Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New AoD interview

suibhne

Erudite
Is it possible for the zoom to be higher than that? RPG games often drives me nuts because the view is so tight. This is especially problematic when the interface (or character movement) is mostly mouse-driven.

Vince said:
A working monitor will greatly enhance your experience.

:lol:

In other news: why do you always play down enemy AI so much? It seems to me that what you're describing is what's offered by pretty much every other game out there, other than a few FPS's like F.E.A.R., but you always make it sound like you're offering less. Don't sell the game short. Instead of saying "Don't get carried away - we're not talking about adaptive AI", you can positively compare your enemy scripting to enemy scripting in other games.

drunkpriest

Scholar
Looks awesome, quick question though. In the screens it displays what you see down below in text, does this happen when you mouse over certain things or just when you enter the area?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
suibhne said:
Is it possible for the zoom to be higher than that? RPG games often drives me nuts because the view is so tight. This is especially problematic when the interface (or character movement) is mostly mouse-driven.
Not sure if it's possible at the moment.

In other news: why do you always play down enemy AI so much? ... Don't sell the game short.
Good point. I'm hesitant to talk (hype) about things that are subjective. For example, you say that these features are offered by every other game - I disagree, simply because the mechanics supporting that don't always exist (different attacks, different weapon choices for enemies), etc. I simply answered the question. Had I said anything more, some people may have gotten a wrong impression (the RAI syndrome) and started imagining things, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Still, your point is noted.

Vault Dweller

Developer
drunkpriest said:
Looks awesome, quick question though. In the screens it displays what you see down below in text, does this happen when you mouse over certain things or just when you enter the area?
Some descriptions are triggered (you entered something, approached something, or passed a skill check - noticed something); some descriptions are attached to objects (l-click).

protobob

Liturgist
Nice screenshots. The graphics are simple but clean. Nice colors.

fraunclein

Novice
Some quick and most likely already answered questions:
You either select a background when you create your character, instantly becoming a respected member of a faction or you try to join one later.
Backround = Character "class", right? Does this mean that I can choose not to pick one at the beginning? If so, will starting a game as a "nobody" have any special benefits? Overall, how well does the game support a "loner" character and can you finish it without joining any factions?

I'm not sure if I like the type of music you're going for. The latter sample is pretty nice, original and interesting to listen but the first sounds too much like a clichéd fantasy must-have hobbitsy village song, and it doesn't fit the setting at all in-my-humble-opinion. Maybe a score comprised of purely/mostly enviromental ambient "noise" would fit in better? The melodic parts (like AoD_Track1.mp3) could be used for things like menu music and some special occasions in-game. No offence to the artist(you?), mainly it's just me being a jerk.

Is the availability of different special attacks tied to your weapon skill and attributes? Can you learn new attacks from in-game events (e.g. from a masters of particular weapon style)?

The quest & faction mechanics & the gameworld detail (like the buried tower) sound as neat as ever. I certainly hope you'll be able to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The interview is nice & quite detailed, I dig the screens, but:
GB: Tell us about the dialogue system in The Age of Decadence. How will skills, factions, or even previous actions play a role in what dialogue is available to a character?

Vince: The 3 conversation skills need no explanation.
But you don't even mention the skills by name in the interview! Some people, who might be willing to hand you their $25, might have not read your studio's website yet and they might not know what skillset you are using. I think such interviews are a great opportunity for giving as much info on the game as you can, and I'm not sure why you didn't mention the skills in more detail - dialogue seems to be one the main selling points!

suibhne

Erudite
I think the graphics are fine - they certainly won't hurt my eyes. But it seems to me that, if you have a significant delay due to testing, you could think about raising the texture resolution and quality. Some of the replacement textures for Oblivion are a good example of what truly great textures can accomplish; even without fancy DX9 catch-phrases, you can achieve the illusion of depth and grit and whatever else.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but in general I think your models look better than some of your textures and maybe the testing time could be used to spruce them up a bit.

Otoh, maybe I wouldn't feel this way after see more than static screenies. Textures that look bland or flat in a shot might be perfectly good while playing.

Vault Dweller

Developer
protobob said:
Nice screenshots. The graphics are simple but clean. Nice colors.
Thanks.

fraunclein said:
Backround = Character "class", right? Does this mean that I can choose not to pick one at the beginning? If so, will starting a game as a "nobody" have any special benefits?
You are a stranger in these parts, nobody knows you, so some options are open, some options are closed.

Overall, how well does the game support a "loner" character and can you finish it without joining any factions?
You can.

I'm not sure if I like the type of music you're going for. The latter sample is pretty nice, original and interesting to listen but the first sounds too much like a clichéd fantasy must-have hobbitsy village song...
I agree. They are from two different guys (we've had a discussion here somewhere); I prefer the second guy's style, so nothing to worry about.

Is the availability of different special attacks tied to your weapon skill and attributes?
No. I dislike the DnD way where attacks have requirements. They way I see it, everyone should be able to try any attack, but a novice would only have a small chance to succeed. Still, "small" is better than nothing and a chance is a chance.

Can you learn new attacks from in-game events (e.g. from a masters of particular weapon style)?
No. Would be cool, but no.

The quest & faction mechanics & the gameworld detail (like the buried tower) sound as neat as ever. I certainly hope you'll be able to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish.
Thanks. I certainly hope so too.

Elwro said:
But you don't even mention the skills by name in the interview!
Doh! Thanks. I'll watch it in the future.

I think such interviews are a great opportunity for giving as much info on the game as you can, and I'm not sure why you didn't mention the skills in more detail - dialogue seems to be one the main selling points!
Mesa stupid.

Vault Dweller

Developer
suibhne said:
I think the graphics are fine - they certainly won't hurt my eyes. But it seems to me that, if you have a significant delay due to testing, you could think about raising the texture resolution and quality.
That's what we are doing right now. Compare the new screens to these ones:
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/714/714762p2.html

Anyway, question to other people: how are the screens?

suibhne

Erudite
I know you said "other people", but deal.

Here's a comment I haven't made before: I <3 flavor texts. I'm glad you implemented those for locations; I wish more RPGs did so.

Dagon

Scholar
Screenshots look much better than the previous ones, the textures are much better now,
still you should implement some lightning system :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
VD, you are smart, and you know it. You should not, however, be all too Codex-like when giving an interview. If I'd be J. Doe, your... mmm, your esprit and your.... sharpness would hurt my senses, only used to dullness.

Sometimes, your sharpness is also cutting yourself, just like Elwro pointed out.

The screenshots? Well...
It looks like NWN for the poor.
That is a vast improvement from what that game used to look like, though.

Flavour text is godly...
...I wish it was more well written. I am not a native speaker [okay, writer] myself, but...
"You enter the house. It is filled with scrolls, crates and every imaginable gadget of varied uselessness" sounds... wrong. Sorry. I don't have the native's vibe for incorrect English, so it might just be me, but it sounds wrong.

I'd... prefer this...
"You enter the cramped building, a plethora of chests and crates stashed untidily in a corner. Every nook and cranny of the house seems to be occupied with seemingly useless gadgets, many scrolls and notes strewn about all over the place."

Vault Dweller

Developer
Jasede said:
VD, you are smart, and you know it.
If you say so.

You should not, however, be all too Codex-like when giving an interview.
Too much stuff: crazy time of the year at work, game development & coordination, the PR stuff: coverage offers - must answer to everyone, dealing with digital download guys (Manifesto and a well known company that shall not be named), dealing with other developers (business cooperation), and writing this interview, trying not to repeat myself too much and give some info to new people without making it a boring interview #421 for the "old" people. Could have done better.

The screenshots? Well...
It looks like NWN for the poor.
That is a vast improvement from what that game used to look like, though.
We all know that the game won't win any graphics awards. I show what the game will look like without trying to pretty things up. I'm not being stupid, I'm being very open with people for whom we develop the game.

Flavour text is godly...
...I wish it was more well written. I am not a native speaker [okay, writer] myself, but...
"You enter the house. It is filled with scrolls, crates and every imaginable gadget of varied uselessness" sounds... wrong. Sorry. I don't have the native's vibe for incorrect English, so it might just be me, but it sounds wrong.
Actually this particular line was written by a native English speaker with a very decent style.

I'd... prefer this...
"You enter the cramped building, a plethora of chests and crates stashed untidily in a corner. Every nook and cranny of the house seems to be occupied with seemingly useless gadgets, many scrolls and notes strewn about all over the place."
I take it as "I prefer more verbose descriptions". Dully noted. If I have time, I will tweak them.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't notice it first, but compared to the older screens they really look alot better.
The third screenshot irritates me a little, though. What's the white stuff? Smoke? Fabric? It looks strange.
Also, the house looks like a model with a base plate. That'd give the gameworld a disjointed, artificial look.

Inziladun

Magister
Claw said:
The third screenshot irritates me a little, though. What's the white stuff? Smoke? Fabric? It looks strange.

Looks like an awning. Indeed, it does look strange.

Vault Dweller said:
Anyway, question to other people: how are the screens?

They look good. I agree that they could fare a bit better with higher resolutions, but they arn't pixelatious and they don't hurt my eyes, so they don't concern me.

Screenshots look much better than the previous ones, the textures are much better now,
still you should implement some lightning system

Would that really be all that doable at this stage in the production?

Crichton

Prophet
4 new screens. What do you think? Better?

I think the gameworld looks fine; as mentioned, very NWN-like.

On the other hand, the huge-ass GUI still bugs me. Suggestions:

Use Tool-Tips instead of the "description window"

Use smaller weapon/item pannels

As mentioned previously, use transparent windows when you need to use big windows, it keeps TEH IMMURSHUN by keeping the game world on screen.

Big Suggestion: Use scroll bars / pull down menus. Arcanum and PS:T didn't need to completely block out the gameworld with the "dialog window" because they had scrollable dialog. Pull-down menus could pop op for optional gameworld/item interaction (click on scroll on the ground, pull down menu offers you pick up, attack (destroy), use immidiately, etc)

edit: went nuts with the bolding

Vault Dweller

Developer
Inziladun said:
Would that really be all that doable at this stage in the production?
The lightning system is in (see the earlier "campfire" screenshots), we've got the lightning add-on to the engine, so it's a question of tweaking. And because the add-on code isn't perfect, such tweaking may take a lot of time.

Crichton said:
On the other hand, the huge-ass GUI still bugs me.
Another 3-4 weeks of extra work. Might be too late for that.

Use Tool-Tips instead of the "description window"
I know it sounds silly, but I like description windows.

Use smaller weapon/item pannels
Not possible. There is a lot of info there (attack type & selection, damage, speed, range) plus the weapon icons look neat.

As mentioned previously, use transparent windows when you need to use big windows, it keeps TEH IMMURSHUN by keeping the game world on screen.
The game world isn't that immersive graphically, and I'd prefer to immerse people into dialogues, story, and options, so big ass bulky windows are a must.

Arcanum and PS:T didn't need to completely block out the gameworld with the "dialog window" because they had scrollable dialog.
I hate to sound negative, but I hate scrollable dialogue. The dialogues are a major feature of the game, while the graphics are not even on the feature list (if we had one). So, why would I minimize something related to a major feature so I can show more of one of the weakest areas of the game? Doesn't compute.

merry andrew

Erudite
Those are the best screens I've seen so far. That's probably just because they're gameworld shots and not just combat in an open field or dialogue, but yeah.

Anyway, when/how do I give you my money?

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
It's probably too late for this but would it be possible to put in idle animations or make the current ones better? Just saying this because in the screenshots all the characters seem to be standing very rigidly and it doesn't look particularly natural, they should be a bit more loose and relaxed.

John Yossarian

Magister
I like how the guards and the character look with their weapons on the shoulder, even if they are just static shots. The one guard with the axe down, but not vertical, does look somewhat weird to me, but I would be happy with the current stances.
VD, why did you have to go and say that you need to read a lot in the game? I know of at least one game dev. who wont get your game now.:)

Cycloptis

Scholar
Something that I haven't seen addressed just yet: what are you doing to make the common NPC seem alive (outside of dialogue)? Are you going to be putting background chatter sound, are the NPCs going to have simple schedules, are they going to undergo an animation every few minutes?

I'm curious, since it's one of those things that piques my interest. Ultima VII is probably the best example I've seen yet, and it added big-time to the feel of the game. Planescape had the NPC chatter and the occasional animation (like stretching) that was sufficient. Arcanum had moving NPCs; as did Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom