Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Jason Liang

Arcane
Took a month to play through CP2077, came back to Nier Automata and the PS5 no longer recognizes my save file:/ It's right there in storage but the game won't load it, wtf.

Nostaljaded

Savant

FWIW: it's a Gacha Online game; simply like their animated character models.
If interested in their battle animations/other character designs, browse their youtube channel.

Been playing it for a week or so. I am amazed how when I don't have a time to play, I often hear the game music in my mind. It happened before, but never that intensively.

The music is awesome, that's a constant in Nier games. Also, the mobile game is shutting down soon, which is actually a real problem because it had world changing lore for both nier and drakengard.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, Yoko Taro's mobile gacha shit was actually pretty cool in a story sense (albeit slow), I hope at least the original JP contents are preserved somehow, or it'll all be left in the void. :/

The fact that zombified inhabitants of the Attraction Park keep enough humanity to not attack everyone on sight makes the whole ordeal feel far more heart shattering than if they just turned hostile.

How good is Replicant compared to Automata?
4F1n3nz.jpeg

4F1n3nz.jpeg
Technically speaking, Automata is better. It has actual enjoyable gameplay, for once. But Replicant has SOVL. The story feels more personal for starters. The characters' interactions feel more meaningful too. The gameplay is kinda clunky still even if it's been cleaned up to feel more like Automata now. But I find myself thinking more about Replicant than Automata, tbh.

To give you an idea: every ending requires you to play whole parts of the game again, but with added context each time. Automata has this, but it's much more varied, and in the end the endings are just a linear path leading to Ending E. There's this theory that one of the routes was meant to be done by playing as Kainé, which was added on at the end of the new version of Replicant as an additional ending previously just available in a book. But it does mean that you'll have to do like 70% of the game again, every time. You do have to collect all the weapons for the "best" ending too. It's not that hard though, a simple guide might do, but there's also tons of weapons that you could easily miss if you rush through it. There's also the flower minigame I've mentioned before iirc, which has you harvesting flowers for 24 IRL hours each time. You can change your systems clock to make it go faster but you wouldn't cheat, right? :P

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Technically speaking, Automata is better. It has actual enjoyable gameplay, for once. But Replicant has SOVL. The story feels more personal for starters. The characters' interactions feel more meaningful too. The gameplay is kinda clunky still even if it's been cleaned up to feel more like Automata now. But I find myself thinking more about Replicant than Automata, tbh.
This pretty much. Pure gameplay and mechanics: Automata, everything else: Gestalt/Replicant. Never thought I'd thouroughly enjoy a game about a twink, hermaphrodite and faggot but waddaya know :hero:

Kefa

Literate
4F1n3nz.jpeg

To give you an idea: every ending requires you to play whole parts of the game again, but with added context each time. Automata has this, but it's much more varied, and in the end the endings are just a linear path leading to Ending E. There's this theory that one of the routes was meant to be done by playing as Kainé, which was added on at the end of the new version of Replicant as an additional ending previously just available in a book. But it does mean that you'll have to do like 70% of the game again, every time. You do have to collect all the weapons for the "best" ending too. It's not that hard though, a simple guide might do, but there's also tons of weapons that you could easily miss if you rush through it. There's also the flower minigame I've mentioned before iirc, which has you harvesting flowers for 24 IRL hours each time. You can change your systems clock to make it go faster but you wouldn't cheat, right? :P
in my head they’re both part of one big game, love them both. While on paper replicant can definitely be considered more grindy I honestly didn’t really have any issues replaying the game several times to get all the endings.
I should replay replicant, only played it once whereas automata 3 times now.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Can't speak for replicant, but I played the original. Characters are better, as is the story and writing in general. Music isn't as good. But the gameplay sucked (but it sucked with SOUL), not sure if replicant fixed this. I also didn't do any of the special endings, because they required that you grind materials quite a lot.

Can't speak for replicant, but I played the original. Characters are better, as is the story and writing in general. Music isn't as good. But the gameplay sucked (but it sucked with SOUL), not sure if replicant fixed this. I also didn't do any of the special endings, because they required that you grind materials quite a lot.
Any Yoko Taro game can before Automata can be considered jank. Japank, if you will.

Kefa

Literate
Do you really need to grind a lot for the materials? I honestly don’t remember any grind. It’s been a minute though, I played it when the remake first came out.

Replicant is the original--- Gestalt was the xbox version, which was released because americans felt weird about playing as Boy Nier.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The music is awesome, that's a constant in Nier games.
Automata doesn't quite live up to the first one though, good vs great imo.
I don't think it comes remotely close. The characters in Automata are forgettable af. The only thing I remember is the ass. The music and story were also a step back. The only thing Automata did better was combat and it's still mediocre.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Replicant is the original--- Gestalt was the xbox version, which was released because americans felt weird about playing as Boy Nier.
Fine, original western version then.
I continue to believe that the change from boy nier to papa nier is a good change that makes several story beats hit harder. One of very few times where the localization changed things for the better.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Gestalt is the superior version. The old man/father fit better with the story and themes. Also the Replicant protagonist looks like a tranny. I couldn't get over that in the PS4 version. Omg why couldn't they have remade Gestalt instead?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Do you really need to grind a lot for the materials? I honestly don’t remember any grind. It’s been a minute though, I played it when the remake first came out.
As I recall, all the max tier weapon crafting recipes required some rare material that needed to be grinded in the nearby junkyard. I vaguely recall that I looked at all my weapons, couldn't upgrade any of them, grinded up for 1 of them (a spear I think) by running the junkyard once extra and decided that was enough.

Kefa

Literate
As I recall, all the max tier weapon crafting recipes required some rare material that needed to be grinded in the nearby junkyard. I vaguely recall that I looked at all my weapons, couldn't upgrade any of them, grinded up for 1 of them (a spear I think) by running the junkyard once extra and decided that was enough.
I don’t think you need to upgrade them fully? I’m sure I didn’t upgrade all the weapons and I got all the endings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom