Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just got my copy from Amazon yesterday and played for an hour! I'm digging everything about the game so far.

Just wish someone had warned me to not die on the first boss :p
I don't know how people manage that. I am absolutely dogshit at action game, and I was probably not touched by it even once.

This isn't pointed at you. I have just read that comment a lot online.

I don't think it has to do with being good at action games or not, since the combat isn't particularly hard. But the combos flow quite nicely, and you'll just have to trigger story related events; the fact that you only do 99% of the boss fights only to have the other character doing something in a cutscene has plot related motivations, you'll find that out as you go along.
Combat with 2b is very flashy and all but she's a melee fighter. Pods have ranged attacks but 9s has a hacking ability that's very handy. Ironic that the support shota has more tools for combat than the dedicated melee unit.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Just got my copy from Amazon yesterday and played for an hour! I'm digging everything about the game so far.

Just wish someone had warned me to not die on the first boss :p
I don't know how people manage that. I am absolutely dogshit at action game, and I was probably not touched by it even once.

This isn't pointed at you. I have just read that comment a lot online.
I had to replay the intro 3 times. Died to boss, game crashed right before boss, and then set it to easy just to get it over with.

Puukko

Arcane
I just had problems with the shmup section back then, dropped it to easy and then back to hard afterwards. Then eventually to normal when I realized hard was all about being just tanky enough to survive one shots.

I got back to this recently to continue my eternity project of a playthrough. Finally figured out how to correctly play A2 and damn is she fun. I'll definitely finish it for good this time around and then get back to route B of Replicant.

The key to clear the shmup sections of Automata is the same as any other shmup game: ABS (always be shootin').

A2 is like a cooler 2B, including her lore. The lore passage with her is especially poignant. Her cutting her hair was not just a key character development mode, but also a marketing ploy so people would look at her with short hair in the trailers and assume it was just a battle damaged 2B.

In the end, 2B ended up being the most boring character in the game! But she's getting a 1:1 statue soon! You know what that means!!

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
third person melee game on K/M? :prosper:
I'm with you, but you would be surprised how many people stubbornly refuse to use a controller for anything out of some notion of being "principled" against the 'casualisation'/'console-ification' of PC games... (even games that are ports from consoles).

Comes up a lot with Dark Souls fans on here, too.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I'm with you, but you would be surprised how many people stubbornly refuse to use a controller for anything out of some notion of being "principled" against the 'casualisation'/'consoles-ification' of PC games... (even games that are ports from consoles).

That's what being principled entails.

I'm with you, but you would be surprised how many people stubbornly refuse to use a controller for anything out of some notion of being "principled" against the 'casualisation'/'consoles-ification' of PC games... (even games that are ports from consoles).

That's what being principled entails.
You chose quite the odd thing to be principled about!

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The key to clear the shmup sections of Automata is the same as any other shmup game: ABS (always be shootin').

A2 is like a cooler 2B, including her lore. The lore passage with her is especially poignant. Her cutting her hair was not just a key character development mode, but also a marketing ploy so people would look at her with short hair in the trailers and assume it was just a battle damaged 2B.

In the end, 2B ended up being the most boring character in the game! But she's getting a 1:1 statue soon! You know what that means!!

2B could use a more interesting personality, but the marketing and merchandising did well to not spoil the reveal that A2 and 9S are the real main characters of the story, with 2B being a supporting character that connects them both.

Max Damage

Savant
Default control scheme in Automata doesn't mean KBM isn't suitable for these games, Japanese ports are just shit with rare exceptions. There's config patch similar to Dark Souls, which also means PC port is the definitive way to play in the end. Unless you're fan of Lagtown, that is.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm with you, but you would be surprised how many people stubbornly refuse to use a controller for anything out of some notion of being "principled" against the 'casualisation'/'console-ification' of PC games... (even games that are ports from consoles).

BRO PCTARDS ARE GONNA PCTARD

Been reading all of the Nier lore I could find. It's scattered though dozens of materials, some of which are impossible to access now. Taro is very fond of pulling out lore details out of the blue, and I mean that literally. I've noticed that there's some alternate endings beyond E, which give us a choice that seems similar to Replicant C and D endings. I wonder if we're getting a rerelease with that ending edited into it at the end, much like how Replicant got Ending E adapted into it from Grimoire Nier.

There's some notes about how the machines make a feudal-like society after the wars are over and even start some civil wars and all. INB4 Sengoku stuff in the year 14500...

However my favorite detail is that everything happens in Japan. Nier Replicant and Nier Automata are both set in Japan. Japan numbah wan!

Ezekiel

Arcane
Only $2,400.

2b-yorha-no-2-type-b_nier-automata_scale_64ac7aa50fc70.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
True, you can't even stick it in a corner because then you can't see the ass. Probably too heavy to rotate all the time like a smaller statue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom