Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New screenshots for East India Company

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
New screenshots for East India Company

From the looks campaign map graphics have been improved a lot. I like the new interface shots very much. With ETW becoming more and more Hollywood I think I will get this one instead.

I still have to see if they get the gameplay right, and assuming this game sells I'd hope they make something like Pirates! afterwards .. which I was so fond of more than 15 years ago .. well is it a crime for an old man to still have hope ?

Except for the portraits, for which they obviously thought it would be a good idea to use their own photos for (it is not), doesnt it look really nice now?

http://www.eic-game.com/?page=gallery#

december_2nd_2008_1024x640_strategic03.jpg

december_2nd_2008_1024x640_tactical04.jpg

cardtrick

Arbiter
Hey, this looks really cool. I had never heard of it, but I just signed up for their newsletter. Thanks, GlobalExplorer.

LCJr. said:
Looks like clipart.

. . . what?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first screenshot looks really nice, I like the graphical style of the cities. The second one is too dark to see anything at that time of the day. I hate that window in the ceiling.
While it's lacking the land combat of Empire: TW, the sea battles indeed look way better. Do you know if there will be a demo version?

Burning Bridges

In East India Company, players will enjoy building the World's most powerful trading empire and engaging in fierce battles in both single player and multiplayer modes, all within a breathtaking cinematic environment.

Players will fight, manage and rule their trading empires from Europe to the Far East with eight nationalities to choose from: British, Dutch, French, Danish, Portuguese, Swedish, Italian or Spanish.

Starting modestly, you will build your fleet, establish connections to far away countries, and keep rival nations at bay. Choose from a wide array of ship classes, including a variety of transport and military vessels. Create diverse fleets and assign each of them specific trading routes. Control and upgrade well situated ports as you form your strategy for domination.

Conflicts and wars are inevitable. When hostile fleets engage each other, the spectacular naval battles are fought on a real-time tactical level. Devastating broadsides are fired with a deafening roar and cannon balls tear through enemy ships and their crew. For greater tactical depth, you can, at any point, take direct command of any of your ships and feel the battle close up!

Fight against the other European powers to create a trading empire that will rule above all others in this groundbreaking strategy game!

http://www.eic-game.com/?page=game_info

Swedish and Danish? Since when were they ever part of that race? I thought the game looked a bit funny with their flags plastered all over India. Still, the game seems like it will be good, but why didn't they have the Ottomans in it? Austrians? Russians?

I am guessing it is being made by one of the Scandanavian countries.

Anyway, I will definately keep an eye on this one.

Seldon

Educated
Blackadder said:
Swedish and Danish? Since when were they ever part of that race? I thought the game looked a bit funny with their flags plastered all over India. Still, the game seems like it will be good, but why didn't they have the Ottomans in it? Austrians? Russians?

I am guessing it is being made by one of the Scandanavian countries.

Anyway, I will definately keep an eye on this one.

Both Sweden and Denmark traded quite a bit in the East India, bringing in a lot of wealth. Denmark also had 2 settlements in India. Neither of the countries East India Trading companies were irrelevant actors.

kris said:
The real quesion is. Who are the Italians?

Interesting about the Scandies. Never knew that one. What wiped them out in the end?

The "Italians" is the usual lazy rubbish that game companies have used for years. In MTW the Italians were present as well. I suppose there would be at least two major Iti factions, Genoa and Venice. Maybe Sicily unless Spain already owns it by then. Possibly a few other cities.

kris

Arcane
Blackadder said:
kris said:
The real quesion is. Who are the Italians?

Interesting about the Scandies. Never knew that one. What wiped them out in the end?

The "Italians" is the usual lazy rubbish that game companies have used for years. In MTW the Italians were present as well. I suppose there would be at least two major Iti factions, Genoa and Venice. Maybe Sicily unless Spain already owns it by then. Possibly a few other cities.

From the map maybe only Venice.

Scandies were not really major players.

Burning Bridges

British, Dutch, French, Danish, Portuguese, Swedish, Italian or Spanish

Unfortunately, that's what we get - the same shit as in MTW. I would have much prefered a more historic race only between Portugal, Spain, England, Holland, James Clavell style. And now that I think about it, why is Japan not on the map?

On the other hand one can't be too picky these days with historic strategy, concerning realism this game looks still a bit better than ETW.

Burning Bridges

Nitro announced they will reveal a new ship (out of 11) every week.

5th January 2009: Sloop

Because of the enormous amount of sail related to the ships size, merchant sloops were very fast, but due to their small size they couldn't take large amounts of cargo. So they were mostly used for carrying small precious items, like gold or diamonds. With just over 10 cannons, the merchant sloops in East India Company are lightly armed for defence against minor, so they should avoid a confrontation with serious enemies. In a thight situation, a sloop should try to outrun its enemy, using the ability to outmanoeuvre large vessels. Due to their cheap price, they are good ships to start with.

screenshot_sloop.jpg

screenshot_sloop2.jpg

Nice screen, and release cannot be too far away.

Imagine, this could be Pirates2 ..

spectre

Arcane
Pretty. I wasn't impressed too much with the overmap, but these sorts of games need good graphics for sea battles. This is prolly shopped a bit for press release, but is still great.
Sail textures got better since the previous picture.

Burning Bridges

New screenshots of the Schooner, again showing the mentioned improvements, especially sail cloth, and the water is also nicer than early screens which had some sort of black/white style.

Let me add I am mostly interested in these small units, games with full fleets of ships of the line are not my cup of tea.

screenshot_schooner.jpg

this one is not ingame I think (look at the water)

wallpaper_schooner.jpg

LCJr.

Erudite
Hey GE, what do you think of the as of yet unconfirmed rumor that Lighthouse Interactive is insolvent?

http://www.simhq.com/
January 12, 2009

SimHQ has learned the unfortunate news that Lighthouse Interactive has become insolvent. We have been told their parent Canadian company has become insolvent and also their UK distributor has gone bankrupt. At this time, the future of their two armor sims, "Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942" and "WWII Battle Tanks: T34 vs. Tiger" is in question.

edit>No longer a rumor. The CEO of Kerebos has confirmed it. As long as Lighthouse doesn't own the license they'll just have to shop for a new publisher.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ouch. Game looks good, hope it'll come out.

I need some strategy gaming that doesn't screw me over with Disney history.

Burning Bridges

I hear it the first time. If eic and steel fury are in jeopardy because the publisher goes bankrupt, it just sucks.

so close to release damn

But thanks for sharing this unfortunate news ..

January 12, 2009

SimHQ has learned the unfortunate news that Lighthouse Interactive has become insolvent. We have been told their parent Canadian company has become insolvent and also their UK distributor has gone bankrupt. At this time, the future of their two armor sims, "Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942" and "WWII Battle Tanks: T34 vs. Tiger" is in question.

P.S. will post at lighthouse forum and try to get some information .. probably too early

Burning Bridges

my thread on the lighthouse forum about bancrupcy was deleted ( without comment ) .. not good

LCJr.

Erudite
They deleted the other one too.

One of the mods on The Wargamer emailed a contact at Lighthouse and their reply was they didn't know what was going to happen.

Burning Bridges

well let's see what happens then ..

Here is the weekly new screen, also (I think for the first time) showing some glimpse of land.

screenshot_cutter.jpg

Burning Bridges

Kim Soares (lead designer) thinks Panzer General is the game he spent most time on. Which makes me guess he can't be a complete moron, at minimum :)

http://www.eic-game.com/?page=blog_7

Game seems to live, btw, they kept their schedule and posted new screens of Brig, besides that short devlog.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hope they get the game out. It looks hella sweet. Like Pirates, but with some fun trading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom