Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

new FO3 gameplay videos - including dialogs

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well, Mr burke does get knocked over from the shockwave, MisterStone.

Also:

GODDAMN CHANDELIERS, PEOPLE. IN FALLOUT.

MisterStone

Arcane
Brother None said:
Well, Mr burke does get knocked over from the shockwave

Yes, but strangely he's not bursting into flames or clutching at his eyes screaming "I'M BLIIINND!!!!".

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I hate to sound juvenile, but the walking in third person looks like a marionette with a stick up its butt, and the heavy use of brown in the color scheme makes it look like the world is covered in poo. Also, were raised superhighways really around by the 50s?

But hey, if Bethesda is going to screw up, it might as well screw up big.

This after all is the company that brought us Obliviated, where you run into walls for a day to up athletics, get bitten by rats over and over in three types of armor to get good at wearing tin, and casting "cure 1 hp" ten jillion times is the road to mastering healing magic.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like the explosions. They generally look pretty cool. Excessive gibbing looks silly. I don't quite get how the vault door opens. I always thought the arm that pulled it out of the frame had a motor that rolled it to the side, but in the variation Beth chose for some reason I can't see what moves the door to the side.

Mareus said:
The vault which no one enters and no one leaves
The vault which no one ever enters and no one ever leaves. Toddler seems to say it in every preview and it doesn't get better.

3. Dialogs are huge improvement over Oblivion. I saw the 16% speech skill option, which is good, because it means you will probably be able to use some non-fighting skills to get more information and hopefully to solve some quests non-violently, but this is yet to be seen.

4. Megaton looked pretty good. The voices of people are way better than in Oblivion and so far they sound very good.
Whaaa?

Okay, better than Oblivion. Meaning exactly nothing. Some are okay, but some suck. The sheriff sucked. Killian Darkwater was cool. Killian got angry if you risked a lip. Facial animations and all that jazz. This guy is a fuckin' robot. Tough guy, tough guy, whatcha gonna do, watcha gonna do when I make fun of you?
Nothing.
Now I'm not sure Killian actually did anything, but it was clear when you pissed him off, and that gave him character. This guy talks big when he greets you, but then merely sounds mildly irritated and his face betrays no emotion. Pokerface, huh?

Also, I hate being told what skill value I need. That was a big annoyance in Gothic 3, and it won't be any more charming in Bethout. I also hate the abundance of popups.

1. Right when you escape the vault which no one enters and no one leaves you get 20G something with a clink sound. WTF? Level up sound is also awful and it completely breaks the immersion.
It's a wonderful, wonderful achievement! Immershun to maximum!

Jeff Graw said:
And just when you thought you couldn't make a stupider weapon than the fat-man, Bethesda comes up with.... the railway gun!

"Toot-toot!"
Heh. What makes it so remarkably bad in my book is that the gun itself isn't so bad, but Beth managed to tack some dumb sound effect on it to make it harder to bear. Not to mention a dumb name. I mean, even dumber than puddle jumper.

Mareus said:
1. I was shocked how sneaking in that super duper mart turned into a classic shooter. :facepalm:
Well, he did make a noise, so that might have been the reason.

Brother None said:
Nope, that's Fallout 3. Because according to Bethesda, that makes sense for a Fallout game.
Fallout is this wacky universe where everything is possible.

But yeah, my very first thought was "How dreamy..." followed by "This doesn't feel right."

They seem to be throwing in all these little "neat ideas" without any coherent vision. And they get rewarded for that. Some developers make an effort at designing a game, do balancing and other things that require effort and Bethesda just throws a bunch of junk together and people cheer them on.
And then some morons asks why video games aren't recognized as art or respected like other media. Well, duh.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... pic=874168
att00035bf6.gif

Shoelip

Arbiter
I've already got a minus four on gametrailers for my comment on the second video I make a few minutes ago about how I don't care about the perspective change but I don't like the complete disregard for the series, and the fact that no one notices him sticking a detonator in the bomb right in front of them... So, I guess that's why this will sell.

Mareus

Magister
I think it won't sell half as good as Oblivion. You see, most Morrowind fans that bought Oblivion are still pretty pissed about it, so don't count them to get suckered again. Most Fallout fans will probably skip this, because Bethseda raped the series. All you have left are console Oblivion fanboys (retards), so there is no way this is going to sell so well. Also forget Australia, LOL

Murk

Arcane
is every npc just waiting on edge to talk to the PC?

bloom hair ftw

edit: crabmen... thought that was a joke... ;(

sadly, this could make for a good survival game, a horrible fallout game no doubt, but a pretty decent fps i think

MetalCraze

Arcane
Brother None said:
Well, Mr burke does get knocked over from the shockwave, MisterStone.

Also:

GODDAMN CHANDELIERS, PEOPLE. IN FALLOUT.

Actually that screenshot looks like Oblivion with its generic castle hall using Qarl's textures and a modded interface.

I'm not sure if I want to spend my time watching those piece of shit videos just to tell myself "I knew it all along" so I didn't watch them. Besides all comments in this thread already told me what I wanted to know.

Also Fallout3 will sell not because of the dumb and retarded things in it, but because of a hype. It's the hype that makes retards protect and buy shit games without even playing them, like political propaganda. With all that shit context like "only retarded old fallout fan won't like this because he doesn't like everything new and progressive and old is uncool. And you can't be one of them right?"

MisterStone

Arcane
Even in NMA all people talk about is "The visuals/animation look pretty good/like shit" or "combat looks lame/fun". Will no one state the obvious, that the roleplaying elements in this game were tailored for lazy-minded dumbasses that hate secrets and are only able to deal with the glaringly obvious?

I just hate the shit that passes for quests in games now. What happened to the days when an RPG was a cross between tactical combat and a tricky adventure game? In the old days the quest would have been, "If you can make the bomb in Megaton explode somehow we will reward you greatly." Now it's, "Here is the object that you need to make the bomb explode. Take a 2 minute walk to the center of town and plant it on the gigantic fucking bomb that is just sitting there out in the open. Then go to X location to pick up your reward." RPGs by mainstream publishers are dead. The hordes of dumbasses have taken over. FUck this shit. Fuck it fuck it fuck it fuck it fuckit...

Pussycat669

Liturgist
What's more concerning to me is that they are very greedy with new tidbits even now that they are only a few months away from release. All I've seen so far was Megaton and the quest about the bomb. That doesn't exactly arouse confidence.

racofer

Thread Incliner
MisterStone said:
Even in NMA all people talk about is "The visuals/animation look pretty good/like shit" or "combat looks lame/fun". Will no one state the obvious, that the roleplaying elements in this game were tailored for lazy-minded dumbasses that hate secrets and are only able to deal with the glaringly obvious?

I just hate the shit that passes for quests in games now. What happened to the days when an RPG was a cross between tactical combat and a tricky adventure game? In the old days the quest would have been, "If you can make the bomb in Megaton explode somehow we will reward you greatly." Now it's, "Here is the object that you need to make the bomb explode. Take a 2 minute walk to the center of town and plant it on the gigantic fucking bomb that is just sitting there out in the open. Then go to X location to pick up your reward." RPGs by mainstream publishers are dead. The hordes of dumbasses have taken over. FUck this shit. Fuck it fuck it fuck it fuck it fuckit...

Maybe the mutants are sneaking in at nma.

Mareus said:
I think it won't sell half as good as Oblivion. You see, most Morrowind fans that bought Oblivion are still pretty pissed about it, so don't count them to get suckered again. Most Fallout fans will probably skip this, because Bethseda raped the series. All you have left are console Oblivion fanboys (retards), so there is no way this is going to sell so well. Also forget Australia, LOL

It's probably going to sell pretty strongly, but not in the vein that Oblivion did. Mostly due to a few nasty little factors.

-Being bookended in between Fable 2 and Gears of War 2 release dates. An action-RPG and a post-apoc shooter for the 360 that are both highly anticipated. Many 360 RPG fans will blow their cash early on Fable, and many shooter fans will wait for Gears. And seeing as the 360 is the primary platform....this could be trouble.

-Spore, quite possibly the most hyped game of the past few years also drops around he same time, with an online component to discourage piracy. PC gamers will be much more interested in this.

-Clear Sky might also take a bite out of the PC sales seeing as Fallout 3 doesn't seem to drive home much about being a vastly different product.

-PC version will likely be pirated to hell, thanks to few angry Fallout fans seeding the torrents ASAP and keeping them running smoothly. That's one thing 11 angry gys can actually do. Most pirates are leechers by heart, but now you have idealistic, pissed-off pirates. Not going to sink Bethesda, but it could take a few thousand bucks away.

-PS3 is pretty much uncontested, but I'm not sure whether PS3 gamers like Bethesda's style, and after how horrible the PS3 port of Oblivion was, whether they trust them.

-Marketing in America is going to be fun, seeing as Obama and McCain are going to be dominating the airwaves and internet as the election really heats up in September/October. Couple that with the situation in Eastern Europe that's brewing up, I don't think it's a great time to be advertising something to the Western world. "Regular people", the bread and butter of mainstream game sales, are going to have a lot more on their minds than games. Sure, the more "hardcore" will still watch, but they aren't an overwhelming amount, and not all of them like the game.

-It's M-rated, and not the Halo style M-rating that boggles the mind as to why a shooter with pink/purple alien blood and Sgt.Johnson's daytime TV trash talk gets rated so.....harshly. Might be harder for the Halo kiddies to convince mommy or daddy to get a game with a ton of "fucks", drug use, and a lot of violence.

Seems silly they decided to release in late October instead of early-to-mid December when they could pick up on the Holiday shopping rush, and be much less contested. Surprised that Beth's marketing didn't pick upon this. Guess they're too busy spending assloads on silly Power Armor statues.

Mareus

Magister
MisterStone said:

Exactly! I mean the whole idea of a bomb sitting in the middle of a town is retarded, but why couldn't have they made it at least a bit more challenging. For example why not send you on a quest to search for parts how to make a detonator. Then make you learn some science skill to learn how to put it together, or take another route and find a guy who will know how to assemble it together for you, but you would have to do something for him. Why not give in a third option where you can actually buy a detonator in some other city. Why not make it impossible to set the bomb during day, so you would have to sneak to it in the middle of the night. And why the hell put a bomb in the middle of the town in the first place? Why not hide it and make you search for clues to find where exactly it is. Hell, it could be miles away from the town and the explosion would still destroy the city.

But that's next gen crap we have to put up with, because otherwise the console retards would go crazy! "Hey, what kind of a stupid game this is? It forces me to use my brain! Fuck this shit, I am gonna go play Doom 3!"

racofer

Thread Incliner
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Mareus said:

It's probably going to sell pretty strongly, but not in the vein that Oblivion did. Mostly due to a few nasty little factors.

-Being bookended in between Fable 2 and Gears of War 2 release dates. An action-RPG and a post-apoc shooter for the 360 that are both highly anticipated. Many 360 RPG fans will blow their cash early on Fable, and many shooter fans will wait for Gears. And seeing as the 360 is the primary platform....this could be trouble.

-Spore, quite possibly the most hyped game of the past few years also drops around he same time, with an online component to discourage piracy. PC gamers will be much more interested in this.

-Clear Sky might also take a bite out of the PC sales seeing as Fallout 3 doesn't seem to drive home much about being a vastly different product.

-PC version will likely be pirated to hell, thanks to few angry Fallout fans seeding the torrents ASAP and keeping them running smoothly. That's one thing 11 angry gys can actually do. Most pirates are leechers by heart, but now you have idealistic, pissed-off pirates. Not going to sink Bethesda, but it could take a few thousand bucks away.

-PS3 is pretty much uncontested, but I'm not sure whether PS3 gamers like Bethesda's style, and after how horrible the PS3 port of Oblivion was, whether they trust them.

-Marketing in America is going to be fun, seeing as Obama and McCain are going to be dominating the airwaves and internet as the election really heats up in September/October. Couple that with the situation in Eastern Europe that's brewing up, I don't think it's a great time to be advertising something to the Western world. "Regular people", the bread and butter of mainstream game sales, are going to have a lot more on their minds than games. Sure, the more "hardcore" will still watch, but they aren't an overwhelming amount, and not all of them like the game.

-It's M-rated, and not the Halo style M-rating that boggles the mind as to why a shooter with pink/purple alien blood and Sgt.Johnson's daytime TV trash talk gets rated so.....harshly. Might be harder for the Halo kiddies to convince mommy or daddy to get a game with a ton of "fucks", drug use, and a lot of violence.

Seems silly they decided to release in late October instead of early-to-mid December when they could pick up on the Holiday shopping rush, and be much less contested. Surprised that Beth's marketing didn't pick upon this. Guess they're too busy spending assloads on silly Power Armor statues.

It's the universe conspiring to bring bethesda down, hopefully.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
MisterStone said:

I don't know... maybe people have just given up all hope that this... game... will actually be a good RPG. There's comfort in merely talking about the graphics or the combat. They don't touch on the sensitive issues because it's painful?
:D

Lemunde

Scholar
I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm forced to agree with most points presented here. I really wasn't all that excited about Fallout 3 to begin with. I didn't think it would be a bad game or anything but for some reason the hype just wasn't doing anything for me.

These were the first video's I've bothered to watch since the game was announced. In all honesty, in every respect this game is Oblivion with guns. I was expecting a different game. I figured certain aspects about the open world and such would retain that Oblivion feel. But it goes much further than that. As near as I can tell it's the same engine with the same gameplay mechanics with a Fallout coat of paint thrown on it. This by itself wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing but they seemed to have taken everything I didn't like about Oblivion and put it in this game.

The voices. What the FUCK is up with those voices. They sucked in Oblivion and they suck worse now because they throw out FUCK after every other word, like they think they're in some old Die Hard film or something. I don't understand why they think it's absolutely necessary to voice every single scrap of dialog in the game. It doesn't even sound good and all it does is piss off the modders. They're wasting their budget on this useless shit.

And yeah, I caught the hype on the nuke C&C everyone was on about. When I saw it in the video all I could think was "that's it?" Even I could see that nobody gave a crap that someone was trying to blow them all to hell with their own holy relic. I usually look past things like this but it was so friggin obvious. All they had to do was get people to start shooting at him when they saw him tampering with it. That would have been enough for me. But I guess that was too much work for them.

Even so I guess I'll end up getting it eventually. As bad as the RPG elements are I can't help but have some attraction to a game that lets me run around and shoot random shit. I'm just screwy that way. I'm going to wait until I hear some peer reviews on it first. If it runs like Oblivion STILL DOES then forget it. I'll make do with STALKER or Mercenaries 2 or something.

New updates on NMA.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_ ... ic_id=3161
Oh man just look at the Vault Boy! Horrible. I don`t know how many there are but i barely see any new ones. Now i totally understand why they had to buy the license, they were too lazy to draw new Vault Boy pictures! Or should i say PiP Boy pictures because the franchise is already so fucked up it doesn`t really matter how you call him anymore.

"Forget aiming. Just shoot." :facepalm: How about forget thinking? Just buy our game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom