Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Silent Hill Announced

fork

The game dealt its finishing blow/I draw line at the town gameplay being redundant and lame in SH2 though, that was the last straw for me, when navigating town of SH1 was a genuine challenge and a fucking horrific nightmare in SH1, and even had well done side content, and overall really added to the game

What I find really boring in SH2 are those appartment complex parts. Replaying those is a real chore. Overall, I find the first game to be much more replayable.

Everything in SH2 is a chore, because it's linear as fuck from start to finish. I mean, so is the original, but it's less obvious and apparent there where to go at times. And SH2 just isn't scary at all, while the atmosphere in SH still amazes me to this day.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Pseudo internet celebrities and journos have been shilling it for over a decade as the best game in the series and have thus kept it relevant despite its age.
Even without that I think it was always going to be the most popular one. It's a console generation ahead of the first one (when console generations actually mattered) so it has better graphical fidelity and more refined controls and it's a self-contained story that resonates better with the general public compared to the third one.

Venser

Erudite
I really like this artwork

silent_hill_2_remake.jpg
It's terrible. Mary being dead is supposed to be a plot reveal at the very end of the game. From this boxart where Mary is literally in heaven, to James's constant weepy expressions, it's obvious to any new player that she's dead. The whole pacing of the story is destroyed.

What are you smoking? He says she died in the opening monologue of the game. Receiving a letter from his dead wife is what got him to go to Silent Hill and he literally says it at the start of the game multiple times. The reveal near the end of the game wasn't that she died but
how she died

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I really like this artwork
It's terrible. Mary being dead is supposed to be a plot reveal at the very end of the game. From this boxart where Mary is literally in heaven, to James's constant weepy expressions, it's obvious to any new player that she's dead. The whole pacing of the story is destroyed.

Compare it to the old boxart:

Not only is it more unsettling and so fitting for a disturbing horror game, but it doesn't rub the story in your face.

It isn't a reveal at the end of the game. The reveal is that
he killed her
. But Mary being dead is the starting point of the game. James goes to Silent hill after receiving a letter from her, which "died from a disease". Is literally mentioned at the start of the game.

About the new artwork, I don't think it ruins anything. It just shows what the game is about: The main character looking for his wife in a ghost town. About shoving the story in your face, this artwork for example is way more "revealing" and it's an official one from the era:

sh2_art_char_39.png

As someone pointed out on the thread before, this is from the game's intro

marygif.gif

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Mary being dead is supposed to be a plot reveal at the very end of the game.
I am pretty sure that the fact that the wife is dead is revealed right at the beginning. The possibility that James is wrong and that she is still alive (i.e. the existence of the letter) is the mystery that drives the game for the most part.
Edit: I see now that many people already commented on that.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
As someone pointed out on the thread before, this is from the game's intro

marygif.gif
This is a kind of red herring. You could interpret it that at some point in the game James will meet his wife and that she is indeed alive.
and this makes the final reveal even more shocking.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The "F" game is the only one that looks like it has any sort of potential but its not a Silent Hill game. If anything it looks like Fatal Frame with its strong Japanese themes. The other ones are pure cashgrabs that will at best be so bad that the series will be put on ice indefinitely and at worst will start another round of "re-imaginings" like with Resident Evil so that zoomies can also say they played Silent Hill without ever touching Silent Hill.

Why does he look asian? Isn't the entire point of Silent Hill that its American horror done through a Japanese lense?

Doesn't look Asian to me. He's just making a Japanese old man face.

James looks different in the remake because Guy Cihi sued the SH2 creators that the character in the game looks like him. Hence James cannot be James anymore :negative:

BTW there's a steam page for the game:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2124490/SILENT_HILL_2/

Wunderbar

Arcane
James looks different in the remake because Guy Cihi sued the SH2 creators that the character in the game looks like him. Hence James cannot be James anymore :negative:
that's not true, he sued because they didn't pay him for using his voice in HD remasters (some legal contract fuckery). In fact, James in "Dead by Daylight" looks more like Cihi than James in the original game.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
that's not true, he sued because they didn't pay him for using his voice in HD remasters (some legal contract fuckery). In fact, James in "Dead by Daylight" looks more like Cihi than James in the original game.
Damn, I read some untrue rumors and believed them :argh::negative:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Fingers crossed they resourced it aptly and this isn't just a cashgrab based on Capcom's success with REmakes. Konami seem ... "better" of late, but it's not exactly been a high bar.

Looks nice at least, but I don't suppose we know if any of this is actually in-game and not just some renders or something? (This is the first I've heard of it, but I've been out of the loop.)

Ravielsk

Magister
Yes, but also no. In his interview he stated that it was because of unpaid royalties they owned him because Konami fucked up and never gave him a contract that would specify a buy out of his performance. Ergo by default he was owned royalties which Konami denied pretending they have a contract somewhere laying around which of course did not exist. Because of that the remaster could not re-use the original dub without paying him royalties and so Konami rather re-dubbed the whole game.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Yes, but also no. In his interview he stated that it was because of unpaid royalties they owned him because Konami fucked up and never gave him a contract that would specify a buy out of his performance. Ergo by default he was owned royalties which Konami denied pretending they have a contract somewhere laying around which of course did not exist. Because of that the remaster could not re-use the original dub without paying him royalties and so Konami rather re-dubbed the whole game.
My favorite part about that scandal is that the person that replaced him, Troy Baker, went on to suck Konami's dick saying that it's Guy's fault and that there are no residuals in gaming. And on a completely unrelated note Troy Baker is part of SAG-AFTRA, a union for voice actors that later went on a strike because they wanted their voice-actors to be paid residuals.

Ravielsk

Magister
a union for voice actors that later went on a strike because they wanted their voice-actors to be paid residuals.
Which they in all honesty should be. If your vocal performance becomes a defining feature of a character in a video game(like in the case of David Hayter voicing snake for over a decade) its basically no different from an actor portraying a character in a movie. The industry at large has spent way too much time living outside of the norms of... well any other industry under the sun and reining that in is nothing but good.

That said Troy was a retard for way too long and right now with the whole rise of AI generated voiceovers any chance at getting residuals is effectively 0. (Well unless the technology gets banned wholesale but that is a whole different can of worms)

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Which they in all honesty should be.
No, they shouldn't. They zip in, take an exorbitant rate money down, record a few hours of lines, and then also expect things like reuse limitations, first billing and a share of the profits on a product that took tens or even hundreds of people working on it fulltime for three to five years. That money's coming from somewhere, and that somewhere's the end consumer's pocket. And while you can name the odd memorable performance in a videogame, most of them bring jack shit to the table and any average actor's as good as the next for any given role - you go used to go to the cinema because Robert De Niro's name was on the poster, but no one's ever given a flying fuck that some FPS protagonist was voiced by Troy Fucking Baker or whatever.

The only reason that they get away with this shit is because the VA union aggressively gobbles up the talent and then muscles developers into submission with the threat of withholding any and all human resource. In a healthy market, most videogame voice acting would go back to being a side gig with normal hourly rates for actors or even amateurs instead of the parasitic scam it is now.

And yes, voice synthesis will largely put an end to this in the foreseeable future. Even if entities like SAG manage to bribe "lobby" lawmakers into granting copyright on something as absurd as fucking speech patterns, the tech will soon enough develop to the point that it will be possible to train it with a limited library of voluntary seed samples and have it generate performances that are sufficiently "original" to be unimpeachable. Key roles will continue to rely on full performance capture from a number of dedicated actors, but rank and file NPCs will be relegated to software generation, streamlining production and budgets. There are other exciting developments that may come with with this "AI" tech, stuff like voice synthesis and ChatGPT working in concert for the first major breakthroughs in videogame dialogue in donkey's years, but even just saying good riddance to this racket is enough to be excited about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom