Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information New Codex Eternity Rewards: In-game Presence, Chris Avellone Trolls and Signatures

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I guess I missed this somewhere, but what happens with that guy that pledged 5000 and reserved a spot for us? Will he retract his pledge? :didntreadthread:

for sure. spectacle just reserved in anticipation of the codex fundraiser. he now cancels the pledge and du'll transfer through paypal. now listen du - just let it run till the end of the kickstarter campaign! there's no need to finish this now.

Hamanu

Educated
This is perfect, enough to get a couple of NPCs into the game, but not enough for that retarded party idea. Win/Win.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So is DU really ending it or 'ending it' to get people to stop dragging their asses and donate. Too much DU snark to tell.

I kinda managed to donate $20 dollars for an eternity copy and $ 20 for the codex fund raiser. Donating to the Codex is being a part of a community that is retarded, angry, salivating and perverted, but a still a community. This isn't some feed the kids in Africa donation FFS.

You don't really understand the point of donations. People donate, not because it's a rational thing to do, but because they want to.

Yeah, that's the point. Donations aren't rational in the least, meaning that you have to catch people when they are: Aroused, excited, refreshed, enthusiastic - not when they have things at a calm distance and the second doubts. Like, in those three or four days after release, when the doubters starts taking over the discussion, real info is starting to surface...

Have you even seen that thread about the KS? How all projects gets those early surges of donations? That is because of the above effect. And there is no reason to believe that the early surge effect would be different on the dex.

Tbh I find it really strange that when you have just participated in a thread where people burn Obsidian all day long for being somewhat unprepared for the kickstarter, this very fucking fundamental fact eludes you.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
An enemy adventuring party is a great kickstarter reward and I don't know if we will ever have a similar opportuniy to create a team millioms billions of people will fight against,:declining: of the Codex

:rage:

Mirthless

Educated
For the past 2 weeks I haven't been able to enter the website for whatever reason.
What time GMT will the donations close (I will be able to donate tomorrow). If the donations are insufficient, would you prolong the donation time by a day?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It should close about four hours from the time of your post, whatever that time was for you. So tomorrow would be too late.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's cool, I'll just raise my ks pledge to $250. It's too bad the adventuring party didn't work out. This is truly a magnificent troll effort by DU. The best since 2011: Year in Review.

:bravo:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's cool, I'll just raise my ks pledge to $250. It's too bad the adventuring party didn't work out. This is truly a magnificent troll effort by DU. The best since 2011: Year in Review.

But if you pledge 200 here you get a MCA troll. Pledge 200 here, then 50 on KS maybe?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I doubt there's going to be any major increase in funding. I keep hearing people who haven't donated reckon we're suddenly going to receive thousands of dollars in the next few days - or months - or years. We just need to keep it open longer!! It won't happen. Those who wanted to donate, have. Those who haven't, don't really want to - or are putting on conditions like "if it seems like we'll get close"... No-one did that for Wasteland 2 (which incidentally, I also closed a few days early to allow time for the funds to transfer).

Well of course no-one did it for Wasteland 2 as at the time it was closed it seemed pretty final because it achieved its goal and the whole idea of being able to keep paying for rewards post-KS was pretty experimental. I even had a conversation with the W2 guys where they told me that they weren't sure if they were going to let people be able to buy reward tiers or pretty much anything apart from a digital download after the KS closed and yet here we are 6 months on and they've re-opened the high-level tiers to all and sundry!

You won't get much extra it's true for an Obsidian party, but since it hasn't reached its goal and there's no real reason why it should be closed anyway (as what's the rush?), then why not just keep the thing ongoing and maybe tie in the whole KS plan with that annual drive for keeping RPGCodex alive or some Christmas promotion or even promote it as an alternative for future new members of the Codex who otherwise would have bought a copy at the Obsidian portal directly? I actually donated to the KS already as I wanted a physical reward but would have liked to scrape up for a circle-jerking brotastic presence in some form with the Codex crew eventually, so tl;dr it doesn't cost anything to keep this open and the circumstances are different enough from the W2 Shrine drive that it would scrape up extra funds over the longer term.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I get paid Fridays about $350/ week. Last week I had a rent payment of $500, which left me pretty broke. I've already pledged $100 for PE, but have no others bills this week. Also, my normal consumption of food, booze, gas, tobacco, and toilet paper has already been accounted for. I would love nothing more than to donate to the codex, but I would get charged before I had the money in my account. On the other hand, the actual kickstarter from Obsidian doesn't end until after I would have had such funds. I'm convinced DU is trolling though, since he deliberately got our hopes up then went on to move the deadline for donations up a couple of days. I actually think it's pretty funny. It's a shame, but pretty funny nonetheless. It's also quite possible that circumstances I'm not aware of have forced DU's hand. Well, if that's the case, I guess it was just bad luck. I should have done a better job of saving money. I sincerely hope the Codex meets the goal regardless. :)

kazgar

Arcane
50 kodex kool kreds donated, hope that gets me a copy of the game.

bad time for the exchange rate to flip flop.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Those of you who are sending through < $1 contributions, you're funny. Really funny. :lol:

If we were to believe in the rational actor anyhow, donating to kickstarter is useless for anything more than the early discount, as your own donation is almost consequential in the large scheme of things. Donating the the Codex is completely irrational as you don't even get the copy... Which is why putting additional hurdles to doing it and not grabbing the moment while we had it was such a huge fucking waste. If people actually think this through they will end up not donating beyond the 20$ tier.
I was actually away for the week the P:E KickStarter began

Not away enough not to comment and say we shouldn't have it.
Yep. Not being impressed by Obsidian's lack of ideas shown in the initial KickStarter + the failure of the previous Dead State KickStarter to raise more than 1/5th of what we aimed for, meant I was more cautious this time around.

Oh yeah, there was also the small issue of not having access to the PayPal account in order to setup the fundraiser where I was because I didn't have the password with me.

It's cool, I'll just raise my ks pledge to $250. It's too bad the adventuring party didn't work out.
It's not working. You're the one that misses out forever from being able to participate on behalf of the Codex, meaning your name never gets mentioned as part of the Codex.

Oh yeah, and guess what? We've passed the $5,000¹. So sorry LeStryfe79, you lose. :smug:

However, I've just had a look at the PayPal option on Obsidian's website. We can donate directly from the Codex account, which saves me the problem of having to transfer it anywhere. So I will generously, out of the good graces of my kind hearted soul, let this campaign run until Obsidian's KickStarter has officially closed. Let's see all those whingers put their money where their mouth is.

¹Thanks mainly to some large contributors kicking in towards the end. I have to say, that was the main difference between this campaign and the Wasteland 2 one. We announced Trolls and we got a lot of $250+ donations which pushed the total up for W2 and most of the W2 campaign's success was due to a handful of very large contributors. P:E on the other hand, had a lot of $5, $10, $20 donations, and even quite a few < $1 joke donations. Until today, I wasn't seeing a lot of the large amounts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:yeah:

DU, I grant you permission to take all the money over 5k and use it to buy hookers server upgrades.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gotta tell you boys, didn't think fair Codexia would make it.
:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom