Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New AoD interview

ddmagnan

Novice
The graphics look fine. Although everything seems too clean to me. Having the buildings be streaked with dirt for example would help give the impression of a low-tech post-apoc world. That is just my taste however. Some people prefer bright clean fantasy worlds. Its probably too late to go back and change all the textures anyway.

Fryjar

Augur
Every time, I have a look at some of your recent pictures, the game looks more promising.
Although I'm pretty impressed so far, I have just two minor concerns:

First of all I have to agree with Jasede. Although the ingame description of the room is sufficient, you should think about just fleshing out the existing core descriptions/answer choices a bit, if you indeed happen to have time for that.
I think these nice little details really make a major difference in the long run, if you want to deliver a dialogue driven game.

My second complaint is about the character models. Although the rooms and the furniture are nicely modelled, the textures of the character models are not on a par with them.
The sole reason for that is, that elements like the armour appear to be only one coloured and hence a bit bland.
I would advise you to add more hues to the colours.
Just think about the last generation of the games that used the half life engine.
Although the polygon count remained roughly the same, the textures themselves became better crafted, since they used a bigger variety of those colour hues to display one element (like the skin).
I'm quite aware of the fact, that you don't have endess amounts of time at your hand, so maybe you should consider focusing on the main elements of the characters, which are the skin and secondly the armour.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
whatusername said:
When the game comes out, can you tell us your real name?
What's in a name? Anyway, the reasons for not using my real name are work related. People I work with simply wouldn't understand why a seemingly grown man is making a game filled with imaginary characters. Since my "rank" is high, my contract explicitly states that I can not be involved in any way with any other company.

whatusername

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
What's in a name?

We'd get to google image search your name and masturbate on the pictures.

Anyway, the reasons for not using my real name are work related. People I work with simply wouldn't understand why a seemingly grown man is making a game filled with imaginary characters.

Your work friends don't play video games?

Since my "rank" is high, my contract explicitly states that I can not be involved in any way with any other company.

So, you're really not allowed to work on this game? I guess Spazmo was right about you being a secret agent.

Vault Dweller

Developer
whatusername said:
Your work friends don't play video games?
I said "people I work with", not "people I'm friends with". The former would include several board directors and vice-presidents. I doubt they play video games and have anything that could be described as fun (other than golfing and drinking, of course).

So, you're really not allowed to work on this game? I guess Spazmo was right about you being a secret agent.
Well, I'm sure I can bullshit my way out if someone finds out accidentally, but I don't want to maximize the chances of that by having my name all over the internet.

Fryjar

Augur
Hm, I just wanted to expand upon my statement about colour hues and char models:
I just had a chance to look at some of your screenshots in detail and I noticed quite a difference.
While the the colour hues are really diverse, as can be seen over here:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4522/hfighter8kk.jpg

they don't look that way in your recent in game shots (just compare the armour):
http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage ... %3Dpartner

So, I hope you can clarify, how and why this transition occurs. Maybe, this difference isn't noticable in movement or some lighting effects are responsible for that, but it would be great to hear some official statements about that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Fryjar said:
So, I hope you can clarify, how and why this transition occurs. Maybe, this difference isn't noticable in movement or some lighting effects are responsible for that, but it would be great to hear some official statements about that.
The engine fucks things up. Other than that there are 4 metal types. If you look at the 2nd screen here, you'll see the same armor type on everyone, but the metal is different: bronze, iron, steel.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
-The New screens look great
-Desciption window's wording is more than adequate
-Don't give a shit what your real name is, although your first name has been "leaked" ;)

The interview is great for the most part. Like others have said, you should cut back on the self-effacing humor. Otherwise, keep up the good work

sheek

Arbiter
Er, Vince, the Gamebanshee article concept art/screenshots just link to the Characters and Press page. Anyway else I can see them?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
whatusername said:
When the game comes out, can you tell us your real name?
What's in a name? Anyway, the reasons for not using my real name are work related. People I work with simply wouldn't understand why a seemingly grown man is making a game filled with imaginary characters. Since my "rank" is high, my contract explicitly states that I can not be involved in any way with any other company.

I like your use of "seemingly" :) And I assure you that you are not the only one among your colleagues with a secret "vice" of one sort or another :) Of course that would only make them MORE likely to pounce on you to disctract attention from themselves...

Vault Dweller

Developer
sheek said:
Er, Vince, the Gamebanshee article concept art/screenshots just link to the Characters and Press page. Anyway else I can see them?
Sorry, can see what?

Ladonna

Arcane
Vince,

I have to ask this....Does it have floating text commentary, in and out of combat like Fallout?? you know, like 'My eye!! My fucking eye!!!'?

Thats something I have been missing for a long time.

As for the graphics. They work for me, I didn't follow this game to look at the soil erosion. :wink:

Vault Dweller

Developer
sheek said:
Ok...

Why not make a concept art section?
Honestly? Too much work, not enough time.

Ladonna said:
Does it have floating text commentary, in and out of combat like Fallout?? you know, like 'My eye!! My fucking eye!!!'?
Sadly, no.

sheek

Arbiter
I read somewhere that AoD is months off. Thought it was coming out in October adding to another two great games I was planning to buy. So, early 2007?

Vault Dweller

Developer
John Yossarian said:
Any updates coming up soon?
What's an update? Stuff like "Important progress has been made! The game is now 17% completed!"?

Or a full release?
Eventually.

sheek said:
I read somewhere that AoD is months off
It is. Right now it's playable and, I suppose, releasable, but I'd rather take more time. To give you an idea, at this point AoD is like Arcanum a few months before the release - too rough around the edges and practically begs for polish. In my opinion, of course.

Bradylama

Arcane
You pretty much just told us that it's 17% completed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom