from the masters.
peter-molyneux.jpg
bk-0i1NN.jpg
portrait_wright_240x270.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Orion

Cipher
The game is pretty functional. I didn't have any issues on my PC even though I'm pretty much right at the minimum requirements for the game. I think I got lucky with my starting solar system - most of the planets, fauna and flora looked nice. To me, mining resources and selling them and getting upgrades for all my shit while jumping from planet to planet is pretty satisfying. It would work better as a $30 game though.

Acquired it, ran on a 2600k at 4.5 GHz, two GTX 970's, 16GB of 3600 DDR4 Ram and installed on a Samsung 950 Pro. Did not like SLI at all. Switched to one 970, and I can get 60 fps with everything to high at 1440p. 4K's gonna need some optimization. Problem is the herky jerk, jitters and stutters. Also if I find the person who decided the static-y fade in was a good idea I'll shoot him. Visuals are a weird give and take. The first time you go into a cave looks awesome...but then you return to the surface and it looks like everything hasn't finished loading in. That feeling doesn't go away. Textures are terrible.

After I got the ship prepped I decided to do a flyby of the planet for any interesting spots I missed. Nearly became ill when I nudged to turn and the ship just shifted instead of moving normally. Noped right the fuck out and uninstalled. *Maybe* in a half a year after they've cleared out performance issues and done the usual upgrading. I thought Empyrion started out really kind of meh, but now I come back every couple months to start anew and fiddle around with all the cool stuff.

Edit: Took the money I was thinking of spending on it and instead purchased Way of the Samurai 3 (didn't know that was even on Steam), Precursor Worlds DLC for GalCiv III, Stardew Valley and a physical copy of Freelancer. Had an old pirated copy but it went with the great Warez purge of 2011 (or was it 12?) and it's a game I enjoy enough to have on my shelf.

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Fixed my frame rate, go into your config settings in the game folder and disable G-Sync, it's an nvidia thing that only works with certain monitors so it must have been enabled by accident.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fixed my frame rate, go into your config settings in the game folder and disable G-Sync, it's an nvidia thing that only works with certain monitors so it must have been enabled by accident.
what? where is it ? i dont have no config in game folder

Perkel

Arcane
Played few more hours. Game is defo fun for now.

I disagree about flight model. Sure it isn't spacy as you practically fly aircraft (like f16) in space but it is fun to fly around.

I think biggest difference here is expectations. People who want Space Engine like experience will find game fun while others who want gamy game from it will find it annoying.

Playing currently at 2500x1400 and it works rather well for my old i53470nonk, 7970 combo. Only problem i have is lack of proper Vsync. Other than than slight stutter is expected in proceduraly made game (in space engine it takes a lot longer to generate planets surface and they are usually barren)

What suprised me was that planets aren't just flat surfaces. Unlike Space Engine which creates planets from one flat surface here planet generation is different, caves, canions and so on. Most of them don't look real but it goes well into old sci fi books theme they wanted to follow.

Combat also seems fun, especially since you start outmatched and can die easily. They kind of cheat since ships behave like i mentioned f16 rather than space ships (no streefing) so dogfights reminds more of f16 dogfight rather than space fights.

Didn't took part in larger battles yet.

Speaking of larger battles. I find aliens in this game interesting or at least way more fun to "experience" than most of games this type. You first start talking with them and you don't know their language. By frequently dealing with them you learn their language.
Always wanted to see game with that sort of thing. Though i don't know how much of it will work or be annoying in future.

Like i previously said in my quick info about it i like UI. Like some people said it is done with pad in mind but on pad it works really well. I also like combat ui it is simple and yet i get all information i need. I hate cluttered ui for combat.

Overall game is great next Space Engine with small amount of gameplay to go with it. If you liked Space Engine and always wanted exploration by ship this is game that fulfills it.
If you want to play FreeSpace 2 like game this isn't the one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom