Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo DS Lite & jRPGs & stuff

Section8

Cipher
The face structure and the caved-in chest are what tells me.

Oops. I forgot anime girls have gigantic breasts that develop during infancy.

dolio

Scholar
Section8 said:
Oops. I forgot anime girls have gigantic breasts that develop during infancy.
Not all of them. Some are permanently stuck in the body of an 8-year-old for the fans with a lolita complex.

peak

Scholar
Advance Wars DS is a great strategy game, not as advanced as some PC games, but a lot more tactical than one would think from the looks of it. Real fun. Why aren't ID developing a DS-Fire Emblem yet?

Admiral jimbob said:
Sticking my neck out, I have to say I really enjoy Phoenix Wright as well. Well, apart from Justice for All, because that was a horrible game. And Apollo Justice, because that's going to be horrible even if it isn't out yet. The formula started getting a little tired at the end of game 3, so I'd be wary of a new game even if it was still focusing on Phoenix. Still, Ace Attorney and Trials and Tribulations are pretty great games.

I enjoyed Justice for All as well. It did become repetitive very quickly, I'd almost say that the formula almost had become tired at the end of game one even - but the final bits of it almost had me screaming. Looking back, they could and should have made more of it, but the game still qualifies as play-worthy in my book. It is blown away by the third game tho, I'm surprised at how Capcom have managed to make a game I felt was becoming tired at the end of the first, being good two games later.

Now if they'd just drop Butz and Oldbag for the fourth I'll be a happy camper.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
They've dropped every character apart from Phoenix, Ema and the Judge, I believe. Phoenix wasn't meant to return, but Capcom made the writer(s) include him, so apparently as a sort of revenge he flipped the character's personality completely and made him a corrupt, apathetic asshole who hogs the limelight for the entire game and doesn't give the player the chance to do much.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This Mystery Pokemon Dungeon thing is like a poke-furry fantasy come true. Thank you, Jesus!

Müg

Scholar
Jasede said:
This Mystery Pokemon Dungeon thing is like a poke-furry fantasy come true. Thank you, Jesus!

This game proved one thing to me:

1160358344606pg5.png

At least, if the little pointless test at the beginning is any indication.

And if I was a furry.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not pointless at all because you're stuck with your poke-fursona the whole story part of the game.

I got a Cyndaquil...

96925.gif

Whyyyyyyy...?

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I have to go get this Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game now.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is coming out near the end of January for the DS.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It plays like Nethack meets Final Fantasy Tactics, but with less things to do in a dungeon than Nethack and with more cute graphics. They're really charming. The whole game is charming. Had I played this as a kid, I would have become a terrible deviant.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
This is the best console I ever owned.

Zelda: Hourglass: a bit tedious, a bit easy, but buckets of awesome else
Phoenix Wright 1: holy shit, this alone made the investment in the DS worth it
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: fuck, I -am- a pervert so I love the thought of playing as a pokeyman. Also, it plays like Nethack mostly. And I love Nethack
Metroid: Zero Mission: fuck awesome. Plays like Super Metroid. A lot of people hate Nintendo for doing the same stuff over and over again. Fuck the haters. I'd rather play something good again than something new that sucks.
Sonic Rush: pretty cool, but no Tails. Tsk, way to go, Sega, miss out on the potential sales to pedophile furries!

afewhours

Scholar
Jasede said:
Phoenix Wright 1: holy shit, this alone made the investment in the DS worth it

Just wait until you meet Edgeworth. Then you get to delve into the glorious world of Phoenix/Edgeworth fanfiction.

Section8

Cipher
Just wait until you meet Edgeworth.

edgeworth.jpg

It looks like something a figure skater would wear. Also, in the true spirit of sexual deviance, the whole Maya/Mia thing is creepy as fuck.

Like when Maya starts channeling Mia, who starts coming on to you... through the body of a 10 year old girl!

Müg

Scholar
I was actually replaying Pee dub (gangster sign) one today.

Goddamn I love the music. I'm not sure why I replay these so much, this has to be the...6th? 7th? 8th? something like that....anyway, the nth time I've played this game, and I still find it somewhat fun.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Metroid: Zero Mission is a fucking cocktease. "Hay! Look at this item! Maybe you can get it before you're supposed to, by wall and bomb-jumping the fuck out of this place? - HAHAHA LOSER you need item X to get it, no matter what!".

Getting the good old standard Energy Tank right at the beginning, in the ceiling, by bomb jumping, was satisfying though - however, they made it a lot easier in this game. You just need to mash the bomb button. :| [Did it work like that in the SNES game? I don't think I ever bomb-jumped up this easily...]

Jormungandr

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Metroid: Zero Mission is a fucking cocktease. "Hay! Look at this item! Maybe you can get it before you're supposed to, by wall and bomb-jumping the fuck out of this place? - HAHAHA LOSER you need item X to get it, no matter what!".
Well, you can get the Super Missiles early, allowing you to skip a miniboss.
Still, I liked ZM better than Fusion. If only Super Metroid had such tight controls as these, it would truly have been perfect.

Speaking of Metroid... Anyone played the Super Metroid Redesign rom hack? Fucking sadistic.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
At least it's fun, unlike Super Metroid Impossible. I am currently in love with Super Metroid Limit, due to Scarboy's Let's Play. But the sheer amount of walljumping and shinesparking and bombjumping that is requires is kinda ticking me off.

Jormungandr

Liturgist
I hate bomb-jumping. Why has something that started as a cheap-ass move become a required tactic? I'm down with wall jumping and shinesparking, those are good skills and actually quite fun to do, but ball jumping is just tedious and boring... and I suck at it.

I like the idea of revamping the original game, but none of these remakes seem to understand that "annoyingly difficult and complex" =/= fun. Neither does "insanely large". As such, the level design is largely shit. Ah well.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
That's true. This is why I am having a lot of fun with Zero Mission. It "feels" right, if you know what I mean.

Say, I haven't played Super Metroid on the SNES in a while - is it just me or is bomb-jumping incredibly easier in Zero Mission? It seems all I need to do is mash the bomb button in a certain rhythm and without fail, I can infinite bomb-jump up everywhere. The move has never beenr required so far, but I still like getting a few super missiles or missiles and especially energy tanks ahead of time. Also, even shinesparking seems much easier in Zero Mission - or I just got good at it overnight. The controls are admirably tight.

Jormungandr

Liturgist
I do know what you mean. Shinesparking is so much easier in Fusion/ZM; in SM, you have to do some odd combination of buttons that I have never truly known what they were or been able to reliably pull off--I can go vertically no problem, but the sideways shinespark is just tough. But in these, there's that nice pause in the air where you can decide what direction to go. So much easier!

Bomb jumping on the SNES was also just a matter of rhythm... which is probably why these remakes give you a limit of 3 or 4 bombs at a time, such that you actually have to have the timing perfect. Heck, I used to just set my ascii pad to turbo and let it bomb jump for me.

I do like the controls, so much that it's hard to go back and play the original. The aiming diagonally set to the single L button, and having the subweapon a toggle with R is just so natural I can't imagine why it wasn't done this way in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom