Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

La vie sexuelle

Learned
If you go through old ME artbooks, they keep saying they had a priority to design female characters as sexy as they could --probably going for that Barbarella effect.

This was absent for future entries' artbooks and the problematic artbooks weren't included in the goodies giveaway they did a while back.
You wonder whether it was a particular designer's ideal of a heavily sexualised woman too. Ashley, Miranda and Isabellla are all variations of a certain type - dark hair, angular features, full lips, busty and a full waist with a big ass that's close to getting a little unruly.

Can't say it wasn't a good look to go for either. IRL used to work with a girl like that years ago. Ran into her in the cycle park one morning in her full spandex getup and the memory of how she looked still brings a smile to my face.
They were aiming at the older, fantasy novel-reading crowd. They are way more accepting of such kind of designs as self inserting for women was easier in those situations. On the other hand, EA wanted DA2 and ME2 to be as normie friendly as possible, so it might as well be waifubaiting.

So, Novel Chads likes pretty girls more than normie crowd? I don't buy that. "No pretty girls allowed" was a phase in Wester Civilization and it's going to end soon. Then Bioware remain with head in potty and that is a good thing.
I was talking about the female crowd who reads romance novels, they were a different breed and a big part of the old Bioware crowd. They weren't bothered by such things.

I've seen this view before. I don't deny that there is something to it. But I wouldn't overestimate the importance of literature for video game plots. The scriptwriters are only slightly more well-read than the average gamer, who is functionally illiterate.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Caim

Arcane
:updatedmytxt:

I was actually thinking seriously about a sex minigame with attribute checks and dice rolls.

But tbh it was just weird.
Dicso Elysicum, where our protagonist Harry has to solve the world's most gruesome case of autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong while dealing with his wide array of fetishes to get the job done.

Also Kim is now a goth chick with the fattest of tits.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
:updatedmytxt:

I was actually thinking seriously about a sex minigame with attribute checks and dice rolls.

But tbh it was just weird.
Dicso Elysicum, where our protagonist Harry has to solve the world's most gruesome case of autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong while dealing with his wide array of fetishes to get the job done.

Also Kim is now a goth chick with the fattest of tits.

So, marxism but with goth titties? I could try.

Xelocix

Learned
Marxism and goth titties go together like peanut butter and jelly bro. Maybe 1/20 goth girls arent Marxist, 1/50 of those are good looking, and 1/100 of those haven't posted their pussy to reddit.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I thought about it purely in terms of gaming. I can't imagine having a goth girl, even a pretty one, who believes in Marx. No one can survive the mixture of dark sexuality, twisted ideology and daddy issues.

I thought about it purely in terms of gaming. I can't imagine having a goth girl, even a pretty one, who believes in Marx. No one can survive the mixture of dark sexuality, twisted ideology and daddy issues.
there's a lot of commie goths, but most marxist girls are hippies.

If you go through old ME artbooks, they keep saying they had a priority to design female characters as sexy as they could --probably going for that Barbarella effect.

This was absent for future entries' artbooks and the problematic artbooks weren't included in the goodies giveaway they did a while back.
You wonder whether it was a particular designer's ideal of a heavily sexualised woman too. Ashley, Miranda and Isabellla are all variations of a certain type - dark hair, angular features, full lips, busty and a full waist with a big ass that's close to getting a little unruly.

Can't say it wasn't a good look to go for either. IRL used to work with a girl like that years ago. Ran into her in the cycle park one morning in her full spandex getup and the memory of how she looked still brings a smile to my face.
They were aiming at the older, fantasy novel-reading crowd. They are way more accepting of such kind of designs as self inserting for women was easier in those situations. On the other hand, EA wanted DA2 and ME2 to be as normie friendly as possible, so it might as well be waifubaiting.

So, Novel Chads likes pretty girls more than normie crowd? I don't buy that. "No pretty girls allowed" was a phase in Wester Civilization and it's going to end soon. Then Bioware remain with head in potty and that is a good thing.
I was talking about the female crowd who reads romance novels, they were a different breed and a big part of the old Bioware crowd. They weren't bothered by such things.
They account for the Mills & Boon-esque sensibilities of some older cRPG romance/NPC mods.

The archetypal problematised culture casualty is the modern descendent. A fact well understood by the canny bastards at Larian. Managed to transmute a turn-based cRPG into a giant pile of money via direct appeal to their specific narrative and sexual desires.

Lodis

Educated
Miranda's gratuitous ass shots were an integral part of ME2.

7Wbq3Fj.jpg

9ted6

Educated

They account for the Mills & Boon-esque sensibilities of some older cRPG romance/NPC mods.

The archetypal problematised culture casualty is the modern descendent. A fact well understood by the canny bastards at Larian. Managed to transmute a turn-based cRPG into a giant pile of money via direct appeal to their specific narrative and sexual desires.
I remember when there were complaints about Mass Effect and Dragon Age focusing too much on companion relationships and sex appeal at the expense of gameplay. Cut to 14-16 years later and everyone's shitting themselves with excitement over a fetish game that sometimes features boring streamlined RPG elements.

I remember when there were complaints about Mass Effect and Dragon Age focusing too much on companion relationships and sex appeal at the expense of gameplay. Cut to 14-16 years later and everyone's shitting themselves with excitement over a fetish game that sometimes features boring streamlined RPG elements.
The combat is allegedly pretty decent though. That's certainly an improvement if true.

Semiurge

Cipher

7Wbq3Fj.jpg

The camera angle was removed in the remaster, but modders put it back in. Bioware's decision was worthy of an oasis of facepalms, no different from censoring old books to suit modern sensibilities.

9ted6

Educated

7Wbq3Fj.jpg

The camera angle was removed in the remaster, but modders put it back in. Bioware's decision was worthy of an oasis of facepalms, no different from censoring old books to suit modern sensibilities.
There's dialogue, characters and story elements in pre-2012 Bioware games that would get them canceled now. Reddit comments contrary, Bioware wasn't always a woke prog company.

Iucounu

Educated

That's still true, note that the quotes above are about superficial eye candy (or the lack thereof), not about relationships. I suspect only a small minority of the normal population felt/feel any excitement for the romancing part (only Bioware may know the truth thanks to their in-game telemetry phoning home; but I've also heard the ME series was popular among gays at a time when gay romancing was still rare in games, which may have skewed Bioware's stats, and once almost every game started adding gay content ME lost that unique selling point).

The console port gameplay improved from poor in ME1 to average in ME3, but there's never been much excitement over that either.

I think what most people like about ME is the atmosphere, worldbuilding (and to varying degrees the plots).

Camel

Scholar
Bioware wasn't always a woke prog company.
BioWare was always disgustingly politically correct. Something must be wrong in Soviet Canuckistan.

That's still true, note that the quotes above are about superficial eye candy (or the lack thereof), not about relationships. I suspect only a small minority of the normal population felt/feel any excitement for the romancing part (only Bioware may know the truth thanks to their in-game telemetry phoning home;
Many biofans(biodrones) loved plot and romances, treating their games like visual novels and hating combat.
I've also heard the ME series was popular among gays at a time when gay romancing was still rare in games, which may have skewed Bioware's stats, and once almost every game started adding gay content ME lost that unique selling point).
Fags are 2-3% of general population, any big company will go bankrupt catering to them.
I think what most people like about ME is the atmosphere, worldbuilding (and to varying degrees the plots).
And great characters. Notice how late-stage BioWare churns out boring and forgettable characters.

Iucounu

Educated
BioWare was always disgustingly politically correct. Something must be wrong in Soviet Canuckistan.
I think ME2 has both PC and (maybe more) non-PC parts, perhaps depending on the individual writers.

That's still true, note that the quotes above are about superficial eye candy (or the lack thereof), not about relationships. I suspect only a small minority of the normal population felt/feel any excitement for the romancing part (only Bioware may know the truth thanks to their in-game telemetry phoning home;
Many biofans(biodrones) loved plot and romances, treating their games like visual novels and hating combat.
True, but that's that small (but vocal) minority. At least I hope so.

I've also heard the ME series was popular among gays at a time when gay romancing was still rare in games, which may have skewed Bioware's stats, and once almost every game started adding gay content ME lost that unique selling point).
Fags are 2-3% of general population, any big company will go bankrupt catering to them.
But if a larger proportion of fags played ME, their proportion of ME players could well have been much higher than 2-3% --but only while ME was the only gay-oriented AAA cult game. So maybe Bioware (and later the entire industry) painted themselves into a corner by catering to that fickle demographic, and with Andromeda even the gays abandoned them.

And great characters. Notice how late-stage BioWare churns out boring and forgettable characters.
True.

Parts from previous Bioware games might not look like instantly progressive to kids who discovered politics through 2016 twitter, but you have to take in consideration that they were all made with pissing off republicans in mind, just like most american gaming, in general.

9ted6

Educated
In ME1 Ashley doesn't like or trust aliens and she's religious, and she isn't made out to be bad or dumb because of it. You can agree, disagree, or say nothing on her views. Female Shepard can question Liara coming onto her because they're both women and turn her down.

In DAO there's more sexism than there was in D&D even back then and there's a manly crossdressing dwarf prostitute played for laughs.

Their games definitely had a liberal gloss to them but I don't think they got PC until Incishetquisition. That's when they rewrote a whole game's world to be as agreeable to leftist sensibilities as possible and followed that trend with Andromeda and Anthem.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
but I've also heard the ME series was popular among gays at a time when gay romancing was still rare in games, which may have skewed Bioware's stats, and once almost every game started adding gay content ME lost that unique selling point).
Gay romances in BioWare was not a Mass Effect thing (until the third).

Mass Effect 1: Liara & Female Shep is the only "same sex" option available. There are no options for flings.

Mass Effect 2: There are no full same sex romances but they do add lesbian flings with Liara DLC, Kelly and Samara/ Morinth

Mass Effect 3: First Mass Effect with actual gay romance. Kaiden is ret conned into being a faggot and I still remember him sitting Shepard down and confessing his feelings. 12 year old me was not happy. There's also STEEEVE because 1 fag was not enough.

Liara is back to being available for lesbian romance, as well as Kelly. Diana Allers becomes the token lesbian fling (who even brings the whore onto the ship?)

Dragon Age is what had gay romances, although it wasn't woke, fetish shit until DA2. DA:O gay romance with Zevran is actually good, but I don't think the fag Gaider meant it that way. A broken man, Living a hedonistic lifestyle which eats away at him his entire life. He prefers women, but his poisoned brain still continues.

Leliana, the other gay romance option. Another hedonist living a life of sin, pretending to be a changed woman. Future games show this was never the case anyways.

Iucounu

Educated
but I've also heard the ME series was popular among gays at a time when gay romancing was still rare in games, which may have skewed Bioware's stats, and once almost every game started adding gay content ME lost that unique selling point).
Gay romances in BioWare was not a Mass Effect thing (until the third).
That's good news! So me walking on eggshells in dialogs with male ME2 NPCs was not necessary after all...

DA:O gay romance with Zevran is actually good, but I don't think the fag Gaider meant it that way. A broken man, Living a hedonistic lifestyle which eats away at him his entire life. He prefers women, but his poisoned brain still continues.
And Morinth's murder case in ME2 is a good analogy of a malignant bisexual narcissist (LGBTs are said to be disproportionately narcissistic).

Elttharion

Learned
You dont add gay romance to pander only to the homos, woman are also big fans of it, either because they are crazy fujos or because they will flock to games that are seem as 'progressive'.

9ted6

Educated
DA:O gay romance with Zevran is actually good, but I don't think the fag Gaider meant it that way. A broken man, Living a hedonistic lifestyle which eats away at him his entire life. He prefers women, but his poisoned brain still continues.
I've read he actually did to Gayder's credit.

Zevran's backstory is him being mentally abused and manipulated into becoming a heartless killer. Leliana's kind of the same way too, Marjolaine took her in and manipulated her into becoming a pawn. And both of them hate what they became, especially Leliana.

So David says at least for Zevran the way you described it was his intent. The new Bioware writers would never even think of things like that, case in point being how they shit all over Leliana and make it so she was just pretending the whole time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be fair their combat design took a nosedive after BG2 and has only gotten worse with every subsequent game.
NWN was a shit game throughout, its single character combat was painfully slow and boring.
KotoR was better but the encounter design was mostly mediocre.
And later, it went from mediocre to outright terrible.

Dragon Age Origins was a game I finished back when it came out because we were in a CRPG draught. It was decent overall, but holy shit, it gave me trash mob PTSD. I felt drained at the end of it. My completionist attitude of the time might be to blame because I explored every room of every dungeon, and 90% of these rooms contained the exact same copypasted encounter. Same fucking trash mobs over and over and over and over and over again. And they don't even serve the traditional role of trash mobs. In Baldur's Gate, Wizardry, Might & Magic, pretty much every classic RPG, trash mobs serve the purpose of draining your resourcs before the big boss fights. In DA, they don't, because you automatically recover all your health and mana after combat. So the trash mobs serve no purpose other than wasting your time. An endless slog through boring, unimaginative encounters.

DA2 was even worse. They retained the trash mob spam of DA:O, but added waves to make it suck even harder. Defeat a group of 5 enemies and 5 more will spawn at the edge of the screen! Utterly fucking atrocious. I pirated DA2 back in the day, played for half an hour, and immediately quit because I didn't want to subject myself to this virtual form of Chinese water torture.

If all you play is post-BG2 Bioware RPGs, then it's only natural that you would come to hate combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom