Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo DS Lite & jRPGs & stuff

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hay guyze.

I have a little money saved up which isn't alloted to any particular thing. So I was thinking about getting a Nintendo DS Lite [or whatever the newest Nintendo handheld currently is]. But since I know the Codex is full of console experts, some questions:

* Does the DS Lite have the same troubles as the Gameboy Advance when it comes to light? I can only use my Advance at dusk because else, sunlight or electrical light make the display reflect half of the incoming light back at me so I can't see a thing.

* Are the Final Fantasy remakes on the DS/GBA worth it? The FF 4 remake that's in the works looks fucking damn neat. Like, really.

* Aside from Final Fantasy remakes, what's some good jRPGs or RPGs even? I heard there's Wizardry-like dungeon crawlers on it?

* Anything else that's good, aside from RPGs? Is there a good Metroid on it, for example? Or a Mario? Or Megaman? You know, the usual stock franchises.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
DS lite has 4 backlight settings, normal, bright, very bright, beam of death. I've actually used it as a torch when i'm at the computer and the electric has gone.

I don't know shit about FF.

The two dungeon crawler type games i've tried are children of mana and lunar knights, LK is pretty cool al though i can only play those sorts of games in very short burts. Really sweet cutscenes and music.

There's 2 megaman games i'm aware of, there's metroid hunters which is an fps where you use the touchscreen. New super mario bros which is a must own, SM64. 2 castlevania titles. And contra 4 which kicks my ass.

Section8

Cipher
* Anything else that's good, aside from RPGs? Is there a good Metroid on it, for example? Or a Mario? Or Megaman? You know, the usual stock franchises.

New Super Mario and Mario64 DS are great - even though they're remakes, they bring enough to the table to be worth it. Trauma Centre - Under The Knife is fucking tops, a great stylus game. I don't really play mine as much as I used to know that I'm not catching the bus everyday.

Jormungandr

Liturgist
Admiral jimbob said:
Oh, before you ask, avoid Metroid Prime: Hunters like the fucking plague. Terrible game. Just get Fusion/Zero Mission for the GBA instead.
+1. Both Metroids for the GBA were fantastic; they need to make more 2D metroid games.

If the FF6 remake ever actually got made, it would be worth it by virtue of being the only good FF game. I think it was for GBA, but that works. The Castlevanias are both good, and I prefer Dawn of Sorrow to Portrait of Ruin; of course if you play them both you'll get this annoying sense of deja vu, as PoR reuses practically every piece of enemy art from DoS.

My wife got me the new Zelda:Phantom Hourglass for christmas. It's fun, although pretty easy. Still, being pretty much a 2D Zelda, the dungeons and puzzles feel a bit like Link to the Past, which is nice.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
FinalFantasyVIAdvanceEuropeEnFrDeEs.png

Ya for GBA

afewhours

Scholar
Jasede said:

Phoenix Wright FTW! OBJECTION! TAKE THAT! Please explain to the court why this edvidence contradicts the witness' testimony! Yes! It contradicts my balls! ah hah! BAILIFF! etc.

It's all a bit fruty and silly, but, god, I loved it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's Orcs & Elves, and this one isn't anime syle.

orcs_1195611733.jpg

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
afewhours said:
Jasede said:

Phoenix Wright FTW! OBJECTION! TAKE THAT! Please explain to the court why this edvidence contradicts the witness' testimony! Yes! It contradicts my balls! ah hah! BAILIFF! etc.

It's all a bit fruty and silly, but, god, I loved it.

Sticking my neck out, I have to say I really enjoy Phoenix Wright as well. Well, apart from Justice for All, because that was a horrible game. And Apollo Justice, because that's going to be horrible even if it isn't out yet. The formula started getting a little tired at the end of game 3, so I'd be wary of a new game even if it was still focusing on Phoenix. Still, Ace Attorney and Trials and Tribulations are pretty great games.

afewhours

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
Sticking my neck out, I have to say I really enjoy Phoenix Wright as well. Well, apart from Justice for All, because that was a horrible game. And Apollo Justice, because that's going to be horrible even if it isn't out yet. The formula started getting a little tired at the end of game 3, so I'd be wary of a new game even if it was still focusing on Phoenix. Still, Ace Attorney and Trials and Tribulations are pretty great games.

Listen to what this man says. I can't be objective because I'm a drooling fanboy. They could release the same game 20 times and I'd probably keep buying it.

I'm in two minds about Apollo Justice. I was on the verge of killing myself when I heard there would be no more Phoenix, but it may give the series a shot in the arm. We shall see...

dolio

Scholar
The FF3 remake is entertaining if you like FF games. It also has all the different jobs---which is where Tactics got them, I guess---which is kind of interesting, although it isn't like tactics in that you get new jobs at certain points in the game, and not by achieving certain levels in various jobs (and you don't purchase job abilities or anything).

The only other DS-specific one I can find is a 12 spinoff, which I got for Christmas. It's sort of like an RTS, which is different for a FF game. I haven't played it enough to comment on it.

New Super Mario Bros. is a fun time-waster, although it must be pretty easy, as even I was able to beat it quite quickly.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Wow,52 belts, and a pair of short swords that don't look like they'd be good in a fight. Who the hell designed this character?

Müg

Scholar
Jasede said:
Hay guyze.

I have a little money saved up which isn't alloted to any particular thing. So I was thinking about getting a Nintendo DS Lite [or whatever the newest Nintendo handheld currently is]. But since I know the Codex is full of console experts, some questions:

* Does the DS Lite have the same troubles as the Gameboy Advance when it comes to light? I can only use my Advance at dusk because else, sunlight or electrical light make the display reflect half of the incoming light back at me so I can't see a thing.

* Are the Final Fantasy remakes on the DS/GBA worth it? The FF 4 remake that's in the works looks fucking damn neat. Like, really.

* Aside from Final Fantasy remakes, what's some good jRPGs or RPGs even? I heard there's Wizardry-like dungeon crawlers on it?

Okay I'm going to mostly ignore everything before me.

1) Except in direct sunlight, screen works fucking fantastic.
2) I didn't really like any of the FF ports except I&II, and VI. Maybe V, but it grew old fast. For some reason I really don't like IV, even though it's the first "modern" FF. III seems kinda...meh. Never got it. Oh yes, FFXII: Revenant wings looks....ehh.

Maybe it's because I really don't like the battle system and I don't really like modern FF. FF1 > all others. But that is for another time.

3) It has decent dungeon crawlers, like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue and Izuna. It also has a variety of other RPGs that seem...okay.

4) Yes. Mario 64 was pretty damn shitty compared to the real Mario 64, so skip that. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl is great if you like any main pokemon game ever; it's a bit more complicated now, so be warned. Sonic Rush is possibly the best sonic game made since S3&K. Trauma Center: Under the Knife is fucking fun, game about surgery! woo. Megaman has ZX, which isn't as hard as Megaman Zero 1-2, but isn't that bad. I have yet to play ZX Advent, which came out semi-recently. Megaman Battle Network 5 is just the combined versions of MMBN5 for GBA, I'd skip personally, unless you're a fan of the series like me. Best games were 2 and 3 anyway. Metroid, just get the GBA games: Fusion and Zero Mission. DS one is crap except for okay multiplayer, not worth it. GBA ones are works of art. Trace Memory (Another Code in non-superior parts of the world; ie not in the USA) is a solid adventure game that I really like, but for some reason it seems to be incredibly fucking high on ratings everywhere. It's still good, I just never thought it to be the best. But it is really fucking good. Zelda Phantom Hourglass is one of the best Zelda games yet, it emulates the style of the Flagship titles (Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Minish Cap) has great controls and music, and is classic zelda. One of the best DS titles. Finally, the two titles I've played endlessly: Meteos and Picross DS. If you like paper puzzles, you'll love Picross DS. Meteos is another variation on the line-up-the-blocks theme. Don't get the Disney version, it looks horrid.

Finally, I second the Phoenix Wright recommendation. However, ignore what Jimbob says about the 2nd one. Yes, it's not as good as the first and third, but I think the third's impact would be diminished without playing both the first and the second. Plus, it's still a solid adventure game in its own right. So get all three, skipping the middle one fucks up the last game I would think; several characters and mechanics are just thrown at you.
(The third one is really really really (maybe another really) good, but only if you've played the previous two) Plus the final case for number 2 ain't half bad.

My must get games, with RPGs being boosted for your convinience:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
{Either get only the first, or get all three, I strongly dissuade you from any other combination}
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Trauma Center: Under the Knife {Unless you have a Wii, then try Second Opinion instead; it's an upgraded remake}
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Sonic Rush
Trace Memory/Another Code
Megaman ZX

You'll notice aside from Pokemon, there aren't any RPGs there. That's because there really aren't any excellent RPGs for DS. :| Oh well.

EDIT: KC, it's from .hack//GU for PS2. I think. Actually I'm pretty positive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom